Injury Watch - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Injury Watch

Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, todd said:

In my defence, he did say this year.

How many games did he play this season before his injury? I haven't really been keeping track to be honest

Doak came on in the 1st game of the season away to Chelsea. Didnt do much but to be fair to him his teammates didnt really give him the ball. Since then he played in the Europa, often subbed off either at half time or around 60 mins. He looks dangerous in parts but its not quite clicking for him as yet. Ive no fears over him, he will be a top talent but he isnt there yet and throwing him into the main Scotland team could do more harm than good. His time will come.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Doak came on in the 1st game of the season away to Chelsea. Didnt do much but to be fair to him his teammates didnt really give him the ball. Since then he played in the Europa, often subbed off either at half time or around 60 mins. He looks dangerous in parts but its not quite clicking for him as yet. Ive no fears over him, he will be a top talent but he isnt there yet and throwing him into the main Scotland team could do more harm than good. His time will come.

I agree with your points but you have to bear in mind his club team where he has Salah ahead with him who pretty much plays every game when fit then you have Gakpo, Jota, Diaz, Nunez etc all vying for the other two forward positions. He would be better off going to a smaller club next season and getting fitba under his belt 

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I saw him play against Hungary away for the under 21's. The defenders were absolutely terrified of him and totally swarmed him. I think if he hadn't been injured and squads were 26, then he would have been in.

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I saw him play against Hungary away for the under 21's. The defenders were absolutely terrified of him and totally swarmed him. I think if he hadn't been injured and squads were 26, then he would have been in.

I think if he had remained fit then he might have been in the March friendlys squad. He would have played the rest of Liverpools Europa games, the cup games and some games when Salah was in Africa.

Its not that he has played badly for Liverpool this season. Ive pretty much watched all his games and to me its a combination of teammates not giving him the ball at the right times, them not being on the same wavelength when it comes to being on the end of his good stuff, some poor / inexperienced decision making on his part and then the normal drifting in and out of games that alot of young players have.

You are correct on the Hungary game however we need to remember that was U21 level. Its the type of performance that gives people so much hope with him but I think he needs to do something similar for Liverpool before he gets called up.

Gilmour for example got motm against Liverpool in the cup where he made experienced top level pros look silly. He then followed it up with several top performances in the league. Doaks time will come but I just dont think not including him prior to his injury is a stick to beat Clarke with.

I watched the Doak games. He was lively and dangerous in all of them except for the USG game where he was on the LW, and the Chelsea game where he was on for about 10 mins. 

He was also poor in an EPL vs Brighton the season before. On the LW in that game as well. Maybe the only concern about him is that that he never cuts inside or varies it up - might explain the Klopp RW experiments.

Edited by immcinto

20 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The players you mention barring Ferguson already have a lot of caps now so wasn't talking about them plus they're not overly young in football terms. Ferguson has been given next to no time to settle into the team and show what he can do during the recent games.

Doak should of been called up previously before he was injured. Everyone can see just how much of a talent he is. You only have to look at other national teams to see what they do with their quality teenage players. Doesn't mean you need to play them but if he is getting games for one of the best teams in the world  Liverpool then wtf are we waiting on and letting him development under one of the worst u/21 coaches we ever had?

Clarke's record of bringing in youth talent may seem better but that's cause as a nation, we never seem to play young players. Plus the players he has brought in are better than the ones they are replacing since the bar is so low.

Your posts are annoying enough as it is, but I’m going to have to put you on ignore unless you promise to stop saying “would of” and “should of”.

That’s even more annoying than some of your bizarre opinions.

49 minutes ago, immcinto said:

I watched the Doak games. He was lively and dangerous in all of them except for the USG game where he was on the LW, and the Chelsea game where he was on for about 10 mins. 

He was also poor in an EPL vs Brighton the season before. On the LW in that game as well. Maybe the only concern about him is that that he never cuts inside or varies it up - might explain the Klopp RW experiments.

Lively and dangerous is a fair assesment but also ineffective. As I said previously, not all of this is down to him and is something that he will improve on no doubt.

I think RW is his position as he can cut inside but also go down the line. He has very quick feet and low centre of gravity. Salah is the perfect role model for him which is why im not overly fussed about him going out on loan, providing he still gets decent game time at Liverpool.

41 minutes ago, Marky said:

Your posts are annoying enough as it is, but I’m going to have to put you on ignore unless you promise to stop saying “would of” and “should of”.

People that have to say i'm putting you on ignore are just fannies tbh, you either ignore someone or you don't, you don't threaten to ignore someone on a public forum for coming up with an opinion that you may not agree with.

Life would be boring if everyone had the same mundane opinion on things, just cause I have a difference of opinion doesn't make it bizarre, maybe you need to open your eye a bit more?

Cheerie bye.

2 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

People that have to say i'm putting you on ignore are just fannies tbh, you either ignore someone or you don't, you don't threaten to ignore someone on a public forum for coming up with an opinion that you may not agree with.

Life would be boring if everyone had the same mundane opinion on things, just cause I have a difference of opinion doesn't make it bizarre, maybe you need to open your eye a bit more?

Cheerie bye.

I daren’t open my eye for fear of seeing any more of your horrendous grammar. 🙄

3 hours ago, Marky said:

I was going to say the same but glad you can take the flak for being "grammar police"! Apparently you're not allowed to have standards in this day and age.

Apropos of nothing, in my experience, the people who take no pride in their writing and hate people calling it out are the same people who call penalty shootouts a "lottery". No idea why.

3 hours ago, duncan II said:

I was going to say the same but glad you can take the flak for being "grammar police"! Apparently you're not allowed to have standards in this day and age.

Apropos of nothing, in my experience, the people who take no pride in their writing and hate people calling it out are the same people who call penalty shootouts a "lottery". No idea why.

A bit of an overdramatic response... 

Also, no idea what you're talking about regarding calling penalty shootouts a lottery?

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

A bit of an overdramatic response... 

Also, no idea what you're talking about regarding calling penalty shootouts a lottery?

They're not, is my point. It was just a wee observation, you don't need to understand it.

9 hours ago, duncan II said:

They're not, is my point. It was just a wee observation, you don't need to understand it.

You're having a dig at me when you're randomly saying apparently you're not allowed to have standards n all that pish. Your observation is completely over the top.

It's a football forum ffs, most normal folk don't have the time to review their grammar on here and have a life to get on with. 

Reading this thread of late doesn’t sound like an Injury update ? 

So to recap 

Callum McGregor - if the rumours are true, they say his season might be over with an Achilles Injury? There was mention of a return after the International break but still No sign of McGregor ( Scotland IMO need him back for the Euros ) 

Aaron Hickey - been out most of the season with a Hamstring Injury, if rumours are to believed then Brentford rushed him back to soon! Thomas Frank saying he is further down the line, read into that what you may but Brentford fans thinking he’ll feature before the end of the season ( again he will be vital for Scotland considering our lack of quality RB’s ) 

Billy Gilmour - during N.Ireland game went off with a knee injury and last pictured wearing a knee brace, according to Brighton out for a month. So fingers crossed should return in May sometime, if only out for a month? 

Grant Hanley - Achilles Injury from last year but has played since recovery from injury but Norwich now saying he hasn’t regained full fitness / sharpness!
David Wagner - quoted as saying  ( we all together agreed - him, myself and the fitness and medical department - to pull him out of team training because he is not as explosive and as sharp as he was when he was on his best

Jacob Brown - knee cartilage injury and had the operation but unlikely to return in the foreseeable, so unlikely to have made the Euro’s 

Scott McKenna - pulled out of the last Squad, with no real explanation other than an injury. Looking at FC Copenhagens games, he played 90 minutes against Brønby on Monday night. Promising, with Hanley struggling I’d imagine McKenna makes it should he stay fit. 

Kevin Nisbet - suffered a serious hamstring injury and according to Milwall unlikely to feature again this season, all but ending his chance of going to the Euros 

Ross Stewart - been out most of the season and recovering from a hamstring injury and from what Russell Martin had to say unlikely to feature again this season, rehab gone well and now jogging. If the Saints are in the play-offs then there is a glimmer of hope apparently but as he hasn’t featured much under Clarke and would surely have been a wildcard for the Euros 

Ben Doak - recovering from a knee injury he sustained back in December, if rumours are to be believed he’s targeting a return date this month with an eye on getting some game time in Liverpools run in……. He truly would be a wildcard if Clarke selects him but again unlikely to make it, the injury stalled any realistic chance he had. 

Calvin Ramsay - had such promise when he first went to Liverpool but injury’s have curtailed his development and currently farmed out to Bolton to gain match time but not really featuring for them for some reason? Given our RB issues, Clarke must be wishing of an alternative to Patterson should Hickey not return? 

33 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Reading this thread of late doesn’t sound like an Injury update ? 

So to recap 

Callum McGregor - if the rumours are true, they say his season might be over with an Achilles Injury? There was mention of a return after the International break but still No sign of McGregor ( Scotland IMO need him back for the Euros ) 

Aaron Hickey - been out most of the season with a Hamstring Injury, if rumours are to believed then Brentford rushed him back to soon! Thomas Frank saying he is further down the line, read into that what you may but Brentford fans thinking he’ll feature before the end of the season ( again he will be vital for Scotland considering our lack of quality RB’s ) 

Billy Gilmour - during N.Ireland game went off with a knee injury and last pictured wearing a knee brace, according to Brighton out for a month. So fingers crossed should return in May sometime, if only out for a month? 

Grant Hanley - Achilles Injury from last year but has played since recovery from injury but Norwich now saying he hasn’t regained full fitness / sharpness!
David Wagner - quoted as saying  ( we all together agreed - him, myself and the fitness and medical department - to pull him out of team training because he is not as explosive and as sharp as he was when he was on his best

Jacob Brown - knee cartilage injury and had the operation but unlikely to return in the foreseeable, so unlikely to have made the Euro’s 

Scott McKenna - pulled out of the last Squad, with no real explanation other than an injury. Looking at FC Copenhagens games, he played 90 minutes against Brønby on Monday night. Promising, with Hanley struggling I’d imagine McKenna makes it should he stay fit. 

Kevin Nisbet - suffered a serious hamstring injury and according to Milwall unlikely to feature again this season, all but ending his chance of going to the Euros 

Ross Stewart - been out most of the season and recovering from a hamstring injury and from what Russell Martin had to say unlikely to feature again this season, rehab gone well and now jogging. If the Saints are in the play-offs then there is a glimmer of hope apparently but as he hasn’t featured much under Clarke and would surely have been a wildcard for the Euros 

Ben Doak - recovering from a knee injury he sustained back in December, if rumours are to be believed he’s targeting a return date this month with an eye on getting some game time in Liverpools run in……. He truly would be a wildcard if Clarke selects him but again unlikely to make it, the injury stalled any realistic chance he had. 

Calvin Ramsay - had such promise when he first went to Liverpool but injury’s have curtailed his development and currently farmed out to Bolton to gain match time but not really featuring for them for some reason? Given our RB issues, Clarke must be wishing of an alternative to Patterson should Hickey not return? 

Good post but I think your not up to date on some of the info, I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. 

McGregor - think is training & could even feature in the Old Firm game this weekend.

Hickey - may not play for Brentford again this season but expects to be fit in May , so let's hope training & match sharpness can be gained in our June friendlies as we desperately need him. 

Brown - don't know but prefer he wasn't selected anyway. 

McKenna - Pleased he is back playing as even though he may not be a world beater we really do need him. 

Hanley - Wasn't aware Wagner had said this , if it's true I would be very concerned as he is a naturally burly guy who needs to be playing to keep his levels up, if he isn't starting regular for Norwich before the end of the season I wouldn't want him starting for Scotland. I'm actually very concerned Clarke's loyalty may mean 2 of our central defence choices will be a either not match sharp or past their best in Hanley & Cooper .

Nisbet - sadly injured but hasn't kicked on at Millwall so the jury's out on his long term international career.

Stewart - Believe is doing light training but after breaking down so quickly from a previous long term injury I can't see Southampton risking him this season unless Adams etc are seriously misfiring. 

Doak - Idk but hope your right that he could be back training & even playing by May. Be a very pleasant surprise if he could make the first team squad again this season & make an impact . I'm sure most of us should love that to happen just to see what Clarke would do especially if the squad is increased to 26.

Ramsay - sadly injury has ruined his season, he may also be suffering from Patterson style confidence issues as he didn't even get off the bench on Monday even though his league one side Bolton brought 5 subs on in a 5-2 victory. Sadly we can't really call him even a potential Scotland player at this stage . Next season will be very crucial for his future, let's hope the lad stays fit 

4 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Good post but I think your not up to date on some of the info, I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth. 

McGregor - think is training & could even feature in the Old Firm game this weekend.

Hickey - may not play for Brentford again this season but expects to be fit in May , so let's hope training & match sharpness can be gained in our June friendlies as we desperately need him. 

McKenna - Pleased he is back playing as even though he may not be a world beater we really do need him. 

Hanley - Wasn't aware Wagner had said this , if it's true I would be very concerned as he is a naturally burly guy who needs to be playing to keep his levels up, if he isn't starting regular for Norwich before the end of the season I wouldn't want him starting for Scotland. I'm actually very concerned Clarke's loyalty may mean 2 of our central defence choices will be a either not match sharp or past their best in Hanley & Cooper .

Nisbet - sadly injured but hasn't kicked on at Millwall so the jury's out on his long term international career.

Stewart - Believe is doing light training but after breaking down so quickly from a previous long term injury I can't see Southampton risking him this season unless Adams etc are seriously misfiring. 

Doak - Idk but hope your right that he could be back training & even playing by May. Be a very pleasant surprise if he could make the first team squad again this season & make an impact . I'm sure most of us should love that to happen just to see what Clarke would do especially if the squad is increased to 26.

Ramsay - sadly injury has ruined his season, he may also be suffering from Patterson style confidence issues as he didn't even get off the bench on Monday even though his league one side Bolton brought 5 subs on in a 5-2 victory. Sadly we can't really call him even a potential Scotland player at this stage . Next season will be very crucial for his future, let's hope the lad stays fit 

I don't think Nisbet, Doak or Ramsay had any chance of making it even if they get fit. Stewart and maybe Brown have a tiny chance if they bangs in a few before the end of the season but again, its very unlikely.

The others mentioned are players we need, especially McGregor, Mckenna and Hickey

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't think Nisbet, Doak or Ramsay had any chance of making it even if they get fit. Stewart and maybe Brown have a tiny chance if they bangs in a few before the end of the season but again, its very unlikely.

The others mentioned are players we need, especially McGregor, Mckenna and Hickey

The only ones on that list (as you say) likely to be in the Euros squad (if fit) are McGregor, McKenna and Hickey. If Hanley gets game time he should make it too. The rest were never really in the running.

Out the list of players that are injured, highest priority are Hickey & McGregor of course and then IMO McKenna since we are lacking badly in the CB department and Hanley is getting past it now it looks like.

Doak has to be included if we are taking a 26 man squad even if he doesnt get game time. 

Edited by Scotty2Hotty

5 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Absentee - cheers for update, wasn’t aware about McGregor. Fingers crossed he isn’t rushed back because it’s an old firm game and has a setback…… 

We want every Scotland player available but McGregor Hickey Gilmour would be a huge loss to Scotland in the Euros 

Fingers crossed for Hickey, sounds like Brentford are nursing him back slowly and he has an outside chance 

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Out the list of players that are injured, highest priority are Hickey & McGregor of course and then IMO McKenna since we are lacking badly in the CB department and Hanley is getting past it now it looks like.

Doak has to be included if we are taking a 26 man squad even if he doesnt get game time. 

Something in me says there could be a compromise on squad numbers when UEFA sit down and have this chat, I’m just dreaming maybe delusional but I’m thinking a 25 man squad will be the number…… 

The last squad Clarke selected, I was slightly disappointed in the balance of it !! 

More Keepers than Forwards ?? We all know only 3 keepers will travel, as long as Gunn stays fit then in all honesty the 2nd keeper is somewhat important but the 3rd keeper is just there for the camaraderie and shooting practice. 

If a 23 man squad that leaves 20 outfield players, which on balance should equate to 8 defenders 8 midfielders 4 forwards 

If a 25/26 man squad, then maybe Scotland could bring an actual winger ( Fraser or even Doak if fit ) or just possibly Clark begs Barnes to join up! 

If Hanley + Hickey don’t recover / make it and Patterson continues to bench warm at Goodison then we have a serious issue in defence, I’m not sure what the answer would be?? 

But I’d like to see the squad size increased, is there anyone from the U21’s that could step up?? 

51 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Something in me says there could be a compromise on squad numbers when UEFA sit down and have this chat, I’m just dreaming maybe delusional but I’m thinking a 25 man squad will be the number…… 

The last squad Clarke selected, I was slightly disappointed in the balance of it !! 

More Keepers than Forwards ?? We all know only 3 keepers will travel, as long as Gunn stays fit then in all honesty the 2nd keeper is somewhat important but the 3rd keeper is just there for the camaraderie and shooting practice. 

If a 23 man squad that leaves 20 outfield players, which on balance should equate to 8 defenders 8 midfielders 4 forwards 

If a 25/26 man squad, then maybe Scotland could bring an actual winger ( Fraser or even Doak if fit ) or just possibly Clark begs Barnes to join up! 

If Hanley + Hickey don’t recover / make it and Patterson continues to bench warm at Goodison then we have a serious issue in defence, I’m not sure what the answer would be?? 

But I’d like to see the squad size increased, is there anyone from the U21’s that could step up?? 

Yeah considering we will likely only have three games to play then having four keepers is just excessively safe.

Would rather have someone like a Tommy Conway, Max Johnston, Bowie, Bowat in rather than a couple of the useless plodders we usually have in the squad