4 friendlies before Euros - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 friendlies before Euros

stocky

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/16/steve-clarke-was-100-confident-scotland-would-qualify-for-euro-2024?utm_term=652ea9c1c594d650ab2abcb510de2ec4&utm_campaign=TheFiver&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=fiver_email

In a guardian interview before the France game Stevie Clarke said we have 2 competitive games and 5 friendlies coming up 

Better start saving lads ..

I wonder who we will play.

The Ireland's will be in the mix for sure 

Edited by stocky

• stocky changed the title to 4 friendlies before Euros

We have no option, UEFA say that if we want the TV money, we are expected to play a minimum of 10 games per year (thats why we arranged the Turkey game last year as we were a game short) so we were always going to play 2 in March and 2 in May/June.

(Edit: he is including last nights France game in those 5 "friendlies", so its only 4 between now and the Euros)

Hopefully with Hampden not off limits now like it was in 2021 for the Euros, we get a proper send off game, so imagine at least 2 of those 4 will be at home.

Edited by wanderer

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Could be 3 pre euros friendlies as that’s quite common for other countries after checking the friendly schedule before the last euros. 

I think that was more down to COVID and how stop-start it had been for players, and aiming to get them match fit for the finals.

Nothing says that we can not play 3 games in May/June, but I doubt it will be the case.

Most likely March will be 2 games (one home and one away) and could potentially be announced very soon after next months fixtures are done and before the Euro draw (just get games against two sides who have not qualified for the Euros, not involved in Nations League Play-off's and in same pot as us for Decembers draw).

May we will probably have a wait on (ideally it would be a game at Hampden, and then a game in Portugal/Austria/Spain etc as part of a pre-Euros training camp)

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Anybody but Israel. Sick of the sight of those bastards.

When I was looking at the possible teams we could draw in the finals, that was one that stuck out (they are in with a good chance if they win their 3 remaining games, and think they may also have a Nations League play off spot in reserve)

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

When I was looking at the possible teams we could draw in the finals, that was one that stuck out (they are in with a good chance if they win their 3 remaining games, and think they may also have a Nations League play off spot in reserve)

I did exactly the same, it would just bring a slight downer to the occasion for me if we draw Israel. Plus, Israel are forecasted to qualify as a Pot 4 Team! Analysis here, Current Standings and Forecasted Standings:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sPAM6KBimzCIqsRICuLOUT0R_UQsWzcWiv1rEnHS4DE/edit?usp=sharing

5 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

I hope we get a home friendly against a team outside of Europe. Not had one of those home fixtures for some while. Someone like a Morocco or Japan or Chile.

If we were preparing for a World Cup I would agree but we need to warm-up with teams with European-style of play which we will face at Euros.

1 hour ago, DesiScotsman said:

I hope we get a home friendly against a team outside of Europe. Not had one of those home fixtures for some while. Someone like a Morocco or Japan or Chile.

There is a load of South American teams coming to Europe in March in preparation for this South American teams in the Nations League hook up that is going to happen, so strong chance that it may be a non-European team in March.

May/June will be interesting, as the Squad will need to meet up in Scotland, and given Clarke and his distaste for Oriam, good chance that he may make the team meet up at Middlesbourgh again (as that was their camp for the last Euros) as that way they can meet up, travel up to Glasgow for a game at Hampden, and then back before maybe a game at a neutral venue in England somewhere before traveling on to the base camp in Germany.

Edited by wanderer

5 minutes ago, wanderer said:

There is a load of South American teams coming to Europe in March in preparation for this South American teams in the Nations League hook up that is going to happen, so strong chance that it may be a non-European team in March.

Interesting. I remember that there were rumours that the South American nations were going to be joining the European NL setup but didn’t expect it to materialise.

Wonder how this will work if it is indeed going ahead.

6 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Interesting. I remember that there were rumours that the South American nations were going to be joining the European NL setup but didn’t expect it to materialise.

Wonder how this will work if it is indeed going ahead.

Not 100% but I think the top tier groups are getting made into teams of 3, with a 4th team added in from the South American teams, and it would be as you were with a home and away game (in this case if you have (for example) Colombia, we would play them in Glasgow and the away game would be in Madrid or Lisbon.

For March, you can already forget about Poland, Finland, Iceland, Bosnia, Estonia and Georgia, as they are assured a play off spot already..... you then have a cluster of teams who may or may not qualify via their Euro Qualification League like Croatia, Italy, Israel, Greece, Kazakhstan and Luxembourg.

3 minutes ago, YesTA said:

Do you think these friendlies will/should be counted towards the points for the Euros allocation? Hopefully there will be a clear statement soon as possible.

I'd expect clarification next month once the qualification games are concluded.  

A new ticket sales window opens on 2 December after the draw has been made. I would think SSC allocations will go on sale quite soon after then as UEFA will want the €.

It was much later for us for last Euros as we were in the playoffs... no worries on that front this time! 😁

image.thumb.png.1287b14fd5c3c3e91ced23d37554b42b.png

3 hours ago, GLOSTA said:

A new ticket sales window opens on 2 December after the draw has been made. I would think SSC allocations will go on sale quite soon after then as UEFA will want the €.

It was much later for us for last Euros as we were in the playoffs... no worries on that front this time! 😁

image.thumb.png.1287b14fd5c3c3e91ced23d37554b42b.png

Is that sales window possibly the for the supporters club rather than a new public draw?

11 hours ago, YesTA said:

Do you think these friendlies will/should be counted towards the points for the Euros allocation? Hopefully there will be a clear statement soon as possible.

Sure they will, the SFA will use the friendlies to make money and the desperation for Euro 24 tickets will ensure full houses for any home friendlies. Points make money 🤑🤑🤑