Chances of Scotland Qualifying for Finals V SPAIN - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chances of Scotland Qualifying for Finals V SPAIN

Craig Fae Hamilton

I wanted to know the chances of ABSOLUTE Qualification in our next Game! I'll have a bash at the % chance, any more accurate calculations, let me know.

• Scotland Qualify IF we DRAW or BEAT Spain.............. OR
  • Norway DRAW or LOSE versus Cyprus

The Norway Calculation is easy to make. They need to WIN ALL there games to have any chance of over taking Scotland.

Scotland BEATING Spain is also easy as neither Spain or Norway could over take us.

If Scotland DRAW with Spain it is more complicated. But in this situation, Scotland QUALIFY regardless of the Norway Result. It would leave us 6 Points Clear of Spain. Spain would have 3 Games remaining. If we were to finish the Group level on Points with Spain it goes to the HEAD to HEAD results between us, NOT Goal Difference. So Scotland would beat them. That means to over take us, they would need at least 2 Wins and a Draw from the final 3 fixtures. To get that, They would need a minimum of a Draw V Norway. And, as Norway need to win all Games, in that scenario Norway would be OUT!

Best Odds available on the games as at 17.50 27th Sept at Oddschecker:

Home Team                      /         Draw              /                Away Team             /            Over Round

Cyprus   9/1 (10%)       /        4/1  (20%)    /     Norway  7/20 (74.07%) /                4.07%

Spain  1/3  (75.02%)    /        4/1  (20%)   /      Scotland  9/1  (10%)      /                5.02%

And, with the Over Round removed (assuming it is split across all 3 Outcomes) it puts the chances at:

Scotland Win = 8.33%

Scotland Draw = 18.33%

Cyprus Win = 8.64%

Cyprus Draw = 18.64%

TOTAL = 53.94% that Scotland secures Qualification in the Spain Game!

On 9/27/2023 at 6:06 PM, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

I wanted to know the chances of ABSOLUTE Qualification in our next Game! I'll have a bash at the % chance, any more accurate calculations, let me know.

• Scotland Qualify IF we DRAW or BEAT Spain.............. OR
  • Norway DRAW or LOSE versus Cyprus

The Norway Calculation is easy to make. They need to WIN ALL there games to have any chance of over taking Scotland.

Scotland BEATING Spain is also easy as neither Spain or Norway could over take us.

If Scotland DRAW with Spain it is more complicated. But in this situation, Scotland QUALIFY regardless of the Norway Result. It would leave us 6 Points Clear of Spain. Spain would have 3 Games remaining. If we were to finish the Group level on Points with Spain it goes to the HEAD to HEAD results between us, NOT Goal Difference. So Scotland would beat them. That means to over take us, they would need at least 2 Wins and a Draw from the final 3 fixtures. To get that, They would need a minimum of a Draw V Norway. And, as Norway need to win all Games, in that scenario Norway would be OUT!

Best Odds available on the games as at 17.50 27th Sept at Oddschecker:

Home Team                      /         Draw              /                Away Team             /            Over Round

Cyprus   9/1 (10%)       /        4/1  (20%)    /     Norway  7/20 (74.07%) /                4.07%

Spain  1/3  (75.02%)    /        4/1  (20%)   /      Scotland  9/1  (10%)      /                5.02%

And, with the Over Round removed (assuming it is split across all 3 Outcomes) it puts the chances at:

Scotland Win = 8.33%

Scotland Draw = 18.33%

Cyprus Win = 8.64%

Cyprus Draw = 18.64%

TOTAL = 53.94% that Scotland secures Qualification in the Spain Game!

If we draw with Spain we qualify regardless of the drivel you have posted. 

Going by the odds you quote there is only a 46.8% chance Scotland qualify the night of the Spain game. You need to calculate it like an accumulator. Multiply probability of Spain winning (0.7333) by probability of Norway winning (0.7272)=0.5322. That is the probability of not qualifying. Subtract that from 1

5 hours ago, immcinto said:

Going by the odds you quote there is only a 46.8% chance Scotland qualify the night of the Spain game. You need to calculate it like an accumulator. Multiply probability of Spain winning (0.7333) by probability of Norway winning (0.7272)=0.5322. That is the probability of not qualifying. Subtract that from 1

Now I need to check.........

Chance of Spain Winning: 75.02-1.67=73.35

Chance of Norway Winning: 74.17-1.36=72.81

Accumulator: 0.7281x73.35=53.34%

1-.5334=46.66% So yeah, you are correct.

But, why do the Chances of the other 4 Outcomes combined come to 53.94%? What am I missing?

13 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I'd be amazed if we get anything out of this game. Spain seem to have hit form and although Porteous and Hendry are decent players, they're probably not good enough to an in-form Spain out. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Amazed is maybe a bit strong for me but yeah I would agree we are unlikely to get anything.

The same thing was said by many people before we beat Spain in March though. Paris 2007 as well. 

You just never know. 

We need a proper statistician for this thread. Although safe to say, we have around a 50/50 chance of qualifying in the next Round of Games.

Going with replies, the majority on this thread are erring on the side of us not qualifying this Match Day.

I think we might do it via a Cyprus DRAW. But, any route would do, it would be brilliant to get it done and dusted off the back of our own performance versus Spain.

Mon' the Scotland!

Basically if we avoid defeat to Spain and we qualify, if we lose, then it will be officially confirmed the following week unless Norway can pull off as big a shock as we did against Spain at Hampden (Norway are in the position we are usually in where we know we need to pick up 3 wins out of 3, and one of them is against the top seed, and in Spain's case it looks like they are out of 1st gear now)

Norway currently 17/5 to beat Spain in Oslo.  Add that to the probability of either Cyprus v Norway or Spain v Scotland going our way and the chances of qualifying by next Sunday are 88%

(56% chance of Norway and Spain winning next week, only 22% chance of Norway then beating Spain = 12.32%)

Been practising my statistics. 

45 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Basically if we avoid defeat to Spain and we qualify, if we lose, then it will be officially confirmed the following week unless Norway can pull off as big a shock as we did against Spain at Hampden (Norway are in the position we are usually in where we know we need to pick up 3 wins out of 3, and one of them is against the top seed, and in Spain's case it looks like they are out of 1st gear now)

My concern is if Spain beat us, they are qualified essentially (provided beat Cyprus away and Georgia at home in November which they will) so maybe arent at 100% v Norway or rest few guys as they did against us. And obviously the Haaland factor as well.

23 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

My concern is if Spain beat us, they are qualified essentially (provided beat Cyprus away and Georgia at home in November which they will) so maybe arent at 100% v Norway or rest few guys as they did against us. And obviously the Haaland factor as well.

They qualify, but does not mean they win the group.

That is the important factor, as group winners will be the top seeds for the Euro draw, so Spain can not take their foot off of the gas against Norway.

Rewatching Norway v Georgia, Gorgia could have grabbed the draw with the last kick of the ball, so Spain will probably go in to that game with both eyes fixed on a win in order to win the group.

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

I think Spain will be 'expecting' to beat both us and Norway. Fingers crossed we set about them like we did last time.