Womans World Cup..... - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Womans World Cup.....

Interesting to reflect on changing nature of women's sport. For most of my lifetime the biggest women's sports in terms of participants have probably been hockey and netball. If England became world champs at either of those sports those successes would get nowhere near the coverage that the England football team will get if they win. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I think there's always the possibility that teams can do well in one tournament and then flop at the next (e.g Italy Euro winners, then don't qualify for next WC). You can have key players injured, get older, retire but certainly seems to indicate more long term issues.

Think there's always the chance but with the speed the women's game is changing countries are going to need to be front and centre or get left behind.  It'll be interesting to see what the US do as at best they've stood still.  Technically loads of teams have taken them over and their physicality is no longer a game changer so they maybe need a total rethink.

9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Interesting to reflect on changing nature of women's sport. For most of my lifetime the biggest women's sports in terms of participants have probably been hockey and netball. If England became world champs at either of those sports those successes would get nowhere near the coverage that the England football team will get if they win. 

The numbers playing at grass roots is wild. We're in a place with 3 primary schools and in under four years have gone from 2 teams to 9 teams u17 and 200 players 

Went to a tournament in Edinburgh and the technical ability of the u12s in comparison to the u16s is readily apparent- the quality is going to go through the roof.

Another thing I reckon is they've stumbled on their niche market almost by chance.  It may attract women who didn't already like blokes playing football but seemed a bit fanciful to be honest that would be enough- instead it's increasingly obvious dad's with daughters is where success lies. 

7 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Another thing I reckon is they've stumbled on their niche market almost by chance.  It may attract women who didn't already like blokes playing football but seemed a bit fanciful to be honest that would be enough- instead it's increasingly obvious dad's with daughters is where success lies. 

I'd agree here, from my experience of taking my daughter to training/games, the coaches are almost to a person dads who would have been running their son's team if they had a boy rather than a girl.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/aug/17/sarina-wiegman-gareth-southgate-england-fa-womens-world-cup

https://news.sky.com/story/sarina-wiegman-the-genius-lionesses-coach-hoping-to-end-almost-60-years-of-world-cup-hurt-for-england-12941211

A lot of hype around the England coach right now. Its classic english media but some of this is pure nonsense. the headline on sky news about ending 60 years of hurt for england is crazy. I dont know a single male england fan who would agree with that. 

Let the women set their own records, let them grow their game instead of trying to shoe horn both mens and womens game together. 

I have no interest in watching women’s football, however can’t avoid having seen and heard bits on TV leading into this match tomorrow. It would be easy to think only England Women were playing in this game, and Spain Women simply don’t exist. I was in Leeds on Thursday, and not one male football supporting colleague was remotely excited by the prospect of England Women possibly winning their version of a World Cup

If England win, fair play to them. They have a large pool of players to choose from, and have undoubtedly been helped by the vast amounts of money swirling around the English game and massive promotion by the BBC. It wasn't that long ago that Charlton disbanded their womens team when their men got relegated from the EPL so credit to them for getting their act together. I do find it remarkable that neither 'I love my air flights' Sunak or Prince William is attending and can't help feeling that this wouldn't be the case if it was the men in the final.

Some of the traditionally strong teams have underperformed at this tournament but positively the gap between stronger and weaker nations does seem to have closed which is good news for the credibility of the women's game. 

I do fear that we may be coming into an era of English dominance accompanied by all the unpleasant hype that surrounds their men's team. Hopefully if England do win today it will be just an added incentive for Caroline Weir, Erin Cuthbert etc. to get one over them when we next meet!

10 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

I have no interest in watching women’s football, however can’t avoid having seen and heard bits on TV leading into this match tomorrow. It would be easy to think only England Women were playing in this game, and Spain Women simply don’t exist. I was in Leeds on Thursday, and not one male football supporting colleague was remotely excited by the prospect of England Women possibly winning their version of a World Cup

The coverage now mirrors the men's coverage. Nobody else matters, there is no opposition only the lionesses. 

The only sensible reaction I have seen to all the hype was from Harry redknapp. He didn't tow the party line, he said siegman needs to earn her stripes in the men's game before being considered for the England job after Southgate leaves

On 8/17/2023 at 8:37 AM, ThistleWhistle said:

Sitting watching this with my daughter now mate. She's getting into and the bonus is she wants Spain to win 😆 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The English goalies reaction after saving the penalty 😂 

Got to admit I quite enjoyed her screaming 'Fuck off!' after she saved it.

Her and Carter were probably the only two with pass marks.  Some of Spain's interplay was brilliant.

Genuinely enjoyed the tournament and its come on massively.  I think I'd be tempted to go to the next tournament we qualify for as wee lass is bang into it. 

Really enjoyed the tournament- not as polished as blokes obviously but that money is yet to ruin it means there's still competition from the uncertainty of how good all the teams actually are.

Japan technically were streets ahead but couldn't cope physically.  US were physically intimidating with all the finesse of a wounded cart horse on an icy path.

If Scotland got to Switzerland in 2025 would be tempted to go as its in school holidays, probably get tickets, cheaper than the blokes and wouldn't be bursting at the seems with weapons grade bellends.  

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

If Scotland got to Switzerland in 2025 would be tempted to go as its in school holidays, probably get tickets, cheaper than the blokes and wouldn't be bursting at the seems with weapons grade bellends.  

Not a cheap holiday in Switzerland though!