Culture thread - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Went to the Banksy Cut and Run  exhibition in Glasgow on Monday. Wasn't quite sure what to expect but it was well done and enjoyed it. Definitely worth going to.

His Walled Off hotel in Bethlehem is probably the most interesting museum Iv ever visited 

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

The Peter Howson exhibition at the city art centre in Edinburgh is well worth a look, will be visiting the V and A Dundee for the tartan exhibition at some point

I love Peter Howson. I used to use quite a lot of his religious stuff in my RS lessons. I'm going to see his exhibition in a couple of weeks time.

I cant say I am a culture buff but there have been a few places I have visited that have truly taken my breath away like St Stephens basilica in Budapest. Absolutely stunning and although I am not religious in any way I always feel a real sense of serenity in religious buildings. 
My hometown has a museum that is going through a massive makeover. I really hope they manage to pull this off as it would be spectacular. I remember the old museum as a child, there was a massive elephant and tiger I was really scared of. I used to have a combined sense of dread and excitement at the same time when you came to the room they were in. 
The proposed plans for Paisley museum.

https://paisley.is/visit/paisley-museum/ 

Also went to the Mary Quant exhibition at Kelvinhall in the afternoon. Interesting not just from a fashion point of view but also from a historical point of view. Fashion mirroring the Sixties as a time of social change, creativity and optimism.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I cant say I am a culture buff but there have been a few places I have visited that have truly taken my breath away like St Stephens basilica in Budapest. Absolutely stunning.

Did you visit Puskas? His tomb is down in the crypt.

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My hometown has a museum that is going through a massive makeover. I really hope they manage to pull this off as it would be spectacular. I remember the old museum as a child, there was a massive elephant and tiger I was really scared of. I used to have a combined sense of dread and excitement at the same time when you came to the room they were in. 
The proposed plans for Paisley museum.

https://paisley.is/visit/paisley-museum/ 

I remember once going there (Paisley) and that tiger was the highlight. I hope it's still there.

17 hours ago, exile said:

I remember once going there (Paisley) and that tiger was the highlight. I hope it's still there.

I would hope they keep it just for the fact it’s been there that long the tiger itself is seen as historical 😊 Its probably a lot smaller than i remember, as a child everything seems huge. 

This could be a big asset to Paisley if it is done properly. Paisley is so close to Glasgow Airport it would easy for tourists to visit. Just hope they keep the spending on track as its a huge project. 

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I would hope they keep it just for the fact it’s been there that long the tiger itself is seen as historical 😊 Its probably a lot smaller than i remember, as a child everything seems huge. 

This could be a big asset to Paisley if it is done properly. Paisley is so close to Glasgow Airport it would easy for tourists to visit. Just hope they keep the spending on track as its a huge project. 

I actually went there from Glasgow Airport 😅. Plane was delayed by several hours, what to do to fill the time - what better than go to Paisley and see the sights. Go to a museum, be surprised by (seeing) a tiger.  It looked as if it had seen better days, I wonder if it is 'refurbished'. 😅

When I worked there, I used to admire the cruise ship tourists who elected not to pay for a bus trip to Loch Lomond or wherever, but instead explore the real culture of Greenock in their safari shirts, long socks and sandals.

Pretty much what I wear daily here at home myself mind you;  and on away trips I've wandered around many a back street unused to visitors in my kilt.   Keeping it (sur)real...

...my sort of serious point being that I'd rather see some real life (contemporary culture) than a palace/museum.   Sometimes.

On 7/16/2023 at 5:47 PM, exile said:

I actually went there from Glasgow Airport 😅. Plane was delayed by several hours, what to do to fill the time - what better than go to Paisley and see the sights. Go to a museum, be surprised by (seeing) a tiger.  It looked as if it had seen better days, I wonder if it is 'refurbished'. 😅

😂 I wish I had known,  I could have recommended a few more sights in Paisley,  though most would have made the tiger look almost majestic by comparison. 

If you are visiting again when it reopens pop into the Wee Howff just across the road. Good wee pub, hope the museum refurb doesn’t turn it into a wine bar. 

On 7/17/2023 at 9:14 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Going on Sunday - have only heard good reports about it. 

Hope you enjoy it. We bought the souvenir brochure at the end, can't remember how much it cost. I was a bit reluctant but it was a nice momento as it included virtually everything that we saw at the exhibition.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:55 PM, TDYER63 said:

😂 I wish I had known,  I could have recommended a few more sights in Paisley,  though most would have made the tiger look almost majestic by comparison. 

If you are visiting again when it reopens pop into the Wee Howff just across the road. Good wee pub, hope the museum refurb doesn’t turn it into a wine bar. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

The only other thing I remember in Paisley was some sort of nightclub near the river with a weir and old mills? Only a suitably hazy memory of it, though.

11 hours ago, exile said:

Thanks for the recommendation.

The only other thing I remember in Paisley was some sort of nightclub near the river with a weir and old mills? Only a suitably hazy memory of it, though.

Think that was probably The Garage. Anything Glasgow has Paisley does better 😁

On 7/25/2023 at 10:17 AM, TDYER63 said:

Think that was probably The Garage. Anything Glasgow has Paisley does better 😁

I had to google this as I assumed from the description it was referring to the Institute 😂 … never knew it had been called the Garage before. 

12 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

I had to google this as I assumed from the description it was referring to the Institute 😂 … never knew it had been called the Garage before. 

😂 glad to have provided you with some pub quiz trivia from the olden days 😁

4 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

I was recently struggling to remember the name of the pub round the corner - the Turf Tavern.  Old age and poor memory must be coming to me. 🤪

My friends mum and dad managed the Turf in the 80’s and probably much of the 90’s ! 
It was too much of an old persons pub though ,  me being young and supercool at the time 😁 Was good enough for a couple of free drinks right enough! 

Went to the Peter Howson exhibition in Edinburgh (just at the back if Waverley). I appreciate that he's not everyone's cup of tea but was interesting and worth seeing. It's got his pictures spread out over three floors, some from his early days and experiences in the army, his time in Bosnia, his religious stuff and some of his more recent works, in including pictures of Madonna and Bowie). Also a couple of really interesting videos where he talked about his work. Was there for about 90 minutes but could have been there for longer. Worth seeing.