SNP Indy Convention - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP Indy Convention

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Setting off early tomorrow to go to Dundee. No idea really what to expect. Whether this is another event full of hot air or whether it can be a catalyst to get things going on.

Just take a couple of big signs with "BOO" and "RUBBISH" on them and hold them up often 

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Anyone else still unconvinced at this guy’s motives and agenda?

How is was to how it's going ?

hydro.jpg

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Under Nicola Sturgeon’s leadership.  

Completely different sort of event, so a totally false comparison. 

Now here I go again, I see the crystal vision
I keep my visions to myself
But it's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams, and
Have you any dreams you'd like to sell, dreams of loneliness?
Like a heartbeat, drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had
And what you lost
And what you had
Ooh, what you lost

On the train back. Generally encouraged as I didn't necessarily have high particularly hopes. All the speeches in the morning were good, contributions from members a bit of a mixed bag but that is to be expected. Positives for me is the intent to make independence the no 1 priority for the next GE and calls for unity amongst Yes campaigners. On a personal note, bumped into an old friend who'd moved up here a few years back, so that was a pleasant surprise.

40 minutes ago, stocky said:

Anglosplaining nonsense from a metropolitan commentator, not far from the surface there’s an undercurrent of too wee, too poor, too stupid.  

The problem with these guys is that they look at this as a “problem” from the UK - read English - perspective and don’t understand the mindset of the Scots.

What they don't understand is that for the English, the UK and an England are essentially the same the thing.  In Scotland, the UK and Scotland are two distinct and separate entities and where there is support in Scotland for the Union it has always been conditional.

11 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I’ve only read the BBC summary.  

Has Humza basically said we win the election and ask for indyref - exact same as now? 

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and the old boss before that.

19 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

On the train back. Generally encouraged as I didn't necessarily have high particularly hopes. All the speeches in the morning were good, contributions from members a bit of a mixed bag but that is to be expected. Positives for me is the intent to make independence the no 1 priority for the next GE and calls for unity amongst Yes campaigners. On a personal note, bumped into an old friend who'd moved up here a few years back, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Glad you enjoyed it. I had hoped to go but my daughter graduated during the week and had a party yesterday. You should try and join the Business for Scotland online conventions, I felt more optimistic after the last one I joined.

48 minutes ago, stocky said:

From that piece.
British author can see what the other half this country cant.

IMG_6984.thumb.jpeg.3a5e2ddf19ee214946533dec6688f544.jpeg

2 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

So no strategy for independence then other than continuing to make a load of noise. 

That’s not quite what I am saying.  However if you’re prepared to give me a different option then I’m all ears.

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I had hoped to go but my daughter graduated during the week and had a party yesterday. You should try and join the Business for Scotland online conventions, I felt more optimistic after the last one I joined.

From that piece.
British author can see what the other half this country cant.

IMG_6984.thumb.jpeg.3a5e2ddf19ee214946533dec6688f544.jpeg

There’s a number of things that are wrong with that analysis.

It is planted directly in the “GERS” space which as we know is highly controversial measure which in itself has lots of things wrong with it.

The UK is not by any definition a poor country - it may not be a well off as some people think but it’s not poor.  

Using GDP per capita, which would be the best measure of a nations economic health,  Scotlands GDP is £33, 033 compared to the UK’s £33, 703.

In fact, it’s only when you drill into these numbers and also those in the GERS space that you see how unbalanced the UK economy actually is.  London - massively - and the South East “out-perform” all other regions and nations of the UK and “subsidise” everyone else - I use those terms advisedly.

Emigration has been going on for centuries, not decades.

The only part he gets right is that Scotland’s resources have been plundered.  Since the 1970s and North Sea oil, that’s been to prop up the UK Treasury and Kier Starmer is planning to continue that with renewables.