Team for Norway - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Norway

er yir macaroon

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Very much hoping Haaland enjoyed himself too much in Ibiza yesterday. 

Wouldnt surprise me if he pulls out of the Norway squad. Fingers crossed. 

Having said that Sorloth is still way better than what we have up front. 

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. I'm sure he is proud as any other Norwegian to represent his country & they really need to kick start their campaign ,  he will be playing unless injured . 

Be disappointed if the rumour of Souttar being injured again is true, I would prefer he plays as feel he is physically stronger & better in the air than Hendry which might be crucial at some point in the game.

Reality is though if we don't stop the supply Haaland will score.

4 hours ago, thesaint said:

Don't care if Haaland scores as long as we end up scoring more than them. Let's concentrate on what problems we can cause them. Their defence looks vulnerable. 

Absolutely. Haaland can score a hat-trick for all I care as long as we score 4. 

A draw would be a decent result for us in fairness but it would likely mean we’ll need to beat Norway at Hampden so I’d much prefer a win. Anything but a defeat would keep us nicely on track though. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

A draw would be a decent result for us in fairness but it would likely mean we’ll need to beat Norway at Hampden so I’d much prefer a win. Anything but a defeat would keep us nicely on track though. 

A draw would be a fantastic result. What makes you say we'd necessarily need a win at Hampden? We'd still be 5 points ahead of them.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

A draw would be a fantastic result. What makes you say we'd necessarily need a win at Hampden? We'd still be 5 points ahead of them.

Not basing it on anything other than we’re bound to drop points in a game we shouldn’t somewhere in the campaign.

If you think we’re going to go into our final game only needing a draw to qualify or having already qualified (I hope you are correct) then you’ve been supporting a different Scotland than I have over the last 30 years. 

If we are going to qualify early (or at least only needing a draw in our game against Norway at Hampden) then a win on Saturday would go a long way towards it. 

As you say though a draw would be a great result but a victory would be even better. 

Do you not think we can win? 

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

A doubt we need to win our last game if we draw with norway on saturday. We get 4 points from these 2 games and we are practically home and dry barring a catastrophe.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Not basing it on anything other than we’re bound to drop points in a game we shouldn’t somewhere in the campaign.

If you think we’re going to go into our final game only needing a draw to qualify or having already qualified (I hope you are correct) then you’ve been supporting a different Scotland than I have over the last 30 years. 

If we are going to qualify early (or at least only needing a draw in our game against Norway at Hampden) then a win on Saturday would go a long way towards it. 

As you say though a draw would be a great result but a victory would be even better. 

Do you not think we can win? 

I think we can and will win. At that point Norway will pretty much throw in the towel.

It's pretty likely that we will drop points, but I can't see Norway following up a draw with us with a five game winning streak, which would include Spain.

I actually think Norway needing to win on Saturday will play into our hands. Norway will be wide open, and we have multiple players that are fantastic on the counter. We just need a sharp spearhead.

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think we can and will win. At that point Norway will pretty much throw in the towel.

It's pretty likely that we will drop points, but I can't see Norway following up a draw with us with a five game winning streak, which would include Spain.

I actually think Norway needing to win on Saturday will play into our hands. Norway will be wide open, and we have multiple players that are fantastic on the counter. We just need a sharp spearhead.

I don’t understand how you can feel a draw would be a fantastic result if you also think we are going to win but I guess it will come down how both team play on the day and how the game goes. 

Norway will definitely be under a lot of pressure which will play into our hands. I don’t think we’re definitely going to win or even definitely going to get a point but if we play well and keep Haaland quiet we definitely have a chance of either if things go our way. 

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t understand how you can feel a draw would be a fantastic result if you also think we are going to win but I guess it will come down how both team play on the day and how the game goes. 

Norway will definitely be under a lot of pressure which will play into our hands. I don’t think we’re definitely going to win or even definitely going to get a point but if we play well and keep Haaland quiet we definitely have a chance of either if things go our way. 

It is a match that could go either way. However, far less pressure is on us. Even if the worst happens and we lose we are still a point up on what most Scotland fans would have taken from Spain (H) and Norwat (A). I think fans would have been happy with a draw at home to Spain and a draw away to Norway. Sadly, a loss for us and doomongers will be right in like flint declaring our qualification hopes are over and Norway are sure to finish above us. Its the Scottish mentality.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

A doubt we need to win our last game if we draw with norway on saturday. We get 4 points from these 2 games and we are practically home and dry barring a catastrophe.

I think you might be making the dangerous assumption that Spain are going to go to Norway and win and that we are going to match Norway’s result in Georgia. 

Norway have played 2 of their most difficult games already. They have a point from their away games in Spain and Georgia which is potentially 1 point more than we are going to get from our away games against those 2 teams. 

Our position is obviously looking very good at the moment because we beat Spain at Hampden but if we draw on Saturday and beat Georgia on Tuesday we could potentially take only 1 or 2 points from our following 3 games. 

If we do take 4 points from our next 2 games we will likely be 5 points ahead of Norway with 4 games to go which is a very strong position but with games in Georgia and Spain to come isn’t unassailable. 

In that scenario I think we will be OK as long as we win in Cyprus and/or take something in Georgia but we could theoretically be facing Norway in November on the same points as them or even behind them if they also beat Spain at home. Our GD is far superior at the moment but that could change pretty quickly. 

I am probably looking for problems where they don’t exist but one thing is certain in my mind - we will be nowhere near qualifying after our next 2 games unless we win them both and even then I’ll be taking nothing for granted. 

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a match that could go either way. However, far less pressure is on us. Even if the worst happens and we lose we are still a point up on what most Scotland fans would have taken from Spain (H) and Norwat (A). I think fans would have been happy with a draw at home to Spain and a draw away to Norway. Sadly, a loss for us and doomongers will be right in like flint declaring our qualification hopes are over and Norway are sure to finish above us. Its the Scottish mentality.

If we lose on Saturday then it’s game on as far as I’m concerned - as long as we beat Georgia on Tuesday. Our last game would then likely be a massive winner takes all affair although a draw might be good enough for us depending on other results.

A draw on Saturday and a win on Tuesday would put us in a very strong position but nothing more than that. 

2 wins and we would need a disaster in the rest of the campaign not to qualify. What could possibly go wrong? 😂

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is a match that could go either way. However, far less pressure is on us. Even if the worst happens and we lose we are still a point up on what most Scotland fans would have taken from Spain (H) and Norwat (A). I think fans would have been happy with a draw at home to Spain and a draw away to Norway. Sadly, a loss for us and doomongers will be right in like flint declaring our qualification hopes are over and Norway are sure to finish above us. It’s the Scottish mentality.

I also meant to say the pressure on them could be a huge factor. They know they really need to win to keep it in their hands and if things don’t go their way early on they could crumble. 

Probably wishful thinking on my part but you never know. 

A draw or defeat will also put massive pressure on them for the rest of the campaign while we could class the first half as a major success, again, as long as we beat Georgia at home.

With a playoff place also already in the bag you would think we could go into the second half of the campaign more relaxed and able to play with a freedom that we have never really experienced before. Not for decades anyway. 

Massive 2 games coming up for us. 

4 hours ago, syecosse said:

A few interesting pull outs from the Under 21s.....Max Johnstone, Ben Doak and Hayden Hackney

I haven't heard much about that boy Hackney, but it does sound like he might be the next cab off the rank if someone drops out from central midfield.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

1 hour ago, Templeton_Peck said:

See thats Haaland now joined up with the Norway squad.

How do we stop the service when they will be trying to feed him every chance they get ?

With any luck he’ll still be hungover and will do a Gary Lineker on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

You’ve obviously not seen what he’s been up to for the last few days. 

I hope you are right!!  But by the looks of that guy he could drink all week and still be as fit as anything.  But no I haven't seen what he has been up to.  I remember Brian McGinlay the referee at an after dinner event,  He said he overheard Billy McNeils team talk at Ibrox.  He told Peter Grant to go out and nail Graeme Souness.  Grant said but what if I get sent off boss?  Billy said they will miss him more than we will miss you!  Probably 100% made up but a good laugh though,

2 hours ago, SamP said:

I hope you are right!!  But by the looks of that guy he could drink all week and still be as fit as anything.  But no I haven't seen what he has been up to.  I remember Brian McGinlay the referee at an after dinner event,  He said he overheard Billy McNeils team talk at Ibrox.  He told Peter Grant to go out and nail Graeme Souness.  Grant said but what if I get sent off boss?  Billy said they will miss him more than we will miss you!  Probably 100% made up but a good laugh though,

My mate was a semi-pro cyclist and he wouldn’t drink for at least a month before a big race. Said it totally ruined his training and had an impact on him in a race if he even had a moderate drinking session within a week before it. 

Everyone is different obviously and football is a completely different sport to cycling but I’ll guarantee you one thing - drinking heavily, smoking cigars and barely sleeping for 3-4 days in the run up to a huge game isn’t going to do Haaland any good. 

He may well recover before Saturday but let’s hope he doesn’t. 

Edited by Texas Pete

28 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

My mate was a semi-pro cyclist and he wouldn’t drink for at least a month before a big race. Said it totally ruined his training and had an impact on him in a race if he even had a moderate drinking session within a week before it. 

Everyone is different obviously and football is a completely different sport to cycling but I’ll guarantee you one thing - drinking heavily, smoking cigars and barely sleeping for 3-4 days in the run up to a huge game isn’t going to do Haaland any good. 

He may well recover before Saturday but let’s hope he doesn’t. 

He's relatively out of form too. 1 goal in his last 8 games.

Here's hoping he has a shocker.