Harry Kane 'Song' - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harry Kane 'Song'

Robbo `81

Watching a video from the other night and once again hear a charmless ditty about Harry Kane 'licking windaes on the bus'

I'm the first to admit to have sung songs with offensive lyrics in the past on many occasions,  but surely in 2023 we have moved on as a support, and a society to the point rubbish like this should be consigned to the past ?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Robbo `81 said:

Watching a video from the other night and once again hear a charmless ditty about Harry Kane 'licking windaes on the bus'

I'm the first to admit to have sung songs with offensive lyrics in the past on many occasions,  but surely in 2023 we have moved on as a support, and a society to the point rubbish like this should be consigned to the past ?

Absolutely.

Was this inside the stadium or somewhere else? When this sort of nonsense goes on, it needs to be called out and challenged from the supporters of the same team, and stopped as soon as possible.

Just now, Whelky75 said:

Absolutely.

Was this inside the stadium or somewhere else? When this sort of nonsense goes on, it needs to be called out and challenged from the supporters of the same team, and stopped as soon as possible.

On this occasion it was the march from The Shed, previously I heard it on stairs leaving stadium after ROI game , group of guys easily my age or older ( I'm 52)

1 minute ago, Robbo `81 said:

On this occasion it was the march from The Shed, previously I heard it on stairs leaving stadium after ROI game , group of guys easily my age or older ( I'm 52)

Wow, what wonderful upstanding members of society 🙄 I thought you meant teenagers, who didn’t know better, or were showing off to their friends.

It is pathetic.  Used to listen to all the fannies getting all googly singing about posh becks being a slapper.  Something wrong with all these wee pricks that sing songs like that instead of songs about their own team.  Sad fuckers.

1 minute ago, SamP said:

It is pathetic.  Used to listen to all the fannies getting all googly singing about posh becks being a slapper.  Something wrong with all these wee pricks that sing songs like that instead of songs about their own team.  Sad fuckers.

I don’t think that singing songs about another team is the problem, it’s just knowing where to draw the line in terms of not stepping over into being racist, homophobic, misogynistic, ableist, etc, etc, or also in terms of singing songs mocking people who have died.

I must admit I’ve crossed the line as a Scotland fan in the past, as I was young and didn’t know any better and was just copying what the other fans were singing. I’d certainly try to make amends for that now, by calling out anyone who I heard singing such vile nonsense. Especially if they were adults who should know far, far better.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Was "cheer up Terry V, Oh what can it mean to a sad English Bastard and a shite football team" OK?

I mean, it’s borderline, isn’t it? Obviously there’s little difference in what we mean by it - and I would hope nobody would mean it in a racist way either way - but I think changing it from ‘English’ to ‘England’ would make it move from unacceptable to acceptable. I certainly would sing it that way, and not the way you quoted.

I know that’s a tiny difference, but that’s the way language works! One is - I believe - a racist combination of words, one isn’t. Please don’t shoot the messenger here, if anyone is looking for an argument about ‘not being able to say anything any more!’

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Was "cheer up Terry V, Oh what can it mean to a sad English Bastard and a shite football team" OK?

I sang it loud back in the day, even then tho was never keen on the 'Alan Shearer packet of sweet and a cheeky smile' song...

Ultimately,  we all have a past and all have standards we adhere, we do things we are not proud of, bottom is this, I would like to live in a society / country/ planet where no-one sings ' Harry Kane licks the windaes on the bus, he's a fucking mongo'

These type of songs are started by an angry fud looking to look big thinking he is appealing to the stereotype Scotland fan. Depending on how many fuds are around him at that time the song either dies a death or gets sung. I suppose it depends too on circumstances but the other night no need for it as we weren't even playing England so seems borne out of jealousy.

Thinking about it realistically, the general masses can only really focus on a small amount of issues to condemn relative to the overall number of issues out there. In descending order of social taboo, the current priority looks something like this: racism, gender discrimination, homophobia, disability discrimination. Out of that list, disability discrimination is a distant last place in the order of social agenda.

I said this at the time of the Harry Kane songs starting (London 2021) that it is poor and its hard to believe that everyone singing along wouldn't have at least 1 friend or family member affected by disability, but the flock mentality of a football crowd leaves any such considerations out. Especially when the issue at hand is so far down the social pecking order mentioned above.

I've made similar comments in the past regarding sectarian singing or songs about opposing team's legends who have died. If such verbal output to display your dislike towards an opposing rival team, rather than dozens of people running about kicking each others heads in or stabbing one another, then I think it is a fair pittance to pay, given the historic tribalism within football fanbases.

55 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Thinking about it realistically, the general masses can only really focus on a small amount of issues to condemn relative to the overall number of issues out there. In descending order of social taboo, the current priority looks something like this: racism, gender discrimination, homophobia, disability discrimination. Out of that list, disability discrimination is a distant last place in the order of social agenda.

I said this at the time of the Harry Kane songs starting (London 2021) that it is poor and its hard to believe that everyone singing along wouldn't have at least 1 friend or family member affected by disability, but the flock mentality of a football crowd leaves any such considerations out. Especially when the issue at hand is so far down the social pecking order mentioned above.

I've made similar comments in the past regarding sectarian singing or songs about opposing team's legends who have died. If such verbal output to display your dislike towards an opposing rival team, rather than dozens of people running about kicking each others heads in or stabbing one another, then I think it is a fair pittance to pay, given the historic tribalism within football fanbases.

I think people and teams need to stand up to their fellow supporters on these sort of issues, because when resistance and criticism comes from opposition supporters and teams, or neutral parties such as the media, the government, or the police, then it creates a kind of siege mentality and only encourages and emboldens the type of idiot who engages in this sort of behaviour.

'Harry Kane eats spaghetti with his hands'

was sung loudly on the tube back from Wembley at the Euros.

I was joining in.

I haven't heard the 'newer' version.

An couple of arsenal fans loved it and said they were going to add it too their repertoire . 

36 minutes ago, stocky said:

'Harry Kane eats spaghetti with his hands'

was sung loudly on the tube back from Wembley at the Euros.

I was joining in.

I haven't heard the 'newer' version.

A couple of arsenal fans loved it and said they were going to add it to their repertoire . 

I don’t think that’s the best of things to be bragging about singing either.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, Robbo `81 said:

On 4/1/2023 at 8:11 PM, Whelky75 said:

Wow, what wonderful upstanding members of society 🙄 I thought you meant teenagers, who didn’t know better, or were showing off to their friends.

In actually fact, in our current society, I'd say it's far more likely that teenagers/young people are the ones that actually do "know better" and 50somethings more likely to be the ones singing songs like this.

4 hours ago, Marky said:

In actually fact, in our current society, I'd say it's far more likely that teenagers/young people are the ones that actually do "know better" and 50somethings more likely to be the ones singing songs like this.

We can be too precious. Kane is an illiterate boor, who is also a blatant cheat and diver. A horrific role model as an England captain and representative of the declining standards of modern youth and, therefore, ripe for getting ridiculed at any opportunity. I don't personally sing derogatory songs but there's worse things to worry about.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

We can be too precious. Kane is an illiterate boor, who is also a blatant cheat and diver. A horrific role model as an England captain and representative of the declining standards of modern youth and, therefore, ripe for getting ridiculed at any opportunity. I don't personally sing derogatory songs but there's worse things to worry about.

Don’t disagree with you at all mate, but that wasn’t the point I was making.

I was addressing the suggestion that young people were likely to the culprits rather than older people, when in reality young people are generally speaking considerably more “educated” on these matters than folk over 50. 

1 hour ago, Marky said:

Don’t disagree with you at all mate, but that wasn’t the point I was making.

I was addressing the suggestion that young people were likely to the culprits rather than older people, when in reality young people are generally speaking considerably more “educated” on these matters than folk over 50. 

Yeah, wasn't having a go. Just my thoughts. I'm 50 exactly. Always thought I was pretty enlightened but feeling more alienated by all things youth culture.

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Yeah, wasn't having a go. Just my thoughts. I'm 50 exactly. Always thought I was pretty enlightened but feeling more alienated by all things youth culture.

Nearly 57 and feel your pain mate. 👍

Worlds gone nuts if people are saying there’s a prob with the the ‘cheer up Terry v’ song. Really? Its a …. granted, fairly shite ….. insult at your no. 1 rival, and there is nothing wrong with it. Terry and the English nation would say the same.

And Posh Spice…… folk are getting way too precious 😆

Edited by ger intae them

41 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Worlds gone nuts if people are saying there’s a prob with the the ‘cheer up Terry v’ song. Really? Its a …. granted, fairly shite ….. insult at your no. 1 rival, and there is nothing wrong with it. Terry and the English nation would say the same.

It’s the phrase ‘English b*****d’ that’s defined as racist though. The sentiment of the song is fine, in terms of insulting a rival football team, and hopefully most of us don’t mean to be racist when singing derogatory songs about our rivals, but we’d need to find a way to rephrase those two words, even just slightly, to not include the phrase in question.

8 hours ago, ger intae them said:

The posh spice song didn't offend me and I sure wouldn't offend posh spice or beckam.  They would feel like me.  It is pathetic, small minded and shows up decent Scotland supporters.  To sit in some far flung bars and listen to some overgrown weans pissing themselves laughing at that still makes me cringe.  Even worse with this pish Harry Kane song.  Don't go to as many games now but I would be tempted to say something if I heard this in a pub.

14 hours ago, duncan II said:

I can only speak for myself, but in that particular chant 'Harry Kane' isn't the bit I have a problem with