Euro 2024 - group discussion - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 - group discussion

romanticscot

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a story for Joselu. Toiled away for years in Germany and England (played for Stoke and Newcastle) and finally got a first call up at 33! Now two goals in a minute so he'll be starting at CF on Tuesday which probably won't be too bad for Hanley as will be more of a physical duel.

5 hours ago, todd said:

Why are Spain top of the group?  Surely the only thing separating us is alphabetical order.  If I'm not mistaken c comes before p!  Not that important, I know, but hey!

Tiebreakers go all the way down to fair play in that case. We had two yellows, Spain none.

With Norway struggling to score, it could be that Kvaratskhelia’s Georgia give them a wee shock on Tuesday. Either way, and it’s maybe wishful thinking, but if we can get some sort of result on Tuesday we could put ourselves in a very good position in the group before Haaland has even had a chance to kick a ball for Norway.

My initial thoughts were that we want Norway to lose to Georgia but I reckon Georgia will perhaps be pushing for that 2nd spot too.  They really are an improving side, so perhaps a draw might be the ideal result for us in that game. 🤔 I reckon Spain will be the only ones to win in Georgia.

Edited by todd

11 minutes ago, todd said:

My initial thoughts were that we want Norway to lose to Georgia but I reckon Georgia will perhaps be pushing for that 2nd spot too.  They really are an improving side, so perhaps a draw might be the ideal result for us in that game. 🤔 I reckon Spain will be the only ones to win in Georgia.

I'd personally pick Georgia to win this game 7 days a week. Got to trust ourselves to handle the 4th seed in the group surely and have them take points off our main competitor.

They will be a tricky side to play against but I don't see them as a threat to 2nd place.

14 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'd personally pick Georgia to win this game 7 days a week. Got to trust ourselves to handle the 4th seed in the group surely and have them take points off our main competitor.

They will be a tricky side to play against but I don't see them as a threat to 2nd place.

You expect them to beat Norway 7 days a week but don't see them as a threat for 2nd place?

Edited by todd

Norway dropping points against Georgia would be massive, combine that with us not losing v Spain and I would be over the moon. Match day 3 is us away to Norway, imagine coming back from Oslo with a draw, we could be on 5 points but Norway on 2. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Norway dropping points against Georgia would be massive, combine that with us not losing v Spain and I would be over the moon. Match day 3 is us away to Norway, imagine coming back from Oslo with a draw, we could be on 5 points but Norway on 2. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Norway did drop points against Georgia, especially after the result they had on Saturday. Georgia beat Mongolia 6-1 in a friendly; while that's basically irrelevant due to it being against Mongolia, they'll go into the game with a lot of confidence.

They've only lost once since October 2021 - a 3-0 defeat to Morocco just before the World Cup - but only a game against Sweden (which they won 2-0 at home) can be said to be against a side of Norway's level or higher. Morocco incidentally just beat a decently strong Brazil side, so their World Cup performance doesn't seem to be a complete flash in the pan.

I think two wins against Cyprus, a win against Georgia at home, draws in both games against Norway and away in Georgia would be the bare minimum required to finish second. Getting a win against Norway at home and away in Georgia would guarantee second, assuming Spain win all their games. Any point against Spain would be a massive bonus.

If Norway don't win tomorrow, there'll be huge pressure on them to beat us in June.