Scottish, or any Football Grounds... - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish, or any Football Grounds...

So another new thread, Football grounds. Discuss present grounds, likes, dislikes, what's the best view, best pies, travel, parking, anything related to Football grounds in Scotland, or wherever. I'll begin. Saw this pic this morning and never knew Easter Rd had this capacity back in the day... Interesting...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if the destruction of Shawfield has begun yet. Great memories of watching the ‘bully wee’ there with my mate who supported them and my other mate who played in goals for them.

There was a great view from the main stand and opposite side but the dog track made you feel like you were miles away if you were behind the goal.

Edited by slasher

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

Anyone know if the destruction of Shawfield has begun yet. Great memories of watching the ‘bully wee’ there with my mate who supported them and my other mate who played in goals for them.

There was a great view from the main stand and opposite side but the dog track made you feel like you were miles away if you were behind the goal.

It's still standing as it was when i went past it last week whilst out on a run.  I'm surprised Celtic never tried to buy it as a training area / reserve ground.  It's in a magic location and plenty of space around it to expand it if you could find a way to get the Shawfield Rd/Glasgow Rd and waste ground as part of a deal. 

Celtic apparantly looking at safe standing section in the Jock Stein stand. Think it was Leverkusen or Dorrmund  in the Bundesliga did it last season with great success. Only issue is season ticket holders, older folk may not agree with this concept, still early doors. Read this on a few sites.. Seems decent to me, I don't know why more clubs don't introduce this..

10 hours ago, Debian said:

It's still standing as it was when i went past it last week whilst out on a run.  I'm surprised Celtic never tried to buy it as a training area / reserve ground.  It's in a magic location and plenty of space around it to expand it if you could find a way to get the Shawfield Rd/Glasgow Rd and waste ground as part of a deal. 

I dunno if Celtic ever asked the question but it would have made perfect sense as you say. At the time Celtic would have been in the planning stage for a training ground, the greyhound racing was still very much on the go so maybe not an option.

Im not sure Billy King who owned it would have sold anyway. He was fiercely proud of Shawfield and his reputation as the king of Scottish greyhound racing. His nephew owned a few pubs and clubs in the town and I think still has the Corinthian although I might be out of date now.

Old+Photograph+Hampden+Park+Glasgow+Scot

Hampden in 1910.

The original South Stand was built as two separate grandstands with a pavilion in between that was added a few years after. You can see the South East stand and a bit of the pavilion above.

At the time Hampden was right at the edge of Glasgow, note the fields where King's Park and Castlemilk now are.

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Old+Photograph+Hampden+Park+Glasgow+Scot

Hampden in 1910.

The original South Stand was built as two separate grandstands with a pavilion in between that was added a few years after. You can see the South East stand and a bit of the pavilion above.

At the time Hampden was right at the edge of Glasgow, note the fields where King's Park and Castlemilk now are.

Is Mount Florida near there, stupid question  I know, but a lad I work with sais he lived close to Hampden Park and I think he said Mount Florida. Go easy on me, I'm Canadian.. 🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Wonder if anyone else has ever had a hat trick against engerland !! Interesting question..  Cheers for that Jim..💪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

There were quite a few in the early days.

Alex Jackson of the 1928 Wembley Wizards was the most recent...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scotland_national_football_team_hat-tricks

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

There were quite a few in the early days.

Alex Jackson of the 1928 Wembley Wizards was the most recent...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scotland_national_football_team_hat-tricks

Of course it had to mention we have conceded 7 hat tricks..🤣. Dennis Law, Legend !!

41 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Is Mount Florida near there, stupid question  I know, but a lad I work with sais he lived close to Hampden Park and I think he said Mount Florida. Go easy on me, I'm Canadian.. 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, that photo is taken from the Mount Florida end, presumably from one of the tenements that are still there today.

Just now, SamP said:

Tannadice and Easter Road were brilliant as an away supporter.  Got taken there by my cousin and uncle to see Motherwell.  Great atmospheres in those days.  Just a boy so a long time ago!!

Wullie Pettigrew and Joe Wark btw.  Nostalgia.  Right, off to work.