SNP leadership election - Page 96 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

Not when it's this bill

So your support for Holyrood is conditional on whether or not you agree with the legislation it passes or thinks it’s important.  Great, at least we known now.

Should we just stop any pretence here and just leave it up to Westminster.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I do feel that is legitimate, my worry though is that is not what the media are going to report or most people are going to hear. I suspect they're just going to hear SNP wastes money on unpopular bill during cost of living crisis.

I agree, but when we start kowtowing to the media the games a bogey for sure. 
Regardless of what someone feels personally about the bill , the hard fact is Westminster have totally undermined our parliament and in turn our democracy. Its up to every single person who cares anything at all about that to get that message out . It might not be something they agree with on this occasion but next time it might.
Its along the same underlying principles of the ‘First they came ‘ poem. 

Interesting editing of this story on Reporting Scotland compared to the BBC news.  Both opened their pieces with Alison Johnston announcing the result of the vote, BBC News then had the supporters of the bill cheering, Reporting Scotland on the other hand had some crafty editing with them cutting that part out but then having the GC activists booing and shouting in protest.

Pretty obvious how each editor wanted to frame the story. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

So your support for Holyrood is conditional on whether or not you agree with the legislation it passes or thinks it’s important.  Great, at least we known now.

The pretence is thinking that Holyrood is able to pass any legislation it likes under devolution

It has been made obvious Westminster can block anything they like and the only way to get around it is Independence

That is the red herring here

Also the mobile home SNP battle bus is the biggest load of crap since the finances & membership lies

I knew that before Wings investigated it

https://wingsoverscotland.com/when-youre-already-gone/

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

aside from my view on the GRR, it’s laughable that Humzah is taking this to court.  The public doesn’t want it!

the more time goes on the more you see what a bunch of incompetents that we are dealing with.  It’s like Derek Hatton and Ken Livingstone somehow got elected to run the UK.

id rather we shut down the parliament than deal with fools like the current snp and the greens.

We have no way of knowing what the public want, outwith a referendum.

What we do know is their representatives voted overwhelmingly cross-party for it. However...

None of this is the point though, the bill is irrelevant. It's the constitutional integrity of who get's to make the decisions that is the issue.

Arguing about the "popularity" of the bill misses the bigger picture completely imo. It's myopic thinking to be like I don't like this or it's not popular. The bigger issue is the integrity of decision making in Scotland. Now if you're an "unionist" ofc then that doens't bother you, in which case fire on.

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

Interesting editing of this story on Reporting Scotland compared to the BBC news.  Both opened their pieces with Alison Johnston announcing the result of the vote, BBC News then had the supporters of the bill cheering, Reporting Scotland on the other hand had some crafty editing with them cutting that part out but then having the GC activists booing and shouting in protest.

Pretty obvious how each editor wanted to frame the story. 

You actually personify everything that is wrong with the SNP and why we are going to get hammered at the next election, I see you are picking up the HQ orders,, take the attention away from the “alleged” corruption and run with a massively unpopular legislation, like that’s going work 

17 minutes ago, phart said:

We have no way of knowing what the public want, outwith a referendum.

What we do know is their representatives voted overwhelmingly cross-party for it. However...

None of this is the point though, the bill is irrelevant. It's the constitutional integrity of who get's to make the decisions that is the issue.

Arguing about the "popularity" of the bill misses the bigger picture completely imo. It's myopic thinking to be like I don't like this or it's not popular. The bigger issue is the integrity of decision making in Scotland. Now if you're an "unionist" ofc then that doens't bother you, in which case fire on.

We already know who gets to make the decisions - and it isn't Holyrood

But we will spend a few million on legal fees to find out again

Bute House: 'Ok...first...we ARE now going ahead with that legal challenge'

'Second...make up a name for a job I can give to a pal's wife....good salary mind'

'Get out there and tell the faithful it's business as usual'

'And get James Dornan to say something really dim'

Just now, Ally Bongo said:
Bute House: 'Ok...first...we ARE now going ahead with that legal challenge'

'Second...make up a name for a job I can give to a pal's wife....good salary mind'

'Get out there and tell the faithful it's business as usual'

'And get James Dornan to say something really dim'

Rab Dickson?

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You actually personify everything that is wrong with the SNP and why we are going to get hammered at the next election, I see you are picking up the HQ orders,, take the attention away from the “alleged” corruption and run with a massively unpopular legislation, like that’s going work 

HQ orders, ha, ha, ha.

29 minutes ago, Redz said:

You've completely ignored the point @phart is making

Is that convenient?

Apart from my interpretation I must have missed it

Enlighten me

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Apart from my interpretation I must have missed it

Enlighten me

Your interpretation is dismissive, and permitting WM to ride all over a devolved issue 

What is thought of the bill is irrelevant, which is how phart positioned it

I agree with him

Edited by Redz

I support the Scottish govt taking a stand on westminster blocking a bill supported by our Parliament.

I just wish it was over something that had more public support.

Can't say it gets my juices going one way or another.  The credibility of the party has gone.  It's infighting and looks weak.  Those parties don't win elections never mind nations.

20 minutes ago, Redz said:

Your interpretation is dismissive, and permitting WM to ride all over a devolved issue 

What is thought of the bill is irrelevant, which is how phart positioned it

I agree with him

Dismissive and resigned based on the realisation that we are technically a colony and Westminster's actions, in conjunction with their Supreme Court, confirming it. 

The bill is irrelevant because it means nothing to me personally

If Holyrood was taking Westminster to court over a referendum again i would be making the same point

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Dismissive and resigned based on the realisation that we are technically a colony and Westminster's actions, in conjunction with their Supreme Court, confirming it. 

The bill is irrelevant because it means nothing to me personally

If Holyrood was taking Westminster to court over a referendum again i would be making the same point

Fair enough

I'm not prepared to give up though 

8 minutes ago, Redz said:

Fair enough

I'm not prepared to give up though 

I havent and will never give up on Independence but i have given up on asking Westminster for anything