The Referree / Var thread.. - Page 31 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Referree / Var thread..

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Hoping to help his favourite team if they make the semi’s by getting Aberdeens captain suspended, can understand Shinnies reaction after Beaton ignored probably the most blatant foul of the game. He’s useless maybe even corrupt.

3 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Hoping to help his favourite team if they make the semi’s by getting Aberdeens captain suspended, can understand Shinnies reaction after Beaton ignored probably the most blatant foul of the game. He’s useless maybe even corrupt.

👍👍

14 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

As I've said many times. He openly supports rangers yet he is allowed to referree their games. What's more alarming is this is considered ok in Scotland.

In England this wouldn't happen. There's a lot I don't like about English football but one of the things I do like is refs have to declare who they support. 

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Yang gets a red card and 2 match suspension, but this is deemed ok !!!!! Aye, we are just paranoid.... What a joke the SFA is.......

1000003984.png

What does this have to do with the SFA?

9 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

As I've said many times. He openly supports rangers yet he is allowed to referree their games. What's more alarming is this is considered ok in Scotland.

In England this wouldn't happen. There's a lot I don't like about English football but one of the things I do like is refs have to declare who they support. 

Couldnt work in Scotland for many reasons.

Firstly the percentage of people interested in football that support the OF are too high. Presumably if you declared that you supported Rangers you also wouldnt be allowed to ref Celtic games.

Secondly, Refs like any of profession want to get to the top of the game and ref the biggest matches. In Scotland the biggest matches involve the OF and the vast vast majority of cup finals have 1 of the OF in them.

Lastly, if a ref declared that they supported another team then the football public would just decide that they are lying and actually support one of the OF.

The reason it works in England is that none of the above reasons exist.

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Couldnt work in Scotland for many reasons.

Firstly the percentage of people interested in football that support the OF are too high. Presumably if you declared that you supported Rangers you also wouldnt be allowed to ref Celtic games.

Secondly, Refs like any of profession want to get to the top of the game and ref the biggest matches. In Scotland the biggest matches involve the OF and the vast vast majority of cup finals have 1 of the OF in them.

Lastly, if a ref declared that they supported another team then the football public would just decide that they are lying and actually support one of the OF.

The reason it works in England is that none of the above reasons exist.

Ah well fuck it eh. The old firm are too big so why bother trying. 

Scottish football summed up perfectly there DS

4 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Definitely penalty. 
1st sending off was correct second yellow. 
2nd red debatable. 

Sevcopen is so standard procedure nowadays, accepting it'll happen before the game starts makes it easier to process when it eventually comes to pass.

Edited by Barney Rubble

10 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Sevcopen is so standard procedure nowadays, accepting it'll happen before the game starts makes it easier to process when it eventually comes to pass.

Aye ok Einstein. I’m only quoting Lennon. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

Edited by EddardStark

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

It was 100% a penalty. It’s not even close to being debatable. 

I haven't seen and won't bother watching it. I could hear the commentary from the other room, I usually like Michael Stewart but he must've said it wasn't a penalty 100 times. I'm surprised the Commentator didn't ask him to shut up

43 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Ah well fuck it eh. The old firm are too big so why bother trying. 

Scottish football summed up perfectly there DS

Im just being realistic and highlighting the key differences to England.

Rather than concentrate on who a ref has / had a loose support for I think we would be much better concentrating on improving decision making.

The main issue is that refs in Scotland continue to make very poor decisions and it never seems like anything is done about it. 

Going full time might help. Maybe even attract some refs from elsewhere with a decent wage. Full time would also mean they need to improve the standard or they are out of a job. At the moment being a ref ia a paid hobby.

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Yang gets a red card and 2 match suspension, but this is deemed ok !!!!! Aye, we are just paranoid.... What a joke the SFA is.......

1000003984.png

Studs in face at head height 

Vs

Laces up at midriff height at best

Not even remotely close, but you know that, class clown 

1 minute ago, LoganRoy said:

Studs in face at head height 

Vs

Laces up at midriff height at best

Not even remotely close, but you know that, class clown 

Zzzzzzzzzzz. You are a funny wee troll... Back in your cage and geez peace....

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

It was 100% a penalty. It’s not even close to being debatable. 

Fairbairn, I respect you as one of the most balanced posters on this site. However, what would your view of that incident had been if that got given against your own team, or against your son in an amateur game?

That's the metric I use when I judge these things. Frankly, I preferred it in the 70s when I was growing up playing the game. You had to assassinate somebody in the box before a ref would give a penalty in those days.

That award today was pathetic, but it is indicative of how refereeing standards have been straitjacketed by inflexible rules and procedures that leave no room for interpretation.

See last week's series of nonsense decisions at Tynecastle for further evidence.

The hibs straight red wasn't harsh in today's game. Pre 2000 that's not a booking but today it's a red all long

The first red/2nd yellow is barely a foul let alone a yellow. 

Rangers players conduct during both incidents and the conduct of their fans in the stands shows exactly what kind of club they are. I have absolutely no idea why any of the decent rangers fans on here or anywhere can support that club.

It wasn't that long ago rangers were all behind their player because he was racially abused but when it comes to catholics its OK theyre fair game for abuse. The doubles standards from their fans and the clubs will be be ignored by the media too.

8 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fairbairn, I respect you as one of the most balanced posters on this site. However, what would your view of that incident had been if that got given against your own team, or against your son in an amateur game?

That's the metric I use when I judge these things. Frankly, I preferred it in the 70s when I was growing up playing the game. You had to assassinate somebody in the box before a ref would give a penalty in those days.

That award today was pathetic, but it is indicative of how refereeing standards have been straitjacketed by inflexible rules and procedures that leave no room for interpretation.

See last week's series of nonsense decisions at Tynecastle for further evidence.

The only contentious issue last weekend was the penalty against Cochrane.