Indyref 2 (2) - Page 32 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

What's happening on this thread? Should be about Scottish Independence and we're bitching about photos? 😜

Look it’s obvious, people won’t vote for independence if SNP MPs sit indoors with their hoods up.  

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I assumed the picture was a meme but she actually posted that? Deary me, politicians and social media is rarely a good thing. In terms of the content of her tweet, she’s not said anything embarrassing. 

Was kinda hoping that Flynn would reign in some of the roasters who post on social media, the riot act should be read 

It's a little out of touch to suggest that she struggles to or can't afford to have her heating on when we know she has the money. There are genuinely people out there in Scotland who are going to die in their homes a consequence of not being able to afford to put the heating on this winter so I think it is in poor taste. 

The cost of living crisis is a serious problem with real world consequences and perhaps if the SNP were doing more to address that then her photo wouldn't be a problem

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

In fairness it was (another) epic fail from Blackman

I mean, what the actual fuck was she thinking when tweeting that photograph ?

It's almost if she thought to herself "How can i damage the SNP"

I agree, I thought it was tone-deaf and patronising. She earns £80k a year (not including expenses), it's highly unlikely she'll struggle to afford to put her heating on.

A lot of people - including some of those who can't afford to heat their homes adequately - don't have the option of working from home in their onesie (or whatever that thing she was wearing is). I'm sure it wasn't her intention but far from empathetic, it came across as smug, IMO.

23 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

It's a little out of touch to suggest that she struggles to or can't afford to have her heating on when we know she has the money. There are genuinely people out there in Scotland who are going to die in their homes a consequence of not being able to afford to put the heating on this winter so I think it is in poor taste. 

The cost of living crisis is a serious problem with real world consequences and perhaps if the SNP were doing more to address that then her photo wouldn't be a problem

Where is she supposed to be suggesting that she can’t afford to put the hearing on?

I’m open to suggestions as to what more the SNP could be doing as well - more mitigation of disastrous Tory policies?  Fair enough but where’s the money going to come from, what would you cut to fund it?

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I agree, I thought it was tone-deaf and patronising. She earns £80k a year (not including expenses), it's highly unlikely she'll struggle to afford to put her heating on.

A lot of people - including some of those who can't afford to heat their homes adequately - don't have the option of working from home in their onesie (or whatever that thing she was wearing is). I'm sure it wasn't her intention but far from empathetic, it came across as smug, IMO.

Where’s she suggesting she can’t put the heating on?

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

Where is she supposed to be suggesting that she can’t afford to put the hearing on?

I’m open to suggestions as to what more the SNP could be doing as well - more mitigation of disastrous Tory policies?  Fair enough but where’s the money going to come from, what would you cut to fund it?

You know you don't need to operate as the SNP PR defence attorney? Just look at most of the responses in this thread, or on twitter, it's not good.

The implication of her tweet is that she is in the same boat as everyone else which is clearly untrue. Financially I'm doing alright and I would never want to suggest that I was suffering in the same way that a lot of people in this country currently are. As I said, vulnerable people are going to die because they cannot afford to heat their homes and the solution to that is not to throw on a onesie, take a selfie and post it on twitter for "woe is me" points.

If the SNP aren't vigorously campaigning for independence then you are damn right it is their job to mitigate the disasters of the Tory government. People will freeze to death in their homes and it is their job to stop that happening by taking action. What are they doing to help people since they clearly don't have any serious plans to get independence?

7 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

You know you don't need to operate as the SNP PR defence attorney? Just look at most of the responses in this thread, or on twitter, it's not good.

The implication of her tweet is that she is in the same boat as everyone else which is clearly untrue. Financially I'm doing alright and I would never want to suggest that I was suffering in the same way that a lot of people in this country currently are. As I said, vulnerable people are going to die because they cannot afford to heat their homes and the solution to that is not to throw on a onesie, take a selfie and post it on twitter for "woe is me" points.

If the SNP aren't vigorously campaigning for independence then you are damn right it is their job to mitigate the disasters of the Tory government. People will freeze to death in their homes and it is their job to stop that happening by taking action. What are they doing to help people since they clearly don't have any serious plans to get independence?

Good post. I think aaid can come out with useful analysis and good contributions, but this ultra defence of every SNP criticism is weird. Blackman clearly misjudged this, as demonstrated by the number of people calling her out - and not just die-hard Alba supporters or mad unionists. This blind support of the occasionally abusive and misguided social media-obsessed wing of the SNP doesn't help anyone.

18 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

All that waffle and you don’t answer the question.  Where would the money come from?

7 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Good post. I think aaid can come out with useful analysis and good contributions, but this ultra defence of every SNP criticism is weird. Blackman clearly misjudged this, as demonstrated by the number of people calling her out - and not just die-hard Alba supporters or mad unionists. This blind support of the occasionally abusive and misguided social media-obsessed wing of the SNP doesn't help anyone.

The “blind support” come on, I’m highlighting people who are flat out lying here.  

Just now, Freeedom said:

How many people need to die unnecessarily this winter because the SNP can't allocate their budget priorities correctly?

The budget has been cut in real terms because of inflation, the SG cannot borrow, it can’t increase taxes in year, so where is the money coming from NOW to provide support.  What would YOU be prepared to cut?

1 minute ago, aaid said:

The budget has been cut in real terms because of inflation, the SG cannot borrow, it can’t increase taxes in year, so where is the money coming from NOW to provide support.  What would YOU be prepared to cut?

Right, so since the SNP have failed at getting us out of this union they have to make policy decisions that are constrained by still being a member of the UK. 

I didn't realise that the onus had shifted from the Scottish government to me personally to make budgetary decisions about how to stop people from freezing to death in their own homes but I can tell you I would be doing a lot more to stop that from happening. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Where’s she suggesting she can’t put the heating on?

Seriously?? 😂

Okay, well, she starts her tweet with "wrap up warm folks", then posts a picture of herself indoors, wrapped-up, with a "brrr, I'm cold" expression on her face.  The suggestion is clear: that she is sat indoors freezing, which she almost certainly isn't (and if she is, she's an even bigger idiot than I thought, because she could just put the heating on - which she can easily afford to).

I'm sorry to hear she has Covid though.

2 hours ago, Freeedom said:

Right, so since the SNP have failed at getting us out of this union they have to make policy decisions that are constrained by still being a member of the UK. 

I didn't realise that the onus had shifted from the Scottish government to me personally to make budgetary decisions about how to stop people from freezing to death in their own homes but I can tell you I would be doing a lot more to stop that from happening. 

So you’ve no answers other than stick your fingers in your ears and play fantasy politics and trotting out Unionisg arguments. 

49 minutes ago, aaid said:

So you’ve no answers other than stick your fingers in your ears and play fantasy politics and trotting out Unionisg arguments. 

News flash! Dealing with the cost of living crisis and stopping people freezing to death is unionist politics.

I understand the party have become a lot more moderate and middle class in recent years but letting people freeze to death seems a little bit Tory to me.

11 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

News flash! Dealing with the cost of living crisis and stopping people freezing to death is unionist politics.

I understand the party have become a lot more moderate and middle class in recent years but letting people freeze to death seems a little bit Tory to me.

a nice coal fire and some exploration and extraction of oil and gas that we have an abundance of would be good start.  Coupled with a programme of building nuclear power stations so that one day we can shift our usage away from natural gas and run electric boilers as the cost per kWh will be driven down to someth8ng approaching affordable.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

a nice coal fire and some exploration and extraction of oil and gas that we have an abundance of would be good start.  Coupled with a programme of building nuclear power stations so that one day we can shift our usage away from natural gas and run electric boilers as the cost per kWh will be driven down to someth8ng approaching affordable.

You need to try harder if you want to troll me. I don't bite as easily as some others.

38 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Nope, demanding that the Scottish Government “do more” but never giving any hint to where that money might come from to fund it is essentially what FMQs is every week, especially if you add in a bit of emotional blackmail about people dying as well.  

Edited by aaid

The Nicola Sturgeon trade Union, negotiating strategy. 

She's laughing at each and every one of us. While kirsty blackman mocks the poor. 

Stand firm against the Scottish government self preservation society. Solidarity with the workers. 

img_1_1670592196207.jpg

Edited by Tartan_Tonna