Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Tell you what lets keep this thread going until our next manager in is a Craig Levein-type and we go back to failing to qualify for major tournaments. There is no Ferguson, Water Smith or Jock Stein out there willing to take this job and certainly no foreign managers we can afford who want it and can do it.

Levin was shite, everyone agrees on that, Clarke has a different squad of players, and has managed to qualify for two 24 team Euros, not a 16 team Euros. It is entirely possible to criticise Clarke on his merits, without having to compare him to previous incumbents.

When he does go, we won't collapse. He isn't a magician, he isn't a one man show.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The issue is though that as soon as you offer any sort of constructive criticism of Clarke then you get called things like a troll etc by posters like yourself... 

That's absolute nonsense. I haven't called anyone else a troll except you

Oh and, hiya chripper... how many accounts have you had now?

Simply cannot believe Steve Clarke didn’t make wholesale changes and throw caps out like Berti Vogts for the last camp before he picks his squad for the Euros. The Euros in which the current squad lost one - ONE - game in qualifying.

The SFA must act now. 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:38 AM, Scotty2Hotty said:

Fair points but Steve Clarke has made some errors IMO when picking the team that have already been spoken about in this thread but of course not everyone will agree

I’d rather he made mistakes in meaningless (result wise anyway) friendlies than qualifiers and Nations League games where he has done exceptionally well overall.

Clarke will ultimately be judged on his qualifying record and what we actually do at tournaments when we get there and not on bounce games against Netherlands and NI. He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory at the last tournament but he has a chance to put that right in June. 

As long as he learned something in the last couple of games then those games should have some sort of benefit ahead of the Euros. If we beat Gibraltar (surely) and Finland (or at least put in a good performance) we can forget all about the March friendlies and go to Germany with the confidence we should have after our qualifying campaign. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Levin was shite, everyone agrees on that, Clarke has a different squad of players, and has managed to qualify for two 24 team Euros, not a 16 team Euros. It is entirely possible to criticise Clarke on his merits, without having to compare him to previous incumbents.

When he does go, we won't collapse. He isn't a magician, he isn't a one man show.

Levein had much worse players at his disposal. Our team was rubbish under Steve Clarke until the 2nd half of WC qualifying. Not saying he's done badly but I agree that he's no genius.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

That's absolute nonsense. I haven't called anyone else a troll except you

Oh and, hiya chripper... how many accounts have you had now?

Well done for contradicting yourself in the same post!

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’d rather he made mistakes in meaningless (result wise anyway) friendlies than qualifiers and Nations League games where he has done exceptionally well overall.

Clarke will ultimately be judged on his qualifying record and what we actually do at tournaments when we get there and not on bounce games against Netherlands and NI. He didn’t exactly cover himself in glory at the last tournament but he has a chance to put that right in June. 

As long as he learned something in the last couple of games then those games should have some sort of benefit ahead of the Euros. If we beat Gibraltar (surely) and Finland (or at least put in a good performance) we can forget all about the March friendlies and go to Germany with the confidence we should have after our qualifying campaign. 

The Finland game's a weird one, it's hard to imagine any of the players busting a gut and risking injury ahead of, what could be, their only chance of playing at a major tournament 🤔 

Just now, todd said:

The Finland game's a weird one, it's hard to imagine any of the players busting a gut and risking injury ahead of, what could be, their only chance of playing at a major tournament 🤔 

We had to play someone but aye tournament warm up games are always a bit flat.

I’m just glad we are not warming up another team to go to a tournament which has pretty much been the case for the last 26 years. 

9 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Well done for contradicting yourself in the same post!

Thanks

I give it a month before you get banned again.

2 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Not disagreeing with you but give us a few names. 

Before I answer, one caveat i will add is that many national teams don't recruit the very best managers as it's usually too mundane compared to managing a club team and not as lucrative. England have one of the best teams in the world and they have Southgate as manager as one example.

If we are talking about realstic options then below is the names I would expect us to be typically linked with that would be interested in interviewing IMO:

• David Moyes
  • John Eustace
  • Tony Mowbray
  • Alex Neil
  • Derek McInnes
  • Roberto Martinez (only if he fails really badly with Portugal then maybe a small possibility) 
  • Billy Reid

I don't have a fucking clue who else as there is as there are a million coaches out there and I CBA looking at all leagues right now

1 hour ago, PSJ84 said:

Simply cannot believe Steve Clarke didn’t make wholesale changes and throw caps out like Berti Vogts for the last camp before he picks his squad for the Euros. The Euros in which the current squad lost one - ONE - game in qualifying.

The SFA must act now. 

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Thanks again TDK. 

Zzzz... what is TDK now?

1 hour ago, PSJ84 said:

The SFA must act now. 

Another one that doesnae get it..

24 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We had to play someone but aye tournament warm up games are always a bit flat.

I’m just glad we are not warming up another team to go to a tournament which has pretty much been the case for the last 26 years. 

Great point, never thought of it that way 👍

40 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He has made mistakes in competetive games also (like every other manager in the world), the previous euro's, Ukraine, etc. It's not just based on the friendly matches. 

Those particular games I wasn't too fussed about as he was in the process of building the team still and figuring things out. 

He's built the team well over the last nations league/Euro QF campaign but there is still some question marks over some decisions IMO, like not blooding in certain players and continually sticking with the same 11, playing without wingers or having any in the squad etc. Doesn't mean I want him sacked or anything though.

16 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Before I answer, one caveat i will add is that many national teams don't recruit the very best managers as it's usually too mundane compared to managing a club team and not as lucrative. England have one of the best teams in the world and they have Southgate as manager as one example.

If we are talking about realstic options then below is the names I would expect us to be typically linked with that would be interested in interviewing IMO:

• David Moyes
  • John Eustace
  • Tony Mowbray
  • Alex Neil
  • Derek McInnes
  • Roberto Martinez (only if he fails really badly with Portugal then maybe a small possibility) 
  • Billy Reid

I don't have a fucking clue who else as there is as there are a million coaches out there and I CBA looking at all leagues right now

What an absolutely inspiring line up 😟

5 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

He has made mistakes in competetive games also (like every other manager in the world), the previous euro's, Ukraine, etc. It's not just based on the friendly matches. 

Those particular games I wasn't too fussed about as he was in the process of building the team still and figuring things out. 

He's built the team well over the last nations league/Euro QF campaign but there is still some question marks over some decisions IMO, like not blooding in certain players and continually sticking with the same 11, playing without wingers or having any in the squad etc. Doesn't mean I want him sacked or anything though.

Yeah but this thread seems to have been resurrected because of the last 2 games. 

The players and formation used by Clarke on Tuesday should have been more than enough to beat NI but we lost and ultimately it doesn’t matter. 

If Clarke had been desperate to get a result against the Netherlands he wouldn’t have made the changes he did in that game. 

Some people (I’m not suggesting you are one of them) seem to think that we need to win friendlies at all costs and if we don’t we are in some sort of crisis. 

Clarke has made and will make more mistakes. If he was a perfect manager (there’s no such thing) he would likely be managing Real Madrid or Bayern Munich and not Scotland but the fact is he has got us to the euros without even needing the playoffs and we are in League A of the Nations League. Anyone who would want him sacked now because of some poor friendly results would need their head examined. 

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

I put far more stock in what we do in competitve matches. Those are what get us to major tournaments and Clarke's record on that front is very good. This thread has resurfaced after friendly matches results which will count for nothing. Northern Ireland beat us the other night but much rather be heading to the Euros.

Like I pointed out before we are a very good team providing a lot goes for us such as have a fully fit squad  for each game, our key players are fit and in form and our best players put in performances close to their best. Plenty of those provisios have not happened in.the last few months hence we have struggled.

Edited by Caledonian Craig