Denmark v Scotland - match thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Denmark v Scotland - match thread

vanderark14

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

He's improving but not sure he's a significant step up from our other strikers. 

Let’s see how he does for the rest of this season, but when he’s fit he’s QPR’s 1st choice striker ahead of Charlie Austin, and he’ll be ahead of Andre Gray as well. 
One of the problems Scotland have is creating good chances, we need more and better service from the right. Dykes is predominately right footed, he ideally wants balls coming in from the right, nearly everything we do goes down the left.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're a quality side but fck me that first half was "watch from behind the couch" stuff.  10 minutes in and anyone could see it wasn't working with Robbo on the right.

Their 2nd goal - great ball in?  GTF - there were 8 players back not including the fkin goalie!  It was fkin CRIMINAL!

At HT I would've bitten your hand off for 2-0.  Improved in the 2nd half, but let's be honest  -stringing 2 passes together would've been a fkin improvement.  Made a couple of decent chances, but it's a pity McGregor and Fraser decided to play passbacks when the goalie should've been in the net along with the ball.

We are LIGHT YEARS away from Denmark's level.  Every time they got the ball they had about 3 options running into space.  Why the blazes can't we do that?

We desperately need a striker, but I don't see where one's coming from.  Maybe Nisbet deserves a run in the team to see what he can do?  Could he be any worse than what was up front tonight?

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Mcgregor and McLean were not good enough.   Midfield four of jack, gilmour, Mctominay and Mcginn please

I’d rather see Tierney or Lewis Ferguson in midfield instead of Jack

11 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

On form Dykes is our best striker. He’s scored 10 goals and 4 assists in his last 14 games for QPR who are sitting 3rd in the Championship, he’s getting better as a striker, but QPR don’t play hoof ball 

Denmark are a bit above championship standard, problem is we haven't had a striker above that standard in decades.

We don’t have a lot of striking options but I think creating good chances is the bigger problem. We had 0 chances in the first half. You could have Van Basten up front and it wouldn’t have made a difference. 

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Getting to the playoffs shouldn't be fantasy but we blew that in the nations league. Even then we should be able to compete and achieve playoff spots via the normal route. Tonight we did nothing.

If we can't qualify for 24 team Euro's I'm giving up.

Yeh getting to the play offs is tough but achievable, winning a play off is pretty unlikely,especially if its against a top team. I ain't saying we can't get to the world cup but truth is we are very unlikely to make it to one unless they up the competition size. 

Tonight has been a reality check for some on here but for me it's near to what I expected. My expectations are we qualify for the euros and we put a good showing in the world cup qualifiers and make the play offs every so often. Low expectations but realistic. 

If you get the defence and midfield functioning the goals will come, even if we don’t have a “world class” centre forward. That’s my belief, if you create enough, good chances, some of them will be put away. 

13 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Let’s see how he does for the rest of this season, but when he’s fit he’s QPR’s 1st choice striker ahead of Charlie Austin, and he’ll be ahead of Andre Gray as well. 
One of the problems Scotland have is creating good chances, we need more and better service from the right. Dykes is predominately right footed, he ideally wants balls coming in from the right, nearly everything we do goes down the left.

Either way he's still a championship striker and expecting him to bang goals in at international level is unlikely. He's done reasonably well for us so far but I don't think he's going to be game changer in terms of getting us a worpd cup play off. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Either way he's still a championship striker and expecting him to bang goals in at international level is unlikely. He's done reasonably well for us so far but I don't think he's going to be game changer in terms of getting us a worpd cup play off. 

David Healy was a championship striker and banged in about 30 goals for a terrible Northern Ireland team.

Its all about chance creation and a manager getting the best out of his players - something our manager doesn’t do as his tactics are way off every game. 

I can handle not making major tournaments - until this year, spent the second half of my life not qualifying for any them. But I'd rather see us fail to qualify by being attacking team than a defensive team. Psychologically, we're weak and negative.

Would rather pick a consistent, attacking template and trying to find players to make it work than being crippled constantly with fear of failure. We'll still lose some games, maybe one or two games pretty badly, but learning to be a confident, attacking team is a better foundation for success IMO.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

David Healy was a championship striker and banged in about 30 goals for a terrible Northern Ireland team.

Its all about chance creation and a manager getting the best out of his players - something our manager doesn’t do as his tactics are way off every game. 

I agree with this. 

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Jack is better than Ferguson and to my knowledge tierney has never played centre mid in his life?

I believe Lewis Ferguson will become a better player than Jack in the next season or two. And I think Tierney could play midfield, he has the game intelligence and the fundamentals to do so, I think.

2 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

I can handle not making major tournaments - until this year, spent the second half of my life not qualifying for any them. But I'd rather see us fail to qualify by being attacking team than a defensive team. Psychologically, we're weak and negative.

Would rather pick a consistent, attacking template and trying to find players to make it work than being crippled constantly with fear of failure. We'll still lose some games, maybe one or two games pretty badly, but learning to be a confident, attacking team is a better foundation for success IMO.

I’d go for a similar approach. Get the youngsters in playing. Patterson, Ralston, Lewis Ferguson, Turnbull, Gilmour etc. Get them bedded in nicely for the Euro qualifiers playing an attacking 442 or 433

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Or into Schmeichels hands

Our set pieces are generally shite. Cannot fathom out why Clarke cannot see that Gauld can bring something to this team. The amount of assists from free kicks and corners in recent times alone should get him in the squad. 

11 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

There are exceptions like David healy but I would be willing to bet that at least 90 percent of the current strikers who score goals at international level don't spend their career at championship level or a similar level. 

8 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I believe Lewis Ferguson will become a better player than Jack in the next season or two. And I think Tierney could play midfield, he has the game intelligence and the fundamentals to do so, I think.

Lewis Ferguson could become a better player but isn’t currently otherwise he would be at a club like Bayern Munich, not Aberdeen, a team pumped out of Europe by a club from Azerbaijan.  

tierney week in week out doesn’t play that position.  I still think that we pick one of him or Robertson.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Lewis Ferguson could become a better player but isn’t currently otherwise he would be at a club like Bayern Munich, not Aberdeen, a team pumped out of Europe by a club from Azerbaijan.  

tierney week in week out doesn’t play that position.  I still think that we pick one of him or Robertson.

Ferguson is only 22 y/o. He does need to move next season though, to a top Chsnpionship, bottom Premier league team though. 
It may come down to choosing either Robertson or Tierney at left back. You could play 442 and try playing Tierney in front of Robertson.

Really frustrated with how passive we were first half.

When people watch their national team they want to be inspired, and whilst an element of pragmatism is always required it was impossible to be inspired by our soft, passive and courage-less first half display.

The players have so much more to give and it’s beyond frustrating seeing them play as if they’re tied to each other with rope.

Need to win Saturday and Tuesday to keep us in it now but much more concerned that we play with so little freedom.

Not looking forward to going to the game on Saturday at all, we’re given nothing to look forward to with the way this side plays and won’t capture the imagination at all.

Our team was insipid and tentative.  Just don’t have enough belief as they realise that they are not great.  We need swagger….  A bremner, souness or dare via say it, Scott brown type in the middle of the park.   Mcgregor reminds me of a poor mans jim bett,  all very tidy but doesn’t hurt a team.  

19 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Our set pieces are generally shite. Cannot fathom out why Clarke cannot see that Gauld can bring something to this team. The amount of assists from free kicks and corners in recent times alone should get him in the squad. 

You need to be good at attacking the ball as well. We’re not.