Captains from same club teams - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Captains from same club teams

Burj_Alba

4 minutes ago, fringo said:

It's bound to have happened a few times but a good trivia question . Would be interesting to hear who they are though.

Thinking something like Croatia V Portugal with Ronaldo V Modric but did they ever play against each other? Must have happened.  

3 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Just see Robertson and Wijnaldum captaining their national teams and both Liverpool players, Cant remember this ever happening before. Please enlighten me.

We could potentially see this happen again at the Euros.

If Kane doesnt play for England, Henderson will be captain and that will mean both us and England will be captained by Liverpool players

Id imagine it happens all the time. Captains for big countries tend to play for big clubs.

Just thinking out loud. Barca had Messi & Suarez amd Puyol.

Real had Ramos, Ronaldo, Modric. Before that Zidane, Beckham etc

Even Liverpool right now have the Dutch, Scottish, Eygption captains and vice captains of England and Senegol.

11 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

This must have happened many times in Scotland- England games in 70's and 80's

Over to you @Toepoke

I actually checked it last night 😁

Couldn't find a match, Bobby Moore at West Ham and Bryan Robson at Man Utd were England's captains for years, in between it shuffled about a bit. Dalglish and Keegan were both skippers in one game but obviously weren't at Liverpool at the same time.

It might have happened in a Scotland v Wales game with Bremner and Yorath at Leeds, but I can't find in the records who the Welsh captains were.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

I actually checked it last night 😁

Couldn't find a match, Bobby Moore at West Ham and Bryan Robson at Man Utd were England's captains for years, in between it shuffled about a bit. Dalglish and Keegan were both skippers in one game but obviously weren't at Liverpool at the same time.

It might have happened in a Scotland v Wales game with Bremner and Yorath at Leeds, but I can't find in the records who the Welsh captains were.

It actually happened in 2014.  Rooney was captain of England and Broonie was ours.  However, Darren Fletcher came on for Broonie and took the armband.  A couple of years later Rooney and Fletcher led the teams out at Wembley but Fletch was at WBA by then.

The only other time it nearly happened was 1999 with Hendry and Shearer, but Shearer had gone to Newcastle.

Cracking trivia question.  Another good one is where Scotland's captain and his club's captain were playing in the same game, sometimes on the same side, sometimes in opposition.

56 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

This must have happened many times in Scotland- England games in 70's and 80's

Over to you @Toepoke

That's what I thought when I wrote the original post, maybe Jack Charlton / Bremner or Souness/ Phil Thompson but they were never captains in the same match. will probably find out that something like Mane / salah captained Egypt and Senegal in a match.

51 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Did a wee bit of digging on this one and Wales were captained by Roberts and Hennessy in the games where Bremner was our captain.

There was a Leeds v Tottenham game in the early 1970's, when all 5 captains of the UK international teams played, before captaining their countries the following midweek - great trivia question.

Scotland              Bremner

England               Mullery

Wales                   England (Mike)

N Ireland             Jennings

Eire                       Giles

3 hours ago, saintsparky said:

There was a Leeds v Tottenham game in the early 1970's, when all 5 captains of the UK international teams played, before captaining their countries the following midweek - great trivia question.

Scotland              Bremner

England               Mullery

Wales                   England (Mike)

N Ireland             Jennings

Eire                       Giles

You might need to reword it for the pedants amongst us. I include myself in that. :lol:

Eire wasn't part of the UK in the 70s. ;)