Potential Future Players - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Potential Future Players

Guest Scot1

Elliot Anderson 18yrs has been promoted up to Newcastle’s 1st Team Squad 

Has represented Scotland at different age levels however England are now having a sniff and considering him!

Here’s hoping he flourishes at Newcastle and sticks with Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Cieran Slicker

18 years old - Manchester city 

Goalkeeper

(Might be worth having him in the Euro 2020 squad, if he's decent. The chances of a third choice keeper playing is extremely remote.. unless David Marshall gets giantism and Craig Gordon gets hypnotised into thinking he's a chicken*)

*The Simpsons reference. 

A total rookie for the Euros? Don't be daft. Though it is disappointing that McCrorie and Kelly have stalled seemingly.

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

In a few years we look like having a surfeit of centre backs and it could be like the situation with left backs now. We will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

You think we will have a surplus of centre backs?

What are you basing that on?

We have very few centre backs breaking through atm. Porteous and Mcintyre are about it. 

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, I'm keen to know who all these other centre- backs breaking through are too. Off the top of my head I can think of George Johnston, who sometimes gets a game for Feynoord, but other than that...

Sometimes is being kind. Guy is 22 and hardly played professional football. 

Porteous looks quite good but he's a long way off moving up to epl level. Not seen much of Mcintyre so won't comment on him. 

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, I'm keen to know who all these other centre- backs breaking through are too. Off the top of my head I can think of George Johnston, who sometimes gets a game for Feynoord, but other than that...

On the horizon there’s King and Morrison. Jamie Hamilton and Lewis Neilson both look very promising and have already made the breakthrough. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

On the horizon there’s King and Morrison. Jamie Hamilton and Lewis Neilson both look very promising and have already made the breakthrough. 

Morrison hasn't played professional football. King has played 20mins. Jamie Hamilton is playing for a struggling Hamilton and Neilson has made only a handful of appearances for Dundee United. 

Thats hardly a promising bunch. Basically a bunch of kids who have barely played professional football. 

If we end up with 1 of those mentioned playing in a top league then I will be genuinely shocked. 

40 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Morrison hasn't played professional football. King has played 20mins. Jamie Hamilton is playing for a struggling Hamilton and Neilson has made only a handful of appearances for Dundee United. 

Thats hardly a promising bunch. Basically a bunch of kids who have barely played professional football. 

If we end up with 1 of those mentioned playing in a top league then I will be genuinely shocked. 

You shock me. What’s more likely to happen of course is that our future centre halves will literally appear out of thin air, possibly by means of a portal linked to a different galaxy, already in full command of international level footballing faculties. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You think we will have a surplus of centre backs?

What are you basing that on?

We have very few centre backs breaking through atm. Porteous and Mcintyre are about it. 

King. Morrison. Both described as huge potential. Johnston. Hendry still young. Welsh at Celtic. Also they tend to mature much later. Even Hanley is only 29, young for a CB. All those mentioned in this list are youngish.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

King. Morrison. Both described as huge potential. Johnston. Hendry still young. Welsh at Celtic. Also they tend to mature much later. Even Hanley is only 29, young for a CB. All those mentioned in this list are youngish.

Sorry but your living in fantasy land if you think several of our young centre backs will make it at top European clubs. King, johnston and Welsh have barely played pro football. Morrison hasn't played any. Being labelled as having big potential means nothing until they get first team experience and we get to see if they are actually any good. Also Hanley isn't young. He's 29 and has shown that he isn't a epl level centre back. He's not going to suddenly turn into one at his age.

Fair enough hendry is playing at a decent level and is still young enough to make a step up a level or two. 

Sorry but there's no chance we will have a situation at centre back like we have at left back just now. We would need to have 6 or 7 centre backs playing in the epl or another top league and that's just not happening. 

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

A total rookie for the Euros? Don't be daft. Though it is disappointing that McCrorie and Kelly have stalled seemingly.

I know. I know.

I have watched him about half a dozen times for the Man City u23s and he does look good. It's hard to tell at that level, as James Wilson looked like he was going to be a world beater... but here's hoping. We don't have many, or any, keepers coming through.

Everyone is missing the point about us playing with three center backs.

We don't have to produce the next Nesta or Baresi or Stam (though, that would be nice). Just look how Gallagher and McTominay and Tierney look in a three. They're solid. One is a defender who not even Motherwell fans thought would play for Scotland, let alone be one of the players who receives so much praise, one is a dynamic box to box midfielder and one is a full back.

King, Morrison, Porteous, etc, don't have to be world beaters, they just have to be decent. That's the whole point of us playing three at the back.

Hendry and Porteous and even Bates could walk into our back three tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

No mention of Ryan Gauld or Billy Gilmour yet?

I was starting at the back and working my way forward, it got a little haphazard as I started listing players by club so I wouldn’t forget about them.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

We don't have to produce the next Nesta or Baresi or Stam (though, that would be nice). Just look how Gallagher and McTominay and Tierney look in a three. They're solid. One is a defender who not even Motherwell fans thought would play for Scotland, let alone be one of the players who receives so much praise, one is a dynamic box to box midfielder and one is a full back.

King, Morrison, Porteous, etc, don't have to be world beaters, they just have to be decent. That's the whole point of us playing three at the back

Spot on, although unfair to say everyone doesn't get it.

I think the central role in particular requires less ability than playing in a traditional four does 

Kevin Nisbet

23 y/o Centre-Forward(right-footed)

9 goals , 4 assists 

Hibernian

In my opinion he’s struggling at an underperforming squad at a club full of smugglers and dock-workers. 
For his own personal development and his international career I feel he’d be better suited at a team that has a recent history of producing Scottish International Forwards, and I think we’d all agree Livingston FC would be the place for him to progress and enhance his talents. 
I do worry that if he stays at Easter Road much longer his life will come to resemble an Irvine Welsh short story, as has previously been the case with any slightly talented forwards they have been lucky enough to stumble across.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Spot on, although unfair to say everyone doesn't get it.

I think the central role in particular requires less ability than playing in a traditional four does 

Agreed. I take that back. Since Clarke has got the 3-5-2 working, more people understand what it brings to us.

It's a case of "strength in numbers". 

Definitely. 

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

King, Morrison, Porteous, etc, don't have to be world beaters, they just have to be decent. That's the whole point of us playing three at the back.

Hendry and Porteous and even Bates could walk into our back three tomorrow and we wouldn't miss a beat.

I agree but I do feel in the future to get the best out of our squad it would be beneficial if we could play a back 4

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Also Hanley isn't young. He's 29 and has shown that he isn't a epl level centre back. He's not going to suddenly turn into one at his age.

Think that's a bit unfair. Hanley once he returned from injury last season wasn't the worst defender playing in the EPL. 

He is now playing a major part in a defence that has got Norwich to the top of the championship. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry but your living in fantasy land if you think several of our young centre backs will make it at top European clubs. King, johnston and Welsh have barely played pro football. Morrison hasn't played any. Being labelled as having big potential means nothing until they get first team experience and we get to see if they are actually any good. Also Hanley isn't young. He's 29 and has shown that he isn't a epl level centre back. He's not going to suddenly turn into one at his age.

Fair enough hendry is playing at a decent level and is still young enough to make a step up a level or two. 

Sorry but there's no chance we will have a situation at centre back like we have at left back just now. We would need to have 6 or 7 centre backs playing in the epl or another top league and that's just not happening. 

Left backs: Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Bryan, Kingsley, Taylor, Doig.

CB's:                               McTom, Gallagher, Hanley (still young for a CB), Hendry, Bates, Johnston, Tierney, Lindsay, John Souttar, Porteous, Cooper, McKenna for starters.

55 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Left backs: Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Bryan, Kingsley, Taylor, Doig.

CB's:                               McTom, Gallagher, Hanley (still young for a CB), Hendry, Bates, Johnston, Tierney, Lindsay, John Souttar, Porteous, Cooper, McKenna for starters.

I'm confused, at left back you have named 3 guys who are genuinely class. 2 of which are probably in the top 10 in their positions. Then you have named a horrendous bunch of centre backs most of which would never and will never get near a top club. Mctominay doesn't count as he's really a midfielder who really should be played in midfield for us. And I am sorry but Hanley isn't young, 29 is not young even for a centre back.

We need 1 left back in the team and we have 2 World class ones and another who looks like he can play at a high level(Hickey).

We need three centre backs in a team. If you think that 6 or 7 of those centre backs you have named are going to reach the standards Tierney, robertson have then thats delusional. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I'm confused, at left back you have named 3 guys who are genuinely class. 2 of which are probably in the top 10 in their positions. Then you have named a horrendous bunch of centre backs most of which would never and will never get near a top club. Mctominay doesn't count as he's really a midfielder who really should be played in midfield for us. And I am sorry but Hanley isn't young, 29 is not young even for a centre back.

We need 1 left back in the team and we have 2 World class ones and another who looks like he can play at a high level(Hickey).

We need three centre backs in a team. If you think that 6 or 7 of those centre backs you have named are going to reach the standards Tierney, robertson have then thats delusional. 

"Horrendous" Cooper? Hendry? McKenna? And where did I say they would equal Rob and Tierney? Three years ago we had difficulties naming any at all. 

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

"Horrendous" Cooper? Hendry? McKenna? And where did I say they would equal Rob and Tierney? Three years ago we had difficulties naming any at all. 

Lol yes horrendous if you are comparing them with Tierney and Robertson. Cooper, McKenna and hendry are guys who will never play at clubs like arsenal and Liverpool. 

"Three years ago we would have difficulties naming any at all" 

That statement is confusing. Are you saying three years ago we couldn't name any centre backs or left backs? I could of named you those three shit centre backs three years ago. 

Edited by mccaughey85