Sign in to follow this  
exile

The Alex Salmond Trial

On 6/1/2020 at 11:09 PM, Grim Jim said:

I've signed it, but please be aware that if I'd read your headline first I might not have.

It is what it is.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, thplinth said:

Was Independence taken into consideration when they decided to assassinate AS's character in order to keep him out of politics.

It is over for the foreseeable future. There is zero chance of independence under the current regime. They don't want it.

And once you remove the Independence carrot (cause that is all it is now) what remains is an increasingly horrible little party that has become a vehicle for a raft of uber woke shite that is the leaders personal political hobby horse.

There is a common theme to the SNP's ever increasing authoritarianism and what they attempted to do to Salmond. It is a deep seated arrogance that comes from having no real competition. We know what is best for you attitude the whole time. The house needs burnt down. It is exactly what is needed.

I disagree with that. They do want it, they're just willing to play a longer game than a lot of stalwart supporters (while at the same time pushing their personal careers and agendas, as is the nature of politics).

I often see folk on twatter talk about seeing independence "in their lifetime", like that fucking matters. This is bigger than you.**

Folk** need to not make the same factional mistakes as other indy movements throughout history, and keep the eyes on the prize. For those pissed off with the SNP, at the next elections i'd advocate: constituency vote SNP, list vote any indy party (there will be options).

**(that's rhetorical thplinth, i don't mean you personally).

12 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I disagree with that. They do want it, they're just willing to play a longer game than a lot of stalwart supporters (while at the same time pushing their personal careers and agendas, as is the nature of politics).

I often see folk on twatter talk about seeing independence "in their lifetime", like that fucking matters. This is bigger than you.**

Folk** need to not make the same factional mistakes as other indy movements throughout history, and keep the eyes on the prize. For those pissed off with the SNP, at the next elections i'd advocate: constituency vote SNP, list vote any indy party (there will be options).

**(that's rhetorical thplinth, i don't mean you personally).

At the leadership level I firmly believe they are (very) 'soft' on Independence and I think they have gone about populating the SNP with similar minded people.

I think NS has effectively 'New Laboured the SNP if you get my drift. I see her now as a Tony Blair like figure (minus the war crimes). She has hijacked the purpose of the SNP and used it for her own political hobby horses. This latest proposed Hate Bill is a shocker. With every turn they just get worse and worse. 

Right now I would note vote for anything that puts power into the hands of the current leadership of the SNP. Quite the opposite. Scotland's legal system has descended into disrepute under this Government. And who is it targeting... Alex Salmond and journalists who supported him. This is deeply fucked up stuff. Fuck Nicola Sturgeon and her bullshit at this point. I would not vote for the SNP with her in charge under any circumstances. I am just worried that any new leader would quickly discover a party riddled with the equivalent of Blairites, i.e. Sturgeonites.

edit: that reminds me Craig Murray is in court today.

Edited by thplinth
  • Haha 1

The first parliamentary inquiry starts to hear evidence this afternoon.   It's online if anyone is interested/bored.

This is into how the handling of the initial complaints about Salmond by the Scottish Government - primarily the civil service function, rather than ministers.   This is a result of Salmond winning his judicial review last year.   I expect this will cover the period before the police becoming involved.

Should be plenty of illuminating evidence coming out of this though.

There's another inquiry by the Standards commissioner into Nicola Sturgeon's conduct after she referred herself to that.  I suspect that won't be a public inquiry but rather the Standards commisioner will publish a report.

There's been some talk about public inquiries into the decisions to prosecute and also internally within the SNP over how it was handled.   

Whether these happen will I guess largely depend on what comes out of this inquiry.

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

The first parliamentary inquiry starts to hear evidence this afternoon.   It's online if anyone is interested/bored.

This is into how the handling of the initial complaints about Salmond by the Scottish Government - primarily the civil service function, rather than ministers.   This is a result of Salmond winning his judicial review last year.   I expect this will cover the period before the police becoming involved.

Should be plenty of illuminating evidence coming out of this though.

There's another inquiry by the Standards commissioner into Nicola Sturgeon's conduct after she referred herself to that.  I suspect that won't be a public inquiry but rather the Standards commisioner will publish a report.

There's been some talk about public inquiries into the decisions to prosecute and also internally within the SNP over how it was handled.   

Whether these happen will I guess largely depend on what comes out of this inquiry.

I am on a weeks holiday and the weather looks shit so I might have a look . Do you have a link to the website ? 

47 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am on a weeks holiday and the weather looks shit so I might have a look . Do you have a link to the website ? 

https://www.scottishparliament.tv

I'm guessing that it's the committee on handling of harassment complaints.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👍

Scottish Parliament TV is pretty bad for suddenly hanging, you might need to refresh it from time to time.

Covers the actions of the current FM, SG officials and SPADs in relation to handling of complaints.

Committee's composition is:

Linda Fabiani (SNP) - Convener; Donald Cameron, Margaret Mitchell (Con); Jackie Baillie (Lab); Alasdair Allen, Maureen Watt, Angela Constance (SNP); Alison Johnstone (Greens), Alex Cole Hamilton (Lib Dem)

Okay - so this sounds like a procedural session and they are just setting out the way forwards and how they'll go about it, who they need to call as witnesses and the like.

Doesn't sound like there will be any actual evidence from witnesses until August at the earliest.

Edited by aaid

Do these arseholes all get sent to the same place that teaches them how to say the same thing over and over using a 50 times more words than necessary. No wonder these things drag on for so long. Absolute gob shites.