Old Firm Game - Page 16 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

They don’t think, that’s the problem. When a Man Utd player was getting it tight a few weeks ago, Sterling just stood by, watched & listened to it happen. Didn’t affect him, so he doesn’t care about it. It’s  all a media picture that they like to paint that it’s a massive problem. 

Too often that happens, although there was a case earlier in the season when Dover were playing at Hartlepool and a black Dover player was racially abused by a group of Hartlepool fans after he'd scored a penalty.   The game was halted for about 10 minutes while it was sorted out and apparently both managers were considering taking their teams off - the Hartlepool manager was Craig Hignett with whom I'm sure you are aware.

What made this different though was not only was it the Dover players who were having a go at the Hartlepool fans responsible in the aftermath but a number of Hartlepool players waded in having a go at their own fans.   Verbally, not physically obviously.   Need to see more of that that, not just when it's someone on your team getting it.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Too often that happens, although there was a case earlier in the season when Dover were playing at Hartlepool and a black Dover player was racially abused by a group of Hartlepool fans after he'd scored a penalty.   The game was halted for about 10 minutes while it was sorted out and apparently both managers were considering taking their teams off - the Hartlepool manager was Craig Hignett with whom I'm sure you are aware.

What made this different though was not only was it the Dover players who were having a go at the Hartlepool fans responsible in the aftermath but a number of Hartlepool players waded in having a go at their own fans.   Verbally, not physically obviously.   Need to see more of that that, not just when it's someone on your team getting it.

Exactly my point. Didn’t know about that, but probably never got the coverage it deserved as it was “only” two minor teams. Good to hear. 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Exactly my point. Didn’t know about that, but probably never got the coverage it deserved as it was “only” two minor teams. Good to hear. 

I'm reminded of the time when Mo Johnston signed for Rangers, in some ways we've moved on a lot since then, in others not so.

The club were looking for a high profile player to come out and publicly welcome him to the club.   The person they really wanted to do it was McCoist as they wanted a Scottish player - a "Rangers man", so to speak.

He refused to do it even though he was friendly with Johnston before he signed.   He said words to the effect of he was delighted that he'd signed and he'd stand up in the dressing room in front of everyone but wouldn't do it publicly.  Not because he was worried about any reaction coming his way but because some arsehole would put a brick through his mother's window.

I think there's an element of that in why players aren't keen to criticise their own fans but more should be prepared to stick their necks out IMHO.

Racism, bigotry.  Jeez, so glad I started this thread about a football match!  Good debates though guys in all seriousness.  It's a pleasure to read some or most of the comments.  Even if we don't all agree at times I firmly believe the TAMB is ok and will survive.  I joined Facebook last week and have 3 friends already!  Although one is dead and has been for some time.  Scotland Fprever.  Just going to Neidpath Inn in Peebles for a last hurrah before work on Monday.  TAMB Forever.

3 hours ago, WCTA said:

Without it they wouldn’t have received their huge wages. Rangers made their fortune through intolerance of culture and faith. 

Well this comment lasted well then, since it looks like St Johnstone are quite happy to go along when it brings the money in.

37 minutes ago, aaid said:

Well this comment lasted well then, since it looks like St Johnstone are quite happy to go along when it brings the money in.

Not even close to being the same thing. In-fact, your comment is downright stupid. 
St. Johnstone have never ever operated a policy that encourages divisions of faith from within their own club. 

Maybe when we bring out orange jerseys, link up with clubs from Orange County in the States you can begin to level that at us. 😒

Edited by WCTA

4 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Not even close to being the same thing. In-fact, your comment is downright stupid. 
St. Johnstone have never ever operated a policy that encourages divisions of faith from within their own club. 

Maybe when we bring out orange jerseys, link up with clubs from Orange County in the States you can begin to level that at us. 😒

Dress it up how you like but you can't have it both ways.  If Rangers players are paid a lot of money because they generate revenue by encouraging bigotry, what does it say about St Johnstone who give up three quarters of their stadium to the.same support that's motivated by bigotry?

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

Dress it up how you like but you can't have it both ways.  If Rangers players are paid a lot of money because they generate revenue by encouraging bigotry, what does it say about St Johnstone who give up three quarters of their stadium to the.same support that's motivated by bigotry?

Total bullshit. This is not about a club giving a seat to a fan who supposedly should have responsibilty. Rangers actively take a role in it by promoting that shite. 

13 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Total bullshit. This is not about a club giving a seat to a fan who supposedly should have responsibilty. Rangers actively take a role in it by promoting that shite. 

So it's okay to make money off people who are motivated by bigotry as long as they support another team then?

Go on, make a stand, don't let that poison into McDairmid Park.  Alternatively, bend over, spread those cheeks and take it for the cash. 

Just now, aaid said:

So it's okay to make money off people who are motivated by bigotry as long as they support another team then?

Go on, make a stand, don't let that poison into McDairmid Park.  Alternatively, bend over, spread those cheeks and take it for the cash. 

This is probably the first time I have been left utterly baffled by a series of posts of yours. You are clearly a smart man and that’s why it’s so puzzling that you are spouting utter gibberish here on Ramy-like levels. 😳

39 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Whoah... was that real?! I just assumed that was a photoshop spoof announcement. 

13 minutes ago, WCTA said:

This is probably the first time I have been left utterly baffled by a series of posts of yours. You are clearly a smart man and that’s why it’s so puzzling that you are spouting utter gibberish here on Ramy-like levels. 😳

How about addressing the point of why exactly St Johnstone are pandering to the old firm rather than trying to deflect from it.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

How about addressing the point of why exactly St Johnstone are pandering to the old firm rather than trying to deflect from it.

It’s nothing new. It’s fucking disgraceful. If I had my way I’d ban all Huns from McD. Our owners are cunts though. I was young early 90s when they did it then. I remember folk flinging season books on the park. They lost a lot of fans then. My Dad was one.

A variety of clubs do it. It certainly doesn’t mean they actively encourage sectarian divisions. 

Edited by WCTA

12 minutes ago, WCTA said:

It’s nothing new. It’s fucking disgraceful. If I had my way I’d ban all Huns from McD. Our owners are cunts though. I was young early 90s when they did it then. I remember folk flinging season books on the park. They lost a lot of fans then. My Dad was one.

A variety of clubs do it. It certainly doesn’t mean they actively encourage sectarian divisions. 

Doesn't mean they aren't happy to profit from them though. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Doesn't mean they aren't happy to profit from them though. 

You are comparing two opposite things. Once again, unlike Rangers my club does not personally promote sectarian bigotry. You are making no sense. Absolutely have a go at my club for it’s embarrassing behaviour over it’s meek surrender to the Glasgow big two and I will fully agree with you but keep it on track. It’s not the same thing at all as to what you are implying.

Edited by WCTA

A small club making logical decisions to maximize their tickets sales should have fuck all to do with endorsing bigotry or otherwise. The problem is with the bigots and those who seek to deflect from it. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Specious argument.

16 minutes ago, thplinth said:

A small club making logical decisions to maximize their tickets sales should have fuck all to do with endorsing bigotry or otherwise. The problem is with the bigots and those who seek to deflect from it. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Specious argument.

I think it’s more a case of shutting up the teuchter fermer for having a go at his club. 

Rather than looking for endless ways to pass the blame why do fans just not point blank refuse to pay money to attend games when supporters at their clubs are throwing sectarian or racist abuse about. All I ever hear is decent fans saying is its a small minority that do but that it doesn't make it right. 

Well do something about it . Your club will start panicking when no bugger except the deadheads turn up. 

A friend of mine, a Rangers fan and normally a thoroughly decent guy , openly admitted he was a ‘90 minute bigot’ . Wtf . This is all wrong. I know for a fact if he really thought the club would be penalised he would not join in but folk get sucked into this shit and the only people that can change it, if the clubs wont, are the fans. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Rather than looking for endless ways to pass the blame why do fans just not point blank refuse to pay money to attend games when supporters at their clubs are throwing sectarian or racist abuse about. 

The supporters of the guilty clubs like it, they enjoy it. That’s the issue, and their clubs actively encourage it.