Camerons Election Promise - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Camerons Election Promise

According to the Fabian society there will need to be 40bn of cuts and not the 25bn already stated by the tories.This would be required to plug the gap that these tax cutting policies would leave. VAT could be increased hitting the poorest in Society. Tories have actually caught the oppo parties out. Appealing to those in the £40k to £50k bracket will win votes. My hope is people think beyond their personal circumstances and imagine what the education sector is going to look like in 10 years time.

According to the Fabian society there will need to be 40bn of cuts and not the 25bn already stated by the tories.This would be required to plug the gap that these tax cutting policies would leave. VAT could be increased hitting the poorest in Society. Tories have actually caught the oppo parties out. Appealing to those in the £40k to £50k bracket will win votes. My hope is people think beyond their personal circumstances and imagine what the education sector is going to look like in 10 years time.

It might win them some votes but the average wage is about £26K, so by definition about half the working population are below that. I would have thought that the proportion of folk on over 40K is quite small. Maybe they are relying on the fact that the folk at the bottom end are too stupid to realise they are being shafted.

It might win them some votes but the average wage is about £26K, so by definition about half the working population are below that. I would have thought that the proportion of folk on over 40K is quite small. Maybe they are relying on the fact that the folk at the bottom end are too stupid to realise they are being shafted.

Remember the average wage is massively skewed by those earning 7 figures and above - I'd wager that more than 3/4 of the working population earn £26k or less.

Is it not somewhere between 10 and 15%?

No doubt many work in London and figure much lower elsewhere.

As I understand it, these promised tax cuts will only come into force once the deficit has been cleared and the country is back in the black. By their own admissions this will not be before 2020. Expect even more cuts in the meantime.

I've read a few articles - FT, Independent and BBC and can't see anything stating that it's dependent on the deficit being wiped out.

Does it say this anywhere?

I've read a few articles - FT, Independent and BBC and can't see anything stating that it's dependent on the deficit being wiped out.

Just because it's not reported doesn't mean it's not the case. It's in the small print so to speak - as with "The Vow", an announcement is made and then it is qualified by subsequent statements.

Just because it's not reported doesn't mean it's not the case. It's in the small print so to speak - as with "The Vow", an announcement is made and then it is qualified by subsequent statements.

So it's not been stated anywhere that it's linked to the deficit being wiped out?

Understand where you're coming from that we can't trust a word of anything they say but I'm just trying to be clear on what has actually been said and whether it was stated as being linked to wiping the deficit?

It wasn't part of Cameron's speech but was 'clarified' by a later announcement from the Tory Party. I'll try and find the source again, as I don't recall at the moment, and post it here later.

It is the projected increase in north sea tax receipts, not from the fantasy "biggest oil find" but new instillations and as a result of infrastructure investment

He is commiting to raising the 20% to 12500 and the 40% to 50k. On top of this scrapping death tax. One has to wonder where the cuts are coming from to tackle deficit. These tax cuts will take another 7bn out of the treasury.Commitment to maintain NHS budget. So what's is in line for privatisation?

So it's not been stated anywhere that it's linked to the deficit being wiped out?

Understand where you're coming from that we can't trust a word of anything they say but I'm just trying to be clear on what has actually been said and whether it was stated as being linked to wiping the deficit?

It was stated specifically in one of the post-speech interviews that I heard. Can't remember who said it but it was a Tory spokesman.

Five surgeons are discussing who has the best patients to operate on.

The first surgeon says, 'I like to see accountants on my operating table because when you ...open them up, everything inside is numbered.'

The second responds, 'Yeah, but you should try electricians! Everything inside them is colour-coded.'

The third surgeon says, 'No, I really think librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order.'

The fourth surgeon chimes in, 'You know I like construction workers. Those guys always understand when you have a few parts left over at the end, and when the job takes longer than you said it would.'

But the fifth surgeon shut them all up when he observed: 'You're all wrong. Politicians are the easiest to operate on... there's no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains, and no spine, and there are only two moving parts - the mouth and the asshole - and they are interchangeable'

It's alright! Nick Clegg's got it sorted according to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29476172

"Nick Clegg has declared himself the "guarantor" in government over delivering more powers for Scotland. At the same time, he has expressed irritation with Prime Minister David Cameron in linking the issue with English votes for English laws...As the guarantor, if you like, in government, as the party which has the only Scottish people around the cabinet table, I can guarantee you that those powers will be delivered. Whatever the noises from the Conservative party and others - it will be delivered in full on time, as promised."

We can all sleep easy in our beds now

Five surgeons are discussing who has the best patients to operate on.

The first surgeon says, 'I like to see accountants on my operating table because when you ...open them up, everything inside is numbered.'

The second responds, 'Yeah, but you should try electricians! Everything inside them is colour-coded.'

The third surgeon says, 'No, I really think librarians are the best; everything inside them is in alphabetical order.'

The fourth surgeon chimes in, 'You know I like construction workers. Those guys always understand when you have a few parts left over at the end, and when the job takes longer than you said it would.'

But the fifth surgeon shut them all up when he observed: 'You're all wrong. Politicians are the easiest to operate on... there's no guts, no heart, no balls, no brains, and no spine, and there are only two moving parts - the mouth and the asshole - and they are interchangeable'

:-))