The Mighty Celtic... - Page 289 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Mighty Celtic...

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Very impressive financial results but will only serve to fuel the portion of support who think more should be spent on the squad.

I must say, im surprised Celtic didnt spend more in this window. Mainly because I didnt think Rodgers would return and potentially be given worse squad than Ange had last year. 

Rodgers will largely be judged in Europe, many said that was his motivation for returning and yet on the face of it this squad would seem ill equiped to give him a fighting chance. 

Would be interesting to know if they expected and went big on targets and just didnt get them.

I spoke to someone I would consider to be genuinely ‘in the know’ ahead of the St Johnstone game. I pressed him on some of the high profile targets we’d been linked with and asked why we didn’t seem to be pressing the button on them. He replied that there was ‘no appetite’ in the boardroom to spend that kind of money on transfers/wages, they’d rather spend money on the infrastructure.

So there you have it. No fuckin appetite. No appetite to improve what it’s all about, the team on the pitch. No appetite to make a mark in Europe or any of the other bullshit the fans and possibly Rodgers were fed during the summer. I’ll tell you what I’ve no appetite for, I’ve no appetite to renew a ST when the club has just shown you there’s no will to try and make us become the best version we could be on the pitch where it really matters to fans.

Its become clear to me over the last few years there’s not one scintilla of ambition in that boardroom other than to maintain the duopoly, staying one step ahead of the huns where possible. It’s not good enough, it’s selling the club and the fans short. I’ll always support Celtic but next year I will most likely be doing it from my armchair. There are plenty of others who’ll line up to take my place. If I need a match day fix I’ll get it at Scotland games or I’ll go and watch the bully wee or the Accies. Unless there’s a complete sea change in attitude at Celtic they have had the last of my money!

End of rant 😂

5 hours ago, slasher said:

I spoke to someone I would consider to be genuinely ‘in the know’ ahead of the St Johnstone game. I pressed him on some of the high profile targets we’d been linked with and asked why we didn’t seem to be pressing the button on them. He replied that there was ‘no appetite’ in the boardroom to spend that kind of money on transfers/wages, they’d rather spend money on the infrastructure.

So there you have it. No fuckin appetite. No appetite to improve what it’s all about, the team on the pitch. No appetite to make a mark in Europe or any of the other bullshit the fans and possibly Rodgers were fed during the summer. I’ll tell you what I’ve no appetite for, I’ve no appetite to renew a ST when the club has just shown you there’s no will to try and make us become the best version we could be on the pitch where it really matters to fans.

Its become clear to me over the last few years there’s not one scintilla of ambition in that boardroom other than to maintain the duopoly, staying one step ahead of the huns where possible. It’s not good enough, it’s selling the club and the fans short. I’ll always support Celtic but next year I will most likely be doing it from my armchair. There are plenty of others who’ll line up to take my place. If I need a match day fix I’ll get it at Scotland games or I’ll go and watch the bully wee or the Accies. Unless there’s a complete sea change in attitude at Celtic they have had the last of my money!

End of rant 😂

Thats interesting and tbh not surprising to hear. Unfortunetly being slightly ahead of the other OF team is all that really matters to a large percentage of fans.

When you say infrastucture do you mean invest in the stadium / training ground or will it include youth academy?

If real money was put into youth system then at least that might be worhtwhile. Ie adopting a Ajax system.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thats interesting and tbh not surprising to hear. Unfortunetly being slightly ahead of the other OF team is all that really matters to a large percentage of fans.

When you say infrastucture do you mean invest in the stadium / training ground or will it include youth academy?

If real money was put into youth system then at least that might be worhtwhile. Ie adopting a Ajax system.

You’re right about it being enough for a lot of the fans but not for me. Nowhere near. To answer your question they are investing £20m+ in improvements at Barrowfield training complex and Lennoxtown. Nothing wrong with that but it it should go hand in hand with investment in the first team. I notice they have in their press release, invented an imaginary financial reserve buffer they need to create to negate the difference between CL football and Europa League. Shareholders will get their dividends yet again and certain directors super bonuses. Shameless cunts the lot of them!

How can you be surprised at this? They could be considered prudent in what they are doing. This is a period when winning the league for a few seasons on the bounce has to be odds on. If so, take this opportunity to play a bit of a longer game and invest in facilities with a view to producing players to profit from in future. This strategy has to be better than spunking loads on what will only be ‘decent journeymen’ in a European context……. like ajeti.

23 hours ago, slasher said:

Well done 👏

Exactly the kind of snidey pish we’ve all come to expect of the Aberdeen support of late 👍

Ok I’ll give Celtic credit for finally admitting there was a connection between them and Celtic boys club and are willing to pay compensation and hopefully give them all sincere apologies, shame it’s taken them so long to do the right thing. By the way I don’t think Celtic are the only club with coaches who committed vile assaults on young players.

6 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Agree mate. Funny how they are always the same ones to bring it up when it makes the papers... 

They were easily the worst away support to rock up at Celtic Park last season m8. Dunno what’s happened to them.

10 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Ok I’ll give Celtic credit for finally admitting there was a connection between them and Celtic boys club and are willing to pay compensation and hopefully give them all sincere apologies, shame it’s taken them so long to do the right thing. By the way I don’t think Celtic are the only club with coaches who committed vile assaults on young players.

No one asked you to do anything, this is all your own work. Like I said, just snide.

12 hours ago, ger intae them said:

How can you be surprised at this? They could be considered prudent in what they are doing. This is a period when winning the league for a few seasons on the bounce has to be odds on. If so, take this opportunity to play a bit of a longer game and invest in facilities with a view to producing players to profit from in future. This strategy has to be better than spunking loads on what will only be ‘decent journeymen’ in a European context……. like ajeti.

Where did I say I was surprised?

To answer the points you raised (a) there’s a world of difference between prudence and stockpiling cash, (b) investing in facilities is good but it doesn’t guarantee producing better players. Anyway I’m not convinced that this investment isn’t more about cashing in on the growth of the women’s game (c) we’re losing Academy players left, right and centre to elite teams with deep pockets long before they get near the first team and finally (d) failure to invest properly in your first team is a failure of leadership, it’s what it’s all about for most of us. If we had strengthened in the areas we were crying out for I’d be fairly confident we would have won in Rotterdam the other night. I’d also be be fairly confident we’d get through that group. That would be actual progress on the pitch which is all the fans want to see 👍

9 hours ago, slasher said:

They were easily the worst away support to rock up at Celtic Park last season m8. Dunno what’s happened to them.

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Agree mate. Funny how they are always the same ones to bring it up when it makes the papers... 

Should we not post about it at all?

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

It’s a message board you can comment on whatever you like. If you behave like a snidey prick (see post above 🙄) chances are you’ll get a reaction.

I posted an article and stated something factual. There was nothing snidey about it

1 hour ago, slasher said:

I didn’t say there was I was reacting to another poster 🤷🏼‍♂️

You freely comment on other teams yet you get upset when I posted about Celtic finally admitting they were involved in the boys club abuse after years of ignoring & denying it happened at one of their affiliated entities. Pity you haven’t been upset enough about how Celtic have handled the scandal and raised it with them. 

11 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

You freely comment on other teams yet you get upset when I posted about Celtic finally admitting they were involved in the boys club abuse after years of ignoring & denying it happened at one of their affiliated entities. Pity you haven’t been upset enough about how Celtic have handled the scandal and raised it with them. 

Nice try, but I’m not the one who decided to utilise child abuse to score some cheap laughs on a message board now am I?

13 minutes ago, slasher said:

Nice try, but I’m not the one who decided to utilise child abuse to score some cheap laughs on a message board now am I?

Ok point taken 👍

I do get pissed off & angry about all the cases of abuse which has been ignored & worst of all covered up by people in power who could have stopped it but chose to protect the perpetrators for some reason. The list is long, Saville, Rolf Harris, Bradford grooming ring & now potentially the BBC again with Russel Brand. The ones who cover this shit up are as guilty if not more than the actual pervs they protect & should face the full might of the law.