Scottish player transfers - Page 232 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

9 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

That would be a surprise as I'd have thought they'd be setting their sights higher. Maybe he'll develop into a really good player but he's 22 which isn't THAT young for his position. 

BBC reporting that Bayern Munich want Robertson. Klopp is leaving and Robertson is going to turn 30 soon so it might be the time to move.

I like him and I was suprised, but then you see stuff like Everton issuing a hands off like in the link below. He seems to be simultaneously considered not good enough and one of the hottest properties in Europe. 

https://x.com/EFCdaily_/status/1754885270183289328?s=20

Rumours around Lewis Ferguson being tracked by Juventus again with the ban of Pogba potentially leaving a gap in their squad. Not sure I believe it myself and I would fear him being a bit-part player in a bigger club over the heart of a smaller club. Nevertheless, great to see our players interesting clubs like that if true.

43 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Rumours around Lewis Ferguson being tracked by Juventus again with the ban of Pogba potentially leaving a gap in their squad. Not sure I believe it myself and I would fear him being a bit-part player in a bigger club over the heart of a smaller club. Nevertheless, great to see our players interesting clubs like that if true.

It's possibly just paper talk, although, he is a regular and respected performer in Serie A, so maybe there is something to it.

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's possibly just paper talk, although, he is a regular and respected performer in Serie A, so maybe there is something to it.

Probably. Having said that their coach (Allegri) is expected to move on from Juventus this summer and Motta is being heavily linked so perhaps a bit more weight there too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 6:51 PM, syecosse said:

Fabrizio Romano reporting that Tommy Conway is wanted by Prem sides as well as other top European leagues , Bristol are trying to tie him down on a longer deal. 

Why is he or Hardie not in the friendlies squad? We are crying out for strikers and this is another baffling decision by Clarke...

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Karamoko Dembele apparently has Leeds, Leicester, Everton and West Ham interested in signing him after a successful spell at Blackpool, not sure what nation he will be with next though. 

Almost certainly nothing to do with present or future Scotland squads but good to see Hearts signing two Scottish players on pre contracts (Spittal and Penrice). Saw them a lot for Thistle and they are decent SPL players but light years away from the squad in two of our strongest areas.

Still well done to Hearts and Naismith for bucking the anyone but Scottish players trend. 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Almost certainly nothing to do with present or future Scotland squads but good to see Hearts signing two Scottish players on pre contracts (Spittal and Penrice). Saw them a lot for Thistle and they are decent SPL players but light years away from the squad in two of our strongest areas.

Still well done to Hearts and Naismith for bucking the anyone but Scottish players trend. 

There were murmurings from some Motherwell fans that Spittal should be getting a look in. Not very realistic, but that shows you how well he's been doing if some folk are bold enough to suggest him. 

Who was the last team to actually have a strong Scottish contingent? (And be semi-successful). The Andy Robertson Dundee Utd team? Can't think of any since then.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

There were murmurings from some Motherwell fans that Spittal should be getting a look in. Not very realistic, but that shows you how well he's been doing if some folk are bold enough to suggest him. 

Who was the last team to actually have a strong Scottish contingent? (And be semi-successful). The Andy Robertson Dundee Utd team? Can't think of any since then.

Surprisingly probably Celtic during Rodgers first spell.

Gordon, Tierney, Armstrong, Brown, Christie, Griffiths and Forrest. Made up the main bit of the Scotland squad. 

10 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Hibs 2016 Scottish Cup winning team spring to mind. David Gray, Darren McGregor (wasn’t for injuries, he’d have been capped a couple of times particularly with how poor our CB options were back then), Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson, Fraser Fyvie, Dylan McGeouch, Liam Henderson, John McGinn, James Keatings, Jason Cummings & Martin Boyle (both the latter two were still eligible for Scotland before Australia capped them). Even though they were in the championship, that team is adored by Hibs fans for ending the 114 year wait for a Scottish Cup title. Think it’s the only team to have won the Scottish Cup that weren’t a premiership team that same season.

Edited by DesiScotsman

11 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Surprisingly probably Celtic during Rodgers first spell.

Gordon, Tierney, Armstrong, Brown, Christie, Griffiths and Forrest. Made up the main bit of the Scotland squad. 

Good point. I'd say Ronny Deila should get a fair amount of credit for signing most of them. But Rodgers didn't shirk at playing most of them. I can't see him going out of his way to re-stock the Scots at Celtic this time round. 

8 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Hibs 2016 Scottish Cup winning team spring to mind. David Gray, Darren McGregor (wasn’t for injuries, he’d have been capped a couple of times particularly with how poor our CB options were back then), Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson, Fraser Fyvie, Dylan McGeouch, Liam Henderson, John McGinn, James Keatings, Jason Cummings & Martin Boyle (both the latter two were still eligible for Scotland before Australia capped them). Even though they were in the championship, that team is adored by Hibs fans for ending the 114 year wait for a Scottish Cup title. Think it’s the only team to have won the Scottish Cup that weren’t a premiership team that same season.

Oooh good shout. They had a lot of players with tons of potential who were being touted for bigger things. McGinn obviously being the most successful. Henderson, Boyle and Cummings haven't done too bad for themselves either.

14 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Amazing that only McGinn went on to have a successful Scotland career, bearing in mind how shite we were in 2016.

Suppose you could add the St Johnstone double cup winning team who were full of Scots or eligibles. 

40 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Who else was in that Utd team remind me? I’m thinking Stuart Armstrong, Gary Kenneth?

13 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Who else was in that Utd team remind me? I’m thinking Stuart Armstrong, Gary Kenneth?

That was the Gauld, GMS, Souttar, Armstrong, Rankin, Robertson, Paton team. I'm sure there were a few others as well.

Edit: Mark Wilson as well.

Edited by Tartan blood

33 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Good point. I'd say Ronny Deila should get a fair amount of credit for signing most of them. But Rodgers didn't shirk at playing most of them. I can't see him going out of his way to re-stock the Scots at Celtic this time round. 

Oooh good shout. They had a lot of players with tons of potential who were being touted for bigger things. McGinn obviously being the most successful. Henderson, Boyle and Cummings haven't done too bad for themselves either.

Definitely agree with both your points

30 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Amazing that only McGinn went on to have a successful Scotland career, bearing in mind how shite we were in 2016.

Suppose you could add the St Johnstone double cup winning team who were full of Scots or eligibles. 

Another good shout, only Zander Clark has made it into the Scotland squad albeit as a back up. I remember that St J team had a very good back line that season -  Shaun Rooney, Jason Kerr, Liam Gordon & Jamie McCart.

6 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Another good shout, only Zander Clark has made it into the Scotland squad albeit as a back up. I remember that St J team had a very good back line that season -  Shaun Rooney, Jason Kerr, Liam Gordon & Jamie McCart.

Who all had decent careers in lower leagues in England, (Rooney still bulldozing goals for Fleetwood) whatever happened to the ball playing midfielder who went to Preston for a million and chose NI rather than us. Probably the best player in that team.

3 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Who all had decent careers in lower leagues in England, (Rooney still bulldozing goals for Fleetwood) whatever happened to the ball playing midfielder who went to Preston for a million and chose NI rather than us. Probably the best player in that team.

Ali McCann. Still at Preston and playing regularly. He represented Northern Ireland in the youth age groups so probably felt more wanted by them so opted to represent them instead of us.