Question Time Tonight - Page 80 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

7 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Yes. In particular he should've nailed once and for all the myth that the SNP keep threatening a second referendum.  Humza had the opportunity when Blundell piped up about it to turn it straight back on him by pointing out that not only is it HIS party and not the SNP which keeps persistently banging on about Indyref 2 time and time again but their leader built a whole bloody election campaign around it!

I did feel though that  he was blocked out far too often and not given a fair chance to get his voice heard by Dimbleby and there were times when despite it seeming natural to go to Humza for a comment, it just didn't happen. Indyref 2 was one such subject when mentioned by Blundell and also that Tory idiot in the audience but I found it incredibly strange that he wasn't allowed to explain the named person policy properly, yet Dimbleby himself tried and made an arse of it and that Merryl whats-her-name was able to ramble on nonsensically and cluelessly about it. Surely you'd let the government representative explain a policy, especially one which the others clearly knew little or nothing about?

I thought Hunza handled the referendum thing fine - he did mention that it was Mundell who brought it up 4 times, but was I think interrupted before he could finish the point

The Tories have a very limited hand, but they have found a way of just banging on about it - Mundell could have been briefed to say just 3 things - that the SNP vote fell, "2nd referendum" and probably something about "use those tax powers" and he said the same things over and over. Kezia is less crude but more all over the place.

I didn't think Humza handled the named person thing particularly well, given the context (of general ignorance and hostility) - ie could have been more combative less defensive. He could have taken a Mundell approach and just banged on about 2  or 3 simple points, (a) the opposition and you are misrepresenting it, (b) the professionals welcome it, and it works where it's been tried (c)  other parties including Labour support the principle so it's about building consensus on the detail [if I understand it correctly]

I think it's difficult though in a context where you can't be sure of getting a whole point across without being interrupted.

Edited by exile

I thought Dugdale made a very good point regarding Named Person, the Government haven't made a particularly good job of explaining what the legislation exactly does.  Albeit that it's difficult to do that when there's a lot of misinformation and hyperbole flying around, but still they are the government and they are supposed to be able to do difficult things.   I'm not sure I necessarily agree with a need to pause it though.

i see that Ruth is looking to use this as a test of her new super-opposition. I can't see them winning a vote on this.

i don't think they'll get this opposition MSP on board although he is a Lib Dem so who knows - actually a pretty good explanation here. 

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Thought Jim Sillars did very well

Appeared they didnt want to give him much time

Probably because he took about 3 times longer to make his points. Modern tv doesn't afford you that space unfortunately.

Kez had the quip of night with her line about nevermind the Queen what did Prince Philip say? :-))

17 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

I actually thought the bold Kezia came across very well last night. I'm sure she's a lovely girl, but just got mixed up in that abomination of a party.

First Johann becomes likeable and now Kez?! :yikes3:.  We're all Keir Hardie's weans right enough! :wink2:

This opposition to the Named Person stuff should have been nipped in bud ages ago. Tory/Labour council in Ayrshire have been implementing it for last 5 years. Tories and Labour need to be confrtoned with this uncomfortable truth more often - I have no problem with genuine objections but the hysteria around it is down to political opportunism.

On the EU and everything else

Id be getting pissed off too with someone constantly sniping without being constructive

TUl3v2ht_bigger.jpg Can't Lab do anything anymore without having a go at the SNP? We're already making positive case - hope they join us

15 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Meant to add. I still dont see the big deal with Humza - far too smooth and casual for my liking. Has the look and persona of a professional politician. Rarely heard anything of real substance from him that makes him stand out as a potential star.

Agree, Reekie. If you've got access to a radio just now, stick on The Big Debate. This quine Joanne Cherry(?) is outstanding.

20 minutes ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Agree, Reekie. If you've got access to a radio just now, stick on The Big Debate. This quine Joanne Cherry(?) is outstanding.

She is very, very good.

2 hours ago, Auld_Reekie said:

This opposition to the Named Person stuff should have been nipped in bud ages ago. Tory/Labour council in Ayrshire have been implementing it for last 5 years. Tories and Labour need to be confrtoned with this uncomfortable truth more often - I have no problem with genuine objections but the hysteria around it is down to political opportunism.

Absolutely.  It wouldn't surprise me if the bill failed to get through parliament, not because of any principled objections but just for the sake of giving the government a bloody nose.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Meant to add. I still dont see the big deal with Humza - far too smooth and casual for my liking. Has the look and persona of a professional politician. Rarely heard anything of real substance from him that makes him stand out as a potential star.

He seems like a nice enough guy but he is a bit New Laboury.  

However, he appears to be flavour of the month in SNP towers, for reasons which aren't obvious to me.

38 minutes ago, scotlad said:

He seems like a nice enough guy but he is a bit New Laboury.  

However, he appears to be flavour of the month in SNP towers, for reasons which aren't obvious to me.

You know the reason, you said it yourself.

22 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

You know the reason, you said it yourself.

Right, I'm with you. ;)

I didn't watch it last night but some folk on Twitter have claimed he admitted the SNP only said they favoured retaining the monarchy in the event of independence  "for the referendum", i.e. they didnae really mean it. Not that that's a problem for me at all, or, I suspect, quite a few people in Scotland. 

3 hours ago, Flora MaDonald said:

Brewer telt. She's the best I've heard in a long while.

Just listening back to this - she really isn't taking any prisoners.

That QC training coming in handy.

3 hours ago, Flora MaDonald said:

If you've got access to a radio just now, stick on The Big Debate. This quine Joanne Cherry(?) is outstanding.

Heard Michael Gove saying great things about her performance in Westminster, which surprised me. Then I realised she's actually his twin sister...

mnq12cIE.jpg

article-0-1CBD543500000578-195_306x423.j

7 hours ago, scotlad said:

Right, I'm with you. ;)

I didn't watch it last night but some folk on Twitter have claimed he admitted the SNP only said they favoured retaining the monarchy in the event of independence  "for the referendum", i.e. they didnae really mean it. Not that that's a problem for me at all, or, I suspect, quite a few people in Scotland. 

He did.  I actually can't believe more hasn't been made of it.

36 minutes ago, andymac said:

He did.  I actually can't believe more hasn't been made of it.

I don't think he said anything that folk don't already know. He didn't say it quite like scotlad reported it. It was more along the lines of a lot of folk in the SNP are republicans but they just went along with the party line during the referendum campaign. Nothing new there.