A Good Weeks Work - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does this mean that whatever we raise in taxes, and is subsequently taken off the block grant, the money taken off remains at Westminster? Are we effectively taxing scotland to help fund Westminster even more? Is that right or have i got it all wrong?

Thats what I was wondering as well I can't see any other way they would do it. So we will get tax powers but it'll be the rubbish tax powers, no power over things like airport duty or the proceeds of the oil revenue.

And the railway I was talking about funding was that high speed one that won't even come into this country.

Sorry, the above post was sarcasm based on my opposition to both the EU and SNP. I should have used a smiley :D

Sorry, can you clarify for me please. Are you saying that one of the reasons you want us to leave the EU is so that we can be allowed to continue to have a really, really shyte rail transport provider?

Sorry, can you clarify for me please. Are you saying that one of the reasons you want us to leave the EU is so that we can be allowed to continue to have a really, really shyte rail transport provider?

No, I want to leave the EU because I like my services like I like my nudity. Public!

can you summarize for a village idiot such as myself.

Public procurement documents are in the public domain. They describe the service being procured up front (including broad pricing). The tender that best fits the request wins. The procuring organisation cannot handicap, in any way, the tenderering organisation if they come from another EU state.

I don't think it is the EU that stops us having a state owned rail system.

EU market integration is putting increasing pressure on member states public services, increasingly so with the introduction of TTIP.

As I've said before I recognise that in polling it seems the majority of Scots favour EU membership, and I don't think it's fair to be torn out of it in the event of a UK wide referendum, however in both scenarios of a independent Scotland or a UK wide referendum I'd vote No to EU membership.

The EU is the Emperor to Salmond as Count Dooku. Evil :(

EU market integration is putting increasing pressure on member states public services, increasingly so with the introduction of TTIP.

As I've said before I recognise that in polling it seems the majority of Scots favour EU membership, and I don't think it's fair to be torn out of it in the event of a UK wide referendum, however in both scenarios of a independent Scotland or a UK wide referendum I'd vote No to EU membership.

If you think the independence debate opened up massive divisions in Scotland just wait till the EU referendum and its impact on UK politics. I think Cameron probably lies away thinking why did he promise this. It will cost the Tories a majority in the UK elections.

Edited by EddardStark

I've never understood this attitude to Europe. It has its faults, but it has achieved a massive amount in fifty or sixty years - made war within western Europe virtually impossible, assisted huge economic growth, stabilised and stimulated food supply to the level where starvation and famine is unknown (or would be if it wasn't for individual govt policies). If people think these things would just have happened anyway without the EU, they're deluded.

I've never understood this attitude to Europe. It has its faults, but it has achieved a massive amount in fifty or sixty years - made war within western Europe virtually impossible, assisted huge economic growth, stabilised and stimulated food supply to the level where starvation and famine is unknown (or would be if it wasn't for individual govt policies). If people think these things would just have happened anyway without the EU, they're deluded.

Having three venues for the European Parliament in Brussels, Strasbourg and Luxembourg is a total waste of money.

Edited by EddardStark

Guest flumax

Having three venues for the European Parliament in Brussels, Strasbourg and Luxembourg is a total waste of money.

would like to see a similar situation where the UK parliament is held around the UK and rotate between Westminster, Holyrood, stormont, senedd

Rubbish. Concentrating all power in one place is dangerously undemocratic - see Westminster. EU functions should be distributed.

Can you demonstrate how the three locations is a waste of money?

Rubbish. Concentrating all power in one place is dangerously undemocratic - see Westminster. EU functions should be distributed.

I am afraid I can't Useful link here though.

http://lidiageringer.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/the-three-working-places-of-the-european-parliament-in-light-of-the-parliaments-discharge-report-for-2010/

Guest flumax

I like the idea, but you cannot deny it is costly to decamp to another parliament building. However I disagree with the word Waste, it is a nessersery expenditure for highlighting a decentralised ideal.

You know what, screw it. Get rid of all parliaments and just have video conferences, that will save loads of money.

She only really talks about total costs there, with no comparison of savings if they relocated. There are definitely savings to be made, but relocating everything to Brussels would involve massive construction costs to build a new parliament etc, and all subsidiary costs would rise purely from market effects. Its very important that there isn't a concentrated seat of power in the EU as it should work on a model f distribution of powers and shared responsibility across the member states.

I like the idea, but you cannot deny it is costly to decamp to another parliament building. However I disagree with the word Waste, it is a nessersery expenditure for highlighting a decentralised ideal.

You know what, screw it. Get rid of all parliaments and just have video conferences, that will save loads of money.

Just keep the conferences in the carribean and Mauritius

If you think the independence debate opened up massive divisions in Scotland just wait till the EU referendum and its impact on UK politics. I think Cameron probably lies away thinking why did he promise this. It will cost the Tories a majority in the UK elections.

It's just a promise from a politician though. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Not really sure what this comes under but I notice that the UK govts have just agreed a joint visa scheme whereby visitors outside the EU can use the same short-stay visa to move freely between the states.

UKs relationship with RoI just seems so different to what they were promising for an independent Scotland

Surely nothing to do with favouring anyone. Tender should be awarded on best case, not just price. Keith Brown not saying much so far.

Unfortunately saving Scottish jobs doesn't cut it with EU procurement law.

If that were to be allowed them all EU countries would just favour their own companies.

The difference is the Dutch (and French and Germans) have a Nationalised provider that they allow to bid for foreign contracts (as is the case with this Dutch train company). Our (Britains) policy is not to have nationalised companies (Except for banks. It's fine if it's a bank).

J

The end of the joint vow?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/labour-will-boycott-any-talks-on-english-votes-for-english-laws-9794642.html

"the scene is set for a parliamentary vote on the issue... and the parties setting out their rival positions on the subject at the election.

“If it is not resolved, it will become an election issue between the parties.”

Edited by exile