A Good Weeks Work - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

In less than a week since the vote, we have had threats to cut Scotland's funding; no sign of the promised powers or a timetable; more oil in scottish waters that can be extracted; Westminster mp's gathering to exclude scottish mp's from English voting, therefore creating an English parliament; the Labour Party talking about the threat to privatisation of the nhs; the prime minister letting the cat out the bag about what the queen wanted from the referendum and we are about to be led into another war.

Did I miss anything? What a week, none of it positive for Scotland......

Edited by ronaldhinos dentist

In less than a week since the vote, we have had threats to cut Scotland's funding; no sign of the promised powers or a timetable; more oil in scottish waters that can be extracted; Westminster mp's gathering to exclude scottish mp's from English voting, therefore creating an English parliament; the Labour Party talking about the threat to privatisation of the nhs; the prime minister letting the cat out the bag about what the queen wanted from the referendum and we are about to be led into another war.

You missed the bit about the collapse of the SNP's membership.

Ugly scenes in George Square (and media suddenly not so interested when the intimidation is pro-British)

Internet abuse of Andy Murray (and media suddenly not so interested in abuse when from cyberbrits)

Ugly scenes in George Square (and media suddenly not so interested when the intimidation is pro-British)

Internet abuse of Andy Murray (and media suddenly not so interested in abuse when from cyberbrits)

correct.

• 2 weeks later...

This could go under various threads but seems best to fit the mood of this one, of things anticipated on here before the vote, but now facing up to the reality of what the no vote/ 'extra powers' could have in store...

Scottish independence: Warning over tax powers

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-warning-over-tax-powers-1-3563571

"far from meaning a larger net financial transfer from London to Edinburgh, the effect is likely to be some very awkward tax and spending decisions for the new Scottish government elected in May 2016. More powers could mean more pain, or be careful what you wish for"

Edited by exile

Apparently any money raised from new tax powers will be taken off the amount given to us in the block grant. So. We will just be the same then? How is that an extra power?

It is becoming a fkn joke......

It amazes me that anyone thought that this was actually a selling point for a No vote. More powers means we get more cuts to our budget than they were planning already meaning we will either have to increase taxes to fill that hole or cut public services. Ooohh... well what a bonus.

Those who voted no on the pretence of these extra powers are in for a shock so is broon when the tories stab him and his red tory neebors in the back.My father in law on the other hand voted no because he hates salmond and the snp for whatever reason.He is in for a shock aswell when i show him my snp membership card when it arrives.He will blow a gasket whilst banning me and my dog from visiting on a saturday morning for a coffee and biscuits for hound. :-)):-)):-))

Apparently any money raised from new tax powers will be taken off the amount given to us in the block grant. So. We will just be the same then? How is that an extra power?

It is becoming a fkn joke......

Not sure it will be the same. Is it not a case that currently we hand over all our wages to London and then they give us some pocket money back. Now it looks like we will still hand all our wages over to London. However they have said it is OK for us to take a wee part time job and we can keep our wages from that but they are still going to take all our wages from our main job and cut our pocket money as we now have that wee part time job.

Suppose we do have that new railway to pay for so we really shouldn't complain.

I haven't fully looked into it, but at first glance it's a shite decision and I doubt my stance will change when I look over the details. If the Scottish Government had a desire for a fully public railway then an interim contract with First Group would surely have been more accessible?

I reckon we're seeing a glimpse of what Independence would have been like under an SNP government...

What is the basis of the Scottish Govt awarding the Scotrail contract to a Dutch based company at the expense of Aberdeen based First Group? Is it price alone?

Tender docs are publically available. Go have a look.

I haven't fully looked into it, but at first glance it's a shite decision and I doubt my stance will change when I look over the details. If the Scottish Government had a desire for a fully public railway then an interim contract with First Group would surely have been more accessible?

I reckon we're seeing a glimpse of what Independence would have been like under an SNP government...

Transport Scotland is limited in what it can do about the terms of the tender.