Scottish Election Calculator - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Election Calculator

This was the full vote in 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/region/7.stm

63.8% turnout was quite high

Actually agree with Eddard in that it will be difficult to actually stop Labour getting a lot of seats - but not impossible.

It's likely the Lib Dems will be wiped out so it will be between Labour,& SNP with most of the 45% voting SNP. The Tory vote will likely be the same

Labour got over a million votes so not hard to see what needs to happen

Labour are laying the ground for the GE 2015. 50% tax rate is a key difference. However I think Labour are restricted in what they can do in terms of not carrying on with cuts. £75bn is a pretty big deficit. They are on about mansion taxes so these are pretty popular policies amongst their core support. Also an £8.50 minimum wage is another core labour vote winner.

If you plug in the 2011 Holyrood percentages it makes quite a big difference

True but (from the SNP website yesterday) the latest Westminster voting intentions poll shows Labour at 39%, SNP 35%, Tories 18% and LibDems on 3%.

This bumps the SNP up to 14 seats (mainly at the expense of the Lib Dems). Labour would only lose 1 seat.

The Tories would get 3 seats, so we'll need twin baby pandas pronto...

True but (from the SNP website yesterday) the latest Westminster voting intentions poll shows Labour at 39%, SNP 35%, Tories 18% and LibDems on 3%.

This bumps the SNP up to 14 seats (mainly at the expense of the Lib Dems). Labour would only lose 1 seat.

The Tories would get 3 seats, so we'll need twin baby pandas pronto...

Aye, I think SNP need to get over the 40% mark to make a significant difference. I have been thinking for a while now that SNP could maybe rebrand themselves. Maybe they could become something like the Independence Party of Scotland and try to include all the other parties who support independence. I think that the new "party" should have a firm undertaking to disband within 5 years of independence back into their constituent parts. Not sure if it would work in practise though but this would be the ideal time to consider it.

Mind you, if the Tories give us DevoMax all that might just be a waste of time.