Signed Up To The Cause? - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Signed Up To The Cause?

Can't decide between the Greens and SNP. Hugely impressed by Harvie but struggling to accept their stance of leaving every last drop of oil in the ground. Think they are too idealistic. Not sure why Im reluctant to opt for SNP.

I joined both....that way i can have a say in both parties hopefully.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, welcome to the SNP.

I wanted to drop you a very quick update to confirm that we've received your application safely.

In the last six days, the SNP's membership has doubled to nearly 60,000.

We have a huge mountain of applications to process - and around eight further applications are still being received every minute.

So please bear with us we get on top of the unprecedented demand.

If you've applied to pay your membership by direct debit, you'll receive a confirmation email as soon as we process your application.

Regardless I'll email you again shortly to confirm when you'll be receiving your membership card and welcome pack.

We're always looking for volunteers, no matter how much or how little time you've to spare. Our welcome pack is packed with ideas and opportunities for everyone to get involved locally and nationally.

For now though, please be assured that we have your application and all is in hand.

Thank you for joining and being part of something very special.

Got the same thing sent to me, and I applied on Sunday, seems those who are paying with Credit Cards are being processed quicker, feels good to be part of the good cause!

It is still just a small %age of the electorate, and will be the most active politically activated people. Doesn't mean it will transfer to a victory at the polls. Very impressive figures though.

it doesnt but dont forget the monetary kick start the SNP will get from the donations too.

I'd also say that looking at social media it feels like the pro-Yes parties will romp it in the general election, but then we started thinking that on the referendum. Work needs to be done to show Labour up for being Red Tories in terms of policy and personal benefits from the Westminster gravy train. For example, they dreamt up the bedroom tax, they saddled health boards with billions of pounds of PFI debt, they support Trident, they continued the Tory privatisation agenda whilst obtaining director positions for companies that have benefitted etc.

When you think of the likely media focus and non-social media voters, I still think Labour will win a lot of seats in Scotland, amidst some painful losses to laugh at. The numbers are depressing and crazy at the last election and you'd think Lib Dem votes will go to Labour before the SNP. Look at Edinburgh seats. Will the SNP win those? Aberdeen? Linlithgow? East Lothian?

When you think of the likely media focus and non-social media voters, I still think Labour will win a lot of seats in Scotland, amidst some painful losses to laugh at. The numbers are depressing and crazy at the last election and you'd think Lib Dem votes will go to Labour before the SNP. Look at Edinburgh seats. Will the SNP win those? Aberdeen? Linlithgow? East Lothian?

The 2010 election was really seen as the last chance to keep the Tories out, coupled with patriotic support for Gordon Brown (many up here didn't like the kicking he got from the English press) the Labour vote was enormous.

2015 may be different, there is widespread disillusionment with Labour and Westminter in general. Many Yes voters may return to Labour but possibly not to the same extent as 4 years ago. I think that's why it will be key to ally the pro independence parties for this vote and convert the new found interest in politics into increased activism on the streets...

I'd also say that looking at social media it feels like the pro-Yes parties will romp it in the general election, but then we started thinking that on the referendum. Work needs to be done to show Labour up for being Red Tories in terms of policy and personal benefits from the Westminster gravy train. For example, they dreamt up the bedroom tax, they saddled health boards with billions of pounds of PFI debt, they support Trident, they continued the Tory privatisation agenda whilst obtaining director positions for companies that have benefitted etc.

One of the interesting points of the referendum was that it confirmed that the 'middle ground' in Scottish politics is everything.....the Yes campaign lost in part because it never, ever managed to hold the middle ground. The media and the No campaign often succeeded in painting the drive for independence as simply a group of extremists trying to radicalise the rest of the Scottish population....that instantly puts a lot of people off. The No campaign, for right or for wrong, was portayed as the 'normal'....they had the middle ground.

There's a lesson there to be learned.

In the last 7 years in Scotland, the SNP have held the middle ground when it comes to Scottish government, and it's vital they continue to hold that position. It's great that so many have joined in the last week, but if the SNP start to be portayed as attracting the disaffected and extremists, or have an image as 'the party of protest', or start to look like they're instantly fighting the referendum all over again, they they'll lose a lot of support from the 'silent majority' (and I make no apologies for using that phrase) who have voted for them in the last couple of elections.

This is a vital point in Scotland, and the SNP's, history. They must make sure that they have cool, calm, responsible heads, and that they tackle the issue of more devolution with the whole of Scotland in mind, not just the wishes of a passionate 50,000.

It's the middle ground that's vital. I trust Nicola Sturgeon to make sure that come the next elections, it's the SNP who have grabbed it.

Edited by Rossy

One of the interesting points of the referendum was that it confirmed that the 'middle ground' in Scottish politics is everything.....the Yes campaign lost in part because it never, ever managed to hold the middle ground. The media and the No campaign often succeeded in painting the drive for independence as simply a group of extremists trying to radicalise the rest of the Scottish population....that instantly puts a lot of people off. The No campaign, for right or for wrong, was portayed as the 'normal'....they had the middle ground.

There's a lesson there to be learned.

In the last 7 years in Scotland, the SNP have held the middle ground when it comes to Scottish government, and it's vital they continue to hold that position. It's great that so many have joined in the last week, but if the SNP start to be portayed as attracting the disaffected and extremists, or have an image as 'the party of protest', or start to look like they're instantly fighting the referendum all over again, they they'll lose a lot of support from the 'silent majority' (and I make no apologies for using that phrase) who have voted for them in the last couple of elections.

This is a vital point in Scotland, and the SNP's, history. They must make sure that they have cool, calm, responsible heads, and that they tackle the issue of more devolution with the whole of Scotland in mind, not just the wishes of a passionate 50,000.

It's the middle ground that's vital. I trust Nicola Sturgeon to make sure that come the next elections, it's the SNP who have grabbed it.

Quite right rossy. If anyone from the SNP is asked about another referendum then they should simply reply "that is a decision for the people of Scotland. If the people of Scotland decide that they want another referendum we will offer them one."

Good post Rossy.

One of the things labour has been good at is lying (the SNP will close catholic schools, the SNP will ban Orange marches, you'll lose your pension with independence, poles will be deported) so the SNP may as well get its own grassroots lying too. Many of the new SNP members will be former labour members. They could be used to spread fear and panic about Labour amongst the uninformed and gullible. ;)

Some people might say this referendum has caused division but clearly the divisions were always there...it just revealed them clearly for the first time.

On the Yes side it has been an exhilarating and unifying force. Look at our ranks versus theirs. I know where I want to be.

With this amount of members, the SNP are going to have to think of a new way of doing activism. I guess most of the new folk aren't going to turn up to local party meetings and chap lots of doors, but they need to be kept engaged and active. That might mean a beefed up, interactive online presence. Alternatively it might mean funding a few yes cafes (venues like Labour clubs are out of date). Ideally, the ideas will come from the new members themselves.