What i wouldnt give for the team of 06/07 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What i wouldnt give for the team of 06/07

bonny78

Ultimately failed but loved that campaign ????

Got stuck in bout the wee teams like Lithuania and ney bother v the faro boglands.. Easy easy.  Last min screamer v georgia at home.. And beat the frogs twice ????.   Fkin yes.  Had stronger erections back in those days and awe..  NOW....doom and gloom p1sh on the park. Gutted.

miss those days.......some great goals. 

faddy vs lithuania, france, ukraine....mcculloch vs ukraine....last minute winner by beattie.....would have qualified from any other group

The Georgia home game from that campaign gets pretty much forgotten about but that was a hell of a finish to that one as well.

Took an early lead through Boyd then Arveladze equalised for them. Beattie came on as a late sub and scored at the death. Hampden was rocking.

My favourite period following Scotland, which I suspect would be the case for most folk around my age.

14 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

My favourite period too Reevesy, and I'll be a lot older.

We were spoiled before then as I was always so bitterly disappointed with the finals in the end.   Oh to think on that now :lol:

Absolutely:lol:

Would take another Morocco type defeat in a heartbeat if it meant we could just get there for once. Had always hoped we'd get to a tournament again while I was still fairly young but not looking likely. Think now I would probably bite your hand off if you offered me qualification while my grandkids were still fairly young!

We've got Burke, Fraser, Armstrong, Aitchsion, Gilmour, Phillips, Macleod, Tierney, Middleton, Burt, Kiltie, McCart - some established, some on the horizon and there are plenty more. Why all the pessimism?

That period was ok and we had 3 or 4 good players (e.g. Ferguson, McFadden, Weir mainly) but hardly a period to get all misty eyed. Maybe you guys are too young to believe it's possible to have a good team. I can remember having a few cans outside Hampden pondering our front three of Dalglish, Johnston and Cooper. I'm optimistic there are similar days ahead. The u17s won 6-1 last night - chin up!

The Post Office actually made drafts of stamps for Scotland winning the World Cup in 78. As per normal it didn't quite happen but that was a good team, as was 74.  I'm not old enough to remember the 60s but we all know what happened down at Wembley in 67.  I hope that we will come again but things have moved on, its now a more global game though that doesn't explain why we have done poorly in comparison with other European teams. My father always said the best team he ever saw were the Magical Magyars who took England to the cleaners in 53 - they've been out in the wilderness longer than us - always someone in a worse position!

17 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

The Post Office actually made drafts of stamps for Scotland winning the World Cup in 78. As per normal it didn't quite happen but that was a good team, as was 74.  I'm not old enough to remember the 60s but we all know what happened down at Wembley in 67.  I hope that we will come again but things have moved on, its now a more global game though that doesn't explain why we have done poorly in comparison with other European teams. My father always said the best team he ever saw were the Magical Magyars who took England to the cleaners in 53 - they've been out in the wilderness longer than us - always someone in a worse position!

they qualified for the last euros

no one I can think has been out in the cold longer than us

Just now, Bino's said:

they qualified for the last euros

no one I can think has been out in the cold longer than us

True but Hungry did spend a long time in the football desert.  They were number one in the world, we never got that far.  Still them qualifying gives me a modicum of hope.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

True but Hungry did spend a long time in the football desert.  They were number one in the world, we never got that far.  Still them qualifying gives me a modicum of hope.

they qualified as their manager did something drastically different

the 21 year old attacking midfielder who name escapes me

was serving a several months ban for something and ostracized by old manager

he decided to base team round and worked

14 hours ago, Reevesy said:

The Georgia home game from that campaign gets pretty much forgotten about but that was a hell of a finish to that one as well.

Took an early lead through Boyd then Arveladze equalised for them. Beattie came on as a late sub and scored at the death. Hampden was rocking.

My favourite period following Scotland, which I suspect would be the case for most folk around my age.

This.