Whatever happened to the Hogmanay Bloodbath? - Page 5 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Whatever happened to the Hogmanay Bloodbath?

10 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

There is an odd antipathy swilling around that, I believe, results in some posters blindly reaching conclusions that don't follow the narrative; particularly prevalent when it comes to Rangers and Celtic related threads. I don't see anyone on here congratulating others and I think it would be wrong to say that trouble was not predicted so, on that basis, the thread has some merit albeit it could have been stated somewhat less sneeringly. Personally, I didn't experience any trouble at the game and nor did I experience any in my 'mixed' local pub after the game (which didn't feel the need to shut early, as some others apparently did). Entirely as it should be, albeit the police presence was notably larger than usual, which perhaps partly explains why ticket prices are so much greater for these games than others.

I reckon the authorities have inadvertently stumbled upon a decent date for an OF game, in hindsight. Priorities are elsewhere for many who have families or evening plans and therefore the game went by relatively quietly.

You don't see anyone congratulating others but equally i didn't see a bloodbath predicted by the "TA masses" - unless your definition of masses is different to mine. So on that basis I don't think the thread does have merit, and led to some of the equally sneering replies mocking the FP. But then if you start something...

Entirely as it should be - agreed as per my second post.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

is anyone aware of any other games in world football that have to be played at midday, due to past supporter violence

No, because I don't study other countries' league kick-off times like a pure weirdo.

As has been said before though, of the violence that does occur, it tends to be after the games have finished so arguably the kick-off time is a moot point.

I would, of course, remind you that Rangers and Celtic have even had the audacity to play matches in the evenings in the past, heaven forfend.

Edited by thewolf_1980

16 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

What's the second one?

My recollection of evening kick-offs tend to be reserved for Bert Konterman 35 yarders. ?

It was the guy that took a dive off the top deck in the same game.

Bert Konterman didn't score many goals, but remember him scoring a screamer against Motherwell at Hampden too, think it was in the 4-3 semi-final?

2 hours ago, Bino's said:

is anyone aware of any other games in world football that have to be played at midday, due to past supporter violence

There's actually loads. Many of which are "bubble matches" where the police only allow away fans to travel with a convoy and a lot of these leave hours earlier than they would normally

Cardiff/Swansea and Burnley v Blackburn are two of the top of my head. Leeds v Millwall is usually a 12pm kick off. Ajax v Feyenoord.

Don't know if you've ever been to an old firm match but there's rarely, if ever, any trouble at the grounds these days.

4 hours ago, ShedTA said:

deflection? Is this the new tamb favourite word or something. Wtf do you even mean by it? 

It was a genuine statement of concern and your reply means f@ck all to me really.

"Hipocrisy dripping from every word" ? What ? 

Deflection. Essentially you are avoiding answering the point being made. You don't normally do this hence my irritation. 

The hypocrisy is pretty clear. 

In the past you have not been so blind to obvious inaccuracies in your posts and have been a reasonable poster even when we don't agree (which is most of the time) but on this thread you are following the ridiculous argument of folk claiming there's some sort of celebration that nobody died. There isn't. 

Those of us who thought there was bound to be problems are quite happy to be wrong. 

12 hours ago, Bino's said:

They don't have to be played at midday, plenty, including one this season wasn't. The games are usually at lunchtime for TV. If they play each other in a cup final they are played at 3pm without fail. 

There's numerous games in England alone, nevermind worldwide that are played at lunchtime on the insistence of the polices. Leeds-Millwall, Cardiff-Leeds etc. 

In fact, for these jigh risk games away supporters have to meet at service stations outside the town/city the game is being played to collect tickets/get bused into the game. Hence why few Millwall fans etc travel to Elland Road. 

I'm all for Old Firm bashing, i do enough of it myself but let's keep it sensible. Unlike most other high profile derbies, there is rarely trouble at the games. It's the town/city pubs in the hours afterwards that are the problem. Kicking a game off at noon won't solve that. In fact, i think it makes it worse.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

10 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Deflection. Essentially you are avoiding answering the point being made. You don't normally do this hence my irritation. 

The hypocrisy is pretty clear. 

In the past you have not been so blind to obvious inaccuracies in your posts and have been a reasonable poster even when we don't agree (which is most of the time) but on this thread you are following the ridiculous argument of folk claiming there's some sort of celebration that nobody died. There isn't. 

Those of us who thought there was bound to be problems are quite happy to be wrong. 

still don't get it. what point was I avoiding answering?

sorry RB the rest is rubbish. The poster made a sneering attack on the "tamb masses" most of whom did not predict a "bloodbath" and do not see any reason for rejoicing because there wasn't one, since this should really be the norm. that's all.

16 hours ago, Bino's said:

Newcastle v Sunderland. I was at Newcastle v Sunderland games in the 80's with midday Sunday KO's at a time when Celtic v Rangers was nearly always played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

You do realise its partly played at lunchtime to suit TV schedules and that the recent League Cup semi-final was a 2.15pm KO? Don't let those facts get in the way of some vigorous hand-wringing however.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They don't have to be played at midday, plenty, including one this season wasn't. The games are usually at lunchtime for TV. If they play each other in a cup final they are played at 3pm without fail. 

There's numerous games in England alone, nevermind worldwide that are played at lunchtime on the insistence of the polices. Leeds-Millwall, Cardiff-Leeds etc. 

In fact, for these jigh risk games away supporters have to meet at service stations outside the town/city the game is being played to collect tickets/get bused into the game. Hence why few Millwall fans etc travel to Elland Road. 

I'm all for Old Firm bashing, i do enough of it myself but let's keep it sensible. Unlike most other high profile derbies, there is rarely trouble at the games. It's the town/city pubs in the hours afterwards that are the problem. Kicking a game off at noon won't solve that. In fact, i think it makes it worse.

While seeing what you mean,technically this game would be played in Wales :D

6 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Newcastle v Sunderland. I was at Newcastle v Sunderland games in the 80's with midday Sunday KO's at a time when Celtic v Rangers was nearly always played at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

You do realise its partly played at lunchtime to suit TV schedules and that the recent League Cup semi-final was a 2.15pm KO? Don't let those facts get in the way of some vigorous hand-wringing however.

right ok

so old firm games are not played earlier in the day at police insistence due to past fan violence

that's what your saying

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

right ok

so old firm games are not played earlier in the day at police insistence due to past fan violence

that's what your saying

Why wasn't the one in October played at lunchtime then?

Why have the police allowed midweek games in the not too distant past to be played?

Why would any cup final between the two be played at 3pm?

i think you'll find that TV has more influence over kick off times than the Police.

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

right ok

that's what your saying

The "fan violence" you refer to was 17 years ago and it was some idiot hitting the referee with a coin.

I know you want to believe these games are all out war on the terraces but it's not 1980 any more Biners 

before that day the games were played at all manner of times and fixture schedule could throw up a title decider

after that day at police insistence the vast majority of games are scheduled at midday and fixtures cooked so no title decider between the sides can ever occur

10 hours ago, Bino's said:

before that day the games were played at all manner of times and fixture schedule could throw up a title decider

after that day at police insistence the vast majority of games are scheduled at midday and fixtures cooked so no title decider between the sides can ever occur

Maybe not this season but with the split in place, title deciders can certainly still occur, in theory. All it would need would be a 15 point gap by the time of the first game after the split.

With the gap between Celtic and Rangers this season, even if there was no split a title could be decided on an old firm game.

I think you should quit now while you are already miles behind.

15 hours ago, Bino's said:

17 years ago TV had nowhere near the influence it has today.

Celtic played Rangers in a title decider a few years back. 

You are talking sh1te, give up when you are losing!