Broony is back! - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Broony is back!

dezmondo

With Celtic wrapping up the league within the next couple of weeks, Rogers can allow Brown to play a bit less frequently in the run in, so he won't need to use the "saving the legs" line when it comes to the England game.

On the contrary he should be in absolute prime condition and ready to tear into them by June.

As others are saying, it is probably all sorted already and this is just the usual guff paper talk.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as much as it is being portrayed as an easy decision, Brown will be well aware if he plays against England and in the Champins league qualifiers he could easily be righting off the whole season with the same problem he had last year. That said he should consider taking a month off now and doing pre-season before the England game.

Edited by er yir macaroon

I really hope this is paper talk otherwise it reflects really badly on Brown.

I mean the report attributes him as in a dilemma as the England game is in June and the Champions League campaign begins in July. Now if this is him saying it is one or the other then why?

As others have said the SPL title will be won in the next couple of weeks so once that is done then he can take a back seat and have almost two months rest. Get back into pre-season training and be ready for the England game. Simples.

If he is not willing to take that route and chooses to sit out the England game for Champions League qualifiers then he goes right down in my estimation. We were led to believe Brown's chief regret is not making a major tournament with Scotland well this is last chance saloon. Sure we have a minimal shout at getting to Russia but more a chance of that than Celtic going deep in the Champions League so surely the Scotland challenge should come first.

Opt out of the England game then that is it for me - he should not play for Scotland again.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As others have said the SPL title will be won in the next couple of weeks so once that is done then he can take a back seat and have almost two months rest. Get back into pre-season training and be ready for the England game. Simples.

If he is not willing to take that route and chooses to sit out the England game for Champions League qualifiers then he goes right down in my estimation. We were led to believe Brown's chief regret is not making a major tournament with Scotland well this is last chance saloon. Sure we have a minimal shout at getting to Russia but more a chance of that than Celtic going deep in the Champions League so surely the Scotland challenge should come first.

No offence but that's one pile of pish you have just posted there.

Do you really expect Brown to ask Brendan Rodgers for two months off so he can play in the England game? Or to prioritise a very slim chance of making the world cup with Scotland over helping Celtic (his employers) get into the champions league, which is worth millions to the club?

Nice romantic idea but you need a reality check I think.

Edited by Reevesy

At the end of the day this is a make or break game in a World Cup qualifier against the Auld Enemy at Hampden. If he can't commit to such a massive game then what was the point of returning to play for Scotland? In a pre-match item on Sky on Sunday night he said his biggest regret was not playing in a major tournament with Scotland. Well how badly does he really want it or was that all front and BS. Again I will say this is media talk but I'd prefer hearing a commitment or announcement from Brown to put an end to tittle tattle. Either he is in or out for England game.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Is it pish to expect him to be ready for England game in June? 

No but expecting him to put it ahead of getting into the champions league with his employers, if it has to be a choice, is just unrealistic.

You've already pointed out yourself that this could be media talk and I would agree. I really don't think Gordon Strachan doesn't know if he's going to play against England or not and is just waiting around for an answer.

One thing to consider is you can bet Celtic and Rodgers will be keen break all manner of records like going unbeaten for the whole season and getting the most points ever. I can't see the Scottish core being rested that much unfortunately.

I don't think Brown should be picking and choosing his games, and all the top players, particularly South Americans have the same sort of schedule with additional travelling.

Having said all that, where would Brown fit in this rest? Celtic have a cup semi v Rangers in April and will be hoping to have a final in May, England game in June and champions league qualifiers through July.

I've been as big a critic as anyone over the ongoing is he available or not panto, but to be fair, if his body can't take it, it is a bit of a problem for him, and while I don't always like how he conducts himself, we're a better team with him in it.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Having said all that, where would Brown fit in this rest? Celtic have a cup semi v Rangers in April and will be hoping to have a final in May, England game in June and champions league qualifiers through July.

There's 5 weeks between the semis and the final. Give him 3 weeks off then. Give him another 2 off after the England game. There's plenty solutions.

If he wants to be Scotland captain he should really be committing to it. 

Just now, Parklife said:

There's 5 weeks between the semis and the final. Give him 3 weeks off then. Give him another 2 off after the England game. There's plenty solutions.

If he wants to be Scotland captain he should really be committing to it. 

Celtic will play Rangers in the league between those 2 games, and there's no way they will be resting anyone for that, as getting one over on each other is the most important thing.

Completely agree though, being given the opportunity to captain Scotland should be the easiest decision in the world to make, whether it's against Malta or England.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Celtic will play Rangers in the league between those 2 games, and there's no way they will be resting anyone for that, as getting one over on each other is the most important thing.

Completely agree though, being given the opportunity to captain Scotland should be the easiest decision in the world to make, whether it's against Malta or England.

If by "getting one over one another" you mean that his employers will want him available for them rather than have him sitting in the stand to benefit Scotland, then you're correct.

Just now, Reevesy said:

If by "getting one over one another" you mean that his employers will want him available for them rather than have him sitting in the stand to benefit Scotland, then you're correct.

If Brown needs as much rest as everyone is suggesting, it benefits Celtic more than it benefits Scotland. 

Just now, Parklife said:

If Brown needs as much rest as everyone is suggesting, it benefits Celtic more than it benefits Scotland. 

To have their captain miss out on a derby match? 

Just now, sbcmfc said:

When the league is already won...

It's still a derby which matters a lot to the fans, and a chance at going a season unbeaten, which is even more important.

You seem disappointed that Celtic putting out their strongest team, even after the league is won, would be more important to them than resting players for a Scotland v England game :lol:

Celtic's responsibility is to their manager and fans, not the SFA

4 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

Celtic's responsibility is to their 

Shareholders. :ok:

Agree with you, Brendan Rodgers owes the Scottish national team nothing, but if he's wanting a rest, but also wanting to play for his country and be ready to go in July, something had to give...

Edited by sbcmfc

20 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

To have their captain miss out on a derby match? 

If it means him being fully rested for a really important game in the Champions League in late June/Early July and subsequently for the rest of next season, i'd say that's to their benefit. 

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Jeez Scottish football has fallen a great deal if Celtic can't do without Brown for a Champions League qualifier likely in July to be against a team from Wales or Azerbaijan.

It's not a case of "can't do without" but more a case of "why should they?"

Just now, Reevesy said:

It's not a case of "can't do without" but more a case of "why should they?"

Yes of course I see what you are saying and am not disputing that. I am disputing his commitment to Scotland should he turn his back on a clash against the Auld Enemy at Hampden in a must-win match in a week when he claims not making a major tournament is the biggest regret of his career. Well he has the chance (slim though it is) to help make that dream perhaps a reality but if he passes it up then that should be him finished as a Scotland player. I only want men fully committed to the cause.