a decent result on Tuesday and...... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

a decent result on Tuesday and......

wanday

It's not about the fact that we've had a poor result though. The result happened because we're not playing well and haven't done so for quite some time. There's nothing in our recent form to suggest that we're capable of going on a run of form that'll get us enough wins to qualify. 

I appreciate that folk want to try and look on the bright side, that's only natural but it's just nor realistic IMO. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We wont be winning anything tomorrow

We are the perfect opposition for teams needing a boost to their confidence

Hamsik will run the show and we will be horsed

Strachan will walk on Wednesday

56 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

So twice in ten years, and one was a dead rubber.

That was a good performance though, I'd forgotten about that.

It wasn't a dead rubber for Croatia though.

Blind optimism / insanity here but....

When Strachan took over he lost his first 2 games and looked shellshocked, as if he hadn't realised what he'd let himself in for. Then out of nowhere in the next game we went away to the top seeds in the group and won. Anything is possible. We nned to show a bit of the grit we showed in the 2 games against Croatia in that group.

14 hours ago, JECK said:

A decent result on Tuesday and we're back on course for second. It's not like we didn't create chances last night, maybe luck levelling itself out from the Malta game. What's the worst that could happen? It's not like we're not use to not qualifying.Let's go again

Good post. Long way to go but finishing second will not appease the anti Strachan movement.  

15 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Slovakia would be pretty much out it if we win - falling seven points behind us would be too much to make up in a ten game group, IMO.

I think some people are forgetting only us and England have played Malta so far. So barring any shock results you can (fingers crossed for not but most probably) add 6 points onto everyone else (and then 3 to us and England). As it stands now:

1 England- 6

2 Scotland- 4

3 Slovenia-4

4 Lithuania- 2

5 Slovakia- 0

(Potential) points added from Malta games:

1. Slovenia - 10

2. England - 9

3. Lithuania - 8

4. Scotland - 7

5. Slovakia - 6

that leaves our race for 2nd place looking much tighter. 

Agreeing with other posts about thinking we'all get a result tomorrow night. From where? We can't beat a pot 5 team at home, but will beat a pot 2 on their turf? 

At least this campaign we knew from the start we weren't qualifying. We are a pot 3-4 team whether we like to admit it or not. 

12 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Aye, let's bin WGS and get Pep Guardiola. 

I don't think we need Pep Guardiola. I just think we need a manager who will organise us properly. On Saturday we were outplayed at times by a team ranked 117th in the world. We were cut open several times, sometimes as easily as a long goal kick and a flick on. 

I'm increasingly thinking about WGS attitude I used to think he was quite funny, not anymore arrogant wee sheeite. 

If he is like that with the players as he is with press he lose dressing room, something not right that's for sure

1 hour ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

I think some people are forgetting only us and England have played Malta so far. So barring any shock results you can (fingers crossed for not but most probably) add 6 points onto everyone else (and then 3 to us and England). As it stands now:

1 England- 6

2 Scotland- 4

3 Slovenia-4

4 Lithuania- 2

5 Slovakia- 0

(Potential) points added from Malta games:

1. Slovenia - 10

2. England - 9

3. Lithuania - 8

4. Scotland - 7

5. Slovakia - 6

that leaves our race for 2nd place looking much tighter. 

This doesn't work. By your second table Slovenia have 10 points from 4 games but you have only assumed 3 games for England/ scotland.

7 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

This doesn't work. By your second table Slovenia have 10 points from 4 games but you have only assumed 3 games for England/ scotland.

It was sort of in response to the "if we beat Slovakia we are 7 points ahead of them" thing- which will be true if we win, but given the fact that they still have to play Malta twice and we need to play England and Slovenia twice, at this early stage we cant rule out them catching us when they still have the bottom side to play and their easiest chance of points.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

I don't think we need Pep Guardiola. I just think we need a manager who will organise us properly. On Saturday we were outplayed at times by a team ranked 117th in the world. We were cut open several times, sometimes as easily as a long goal kick and a flick on. 

Agree that our defence is pretty poor and better teams to come. I don't take much notice of rankings. Unless we are above England of course.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Got a feeling I have asked this of you before and you may have answered that it was not for you to suggest (apologies if not you) but, if not Strachan, who do you suggest?

7 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Got a feeling I have asked this of you before and you may have answered that it was not for you to suggest (apologies if not you) but, if not Strachan, who do you suggest?

It is not for me, i don't know who would apply for the job. However, solely from people who have been or are within the Scottish game there's Alex McLeish, Tommy Wright, Derek McInnes, even Paul Lambert. 

At this stage, i'd take pretty much anyone. Strachan is going full on Levein. From bizarre selections to his bemusing post match comments, the similarities are more and more striking with every game. 

1 minute ago, girvanTA said:

You could pick from Alex Neil, Graeme Souness, Gary McCallister, Paul Lambert, Steve Clarke, Brian Irvine but if Strachan walks or doesnt want to renew his contract then the sfa should crawl over broken glass and beg for Alex Ferguson

I wish McAllister was in the management team. I'd have Lambert. Cannot see Souness taking it. Media pundit. I used to think that SAF should offer his services for free given that he has done everything and probably does not need the money but probably in dreamland with that one. Would keep WGS over Irvine and possibly Clarke. Would shed no tears if McGhee left. Alex Neil mebbe but cannot see him ruining his future by doing it. Mcinnes will do it some time in future I think. 

I know he is not Scottish but if in the very unlikely event that Sean Dyche of Burnley wanted it I would not say no.  HOWEVER, WGS is in charge and whilst discussion and disagreement are healthy we should support the whole team and squad.