This Weekends Games - Page 159 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

C_O033wW0AA3qAF.jpg

That must be a few weeks old? They played Aston Villa on Sunday. Isn't Carrow Road Norwich's stadium? 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Explain to us who have no idea what this is?

Brighton scarves being sold in expectation of them winning the championship. Last min Villa equaliser put paid to that ??

On 5/7/2017 at 10:54 AM, Mox said:

I've never been an advocate of summer football, however, the difference in the weather yesterday makes a football stadium a great place to be on a Saturday afternoon.

It really does. I'd love to see summer football in Scotland.

Just now, Reevesy said:

It really does. I'd love to see summer football in Scotland.

Don't you think it would have an adverse effect on players signing for your team?

been said on here many times, summer football is a must if we are to have any chance of improving the game.

can't really see it having an affect on what players want to move to Scottish clubs, but that's not really the point anyway.

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Don't you think it would have an adverse effect on players signing for your team?

Never really thought about that before to be honest with you. It could work the other way too I suppose, if you're going to play in Scotland then probably better doing it during the summer months and going abroad during the winter to avoid the really terrible weather

2 minutes ago, Boynze said:

been said on here many times, summer football is a must if we are to have any chance of improving the game.

can't really see it having an affect on what players want to move to Scottish clubs, but that's not really the point anyway.

It would have an effect on players coming here because it's outside the traditional season. 

If you take a step back you will see there's only really one or two months of the year where we don't play anymore. My team will finish on the last weekend of may and be playing again at the end of June thanks to European football. 

The problem with summer football here is when to start and when to finish, we could have storms or adverse weather anytime between October and April, it was snowing just a matter of weeks ago.

going for summer football so a few fans can enjoy a potential game in the sun is lunacy 

Guest BlueGaz
9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It would have an effect on players coming here because it's outside the traditional season. 

If you take a step back you will see there's only really one or two months of the year where we don't play anymore. My team will finish on the last weekend of may and be playing again at the end of June thanks to European football. 

The problem with summer football here is when to start and when to finish, we could have storms or adverse weather anytime between October and April, it was snowing just a matter of weeks ago.

going for summer football so a few fans can enjoy a potential game in the sun is lunacy 

Is end of June still the case as Celtic have qualified for CL, and you are in the cup final?

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

That's not why we should switch to summer football... 

Traditionally our worst weather is in January and February. The parks are cow fields, the weather is shocking and we normally get terrible games is horrible conditions for spectators. 

To me, it seems lunacy to play football in adverse weather conditions, while not playing at the times of the year when the weather is actually pretty good. We'd benefit from better surfaces, meaning more player development and more high quality games, watched by folk who don't need to dress like Scott of the Antarctic. 

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Is end of June still the case as Celtic have qualified for CL, and you are in the cup final?

Depends who wins the Europa League and where they finish in their domestic league. 

- Man Utd win EL and finish 4th or lower - we start in Q2. If they finish 3rd or higher it's Q1

- Celta win EL - we'll start in Q1

- Ajax win EL - If they finish 2nd in their league we'll start in Q2. If they win their league we'll be in Q1. 

Clearly you need to decide when to start and

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

yes but the domestic season is shorter and playing through summer would take account of june starts to European competition (which for celtic aside are a waste of time).

summer football has so many layered benefits I'm surprised anyone would have any objections.

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Depends who wins the Europa League and where they finish in their domestic league. 

- Man Utd win EL and finish 4th or lower - we start in Q2. If they finish 3rd or higher it's Q1

- Celta win EL - we'll start in Q1

- Ajax win EL - If they finish 2nd in their league we'll start in Q2. If they win their league we'll be in Q1. 

I always thought each competition gave you a fixed place, didn't realise it could be so complicated.  Is that because you have qualified via 2 routes?  

5 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I always thought each competition gave you a fixed place, didn't realise it could be so complicated.  Is that because you have qualified via 2 routes?  

Honestly, i don't have the scoobiest why it's occurred.

I'm just relying on folk who've been talking about it on twitter and in the press as having done their research correctly :lol: 

Guest BlueGaz

Honestly, i don't have the scoobiest why it's occurred.

I'm just relying on folk who've been talking about it on twitter and in the press as having done their research correctly :lol: 

Ladbrokes Premiership champions (celtic)
Champions League qualifying round 2
Ties on July 12/13 & 19/20

Scottish Cup winners (aberdeen)
Europa League qualifying round 2
Ties on July 14 & 21

Ladbrokes Premiership runners-up (rangers)
Europa League qualifying round 1
Ties on June 30 & July 7

Ladbrokes Premiership third place (st j)
Ties on June 30 & July 7

I would have thought you warranted the higher position, hence St J taking one of the others.  

Edited by BlueGaz

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Ladbrokes Premiership champions
Champions League qualifying round 2
Ties on July 12/13 & 19/20

Scottish Cup winners
Europa League qualifying round 2
Ties on July 14 & 21

Ladbrokes Premiership runners-up
Ties on June 30 & July 7

Ladbrokes Premiership third place
Ties on June 30 & July 7

I would have thought you warranted the higher position, hence St J taking one of the others.  

Where you getting that from? Is that last seasons? I think Scotland slipped slightly and all 3 Europa League entrants were scheduled to start on Q1 this year. 

Guest BlueGaz

Where you getting that from? Is that last seasons? I think Scotland slipped slightly and all 3 Europa League entrants were scheduled to start on Q1 this year. 

European places for 2016/17

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/european-places-for-201617/

Not sure if it has changed, wouldn't surprise me.

Edit:  you're right, last years.  posted in april last year.

Edited by BlueGaz

Guest BlueGaz

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2017/18 will be as follows:

Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)
Dates: July 11/12 & July 18/19

Dates: June 29 & July 6

Scottish Cup winners

5 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2017/18 will be as follows:

Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)
Dates: July 11/12 & July 18/19

Scottish Cup winners

Yeah but we will get Q2 if one of the scenarios i said above comes to fruition. 

22 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That's not why we should switch to summer football... 

Traditionally our worst weather is in January and February. The parks are cow fields, the weather is shocking and we normally get terrible games is horrible conditions for spectators. 

To me, it seems lunacy to play football in adverse weather conditions, while not playing at the times of the year when the weather is actually pretty good. We'd benefit from better surfaces, meaning more player development and more high quality games, watched by folk who don't need to dress like Scott of the Antarctic. 

We've now got a january break which leaves only one month to contend with, also lets not be over dramatic here by saying the weather is shocking, its unpredictable yes but hardly shocking and its not every single match. Some of the winter nights/afternoons are calm, maybe cold but not "shocking".

21 minutes ago, Boynze said:

Clearly you need to decide when to start and

yes but the domestic season is shorter and playing through summer would take account of june starts to European competition (which for celtic aside are a waste of time).

summer football has so many layered benefits I'm surprised anyone would have any objections.

you're surprised at objections? I've just given you a pretty good one regarding the signing of players. 

Have there been any examples of leagues changing to summer football where it has enhanced the league. If so I'm all for it.