National Anthem - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

National Anthem

Stella Artois 1366

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one chance we've had to "be a nation again" and we shat it. No thanks.

As a nation, maybe we did, but it is up to us as the 45% that voted yes to convince the 55% that we will be a nation again! The next time we will independent.... of that I am convinced! Stop bleating and continue converting!

Edited by WeLuvIrnBru

The one chance we've had to "be a nation again" and we shat it. No thanks.

And I'll say again - do you honestly think 100% of England fans love the queen? I'd hazard a guess a lot would prefer to be rid of her but they will still sing GSTQ. Same with other nations. Fine - I get your upset with the referendum result (plenty of us are) but why did you sing the anthem in the 1990s when Independence wasn't even a remote possibility?

Because we never had a chance to vote on it in the '90's. I'm sorry, but I just can't get your point about Betty Windsor.

Say they had a referendum on the Royal family and it went the Republican way - would they still sing gstq?

They never voted for it in the 90s because it was so far off - much further out of reach that it is even today a few days after the referendum - that is my point. And yes I say they would still sing GSTQ as it is a means of supporting the team not the queen. I mean I bet there are loads in the Tartan Army that despise the film Sound of Music but join in with all choruses of Doe-a-Deer. And likewise with many other songs we sing - we do it in support of our team and the players who do say it is a big boost so what exactly are you hoping to achieve by not singing Flower Of Scotland - unless you have given up on Independence forever.

...but you couldnae save a Queen if you never had one! Likewise, you can't sing for a country which isn't a (real) country.

But we are a real country.we went into a partnership of mutual interest.the trouble is we have not been treated as equal partners for a long time.

Edited by allyc

You are totally missing the point though.

I have pointed out many instances where fans sing songs with words or even songs they wouldn't be enamoured with but they do it to support their team. That is why we go to matches - to support the team. The national anthems help get players motivated and so not to sing it because one is having a hissy fit could have a detrimental effect on the team (small but a negative effect all the same). I am sure nobody here wants that.

In any case if you voted yes then you have even more reason to sing Flower of Scotland. And if I were to look at it a different way putting more emphasis on the lyrics then surely we would have to have binned it if a yes vote was the result as lyrics speak of rising to be a nation again' in future tense so song would then have been irrelelvant. I must add I disagree on it and say yes or no it is still Scotland's anthem and should be bellowed out next month.

Even the few georgians that are there will be pissing themselves at the scotland fans singing it.

Not as many as would be hysterical or happy if we weren't to sing it.

Question:- Why were we singing the anthem when opinion poll two years ago had yes vote at 20% (and remember polls are pretty accurate to a percent or two)?

A few random thoughts and facts.

I voted ‘Yes'. (I no longer live in Warrington.)

I tend to stay in the pub as long as possible before games so generally miss the National Anthems.

I sing FoS if I’m there but I’ve never been over keen on the lyrics. I think a National Anthem should be about the values of the country and not about events from hundreds of years ago.

When I attend events where ‘God save the Queen’ is sung, I refrain. It would be hypocritical to ask God to save someone I care little about.

Anyone who thinks the Tartan Army message Board is representative of the Tartan Army needs to rethink. Count the TAMB posters. Count the SSC members and active supporters.

Like all sensible people, I was appalled at the behaviour of some unionists in George Square on Friday evening. A friend commented that there are probably a significant number of intolerant idiots/bigots on the ‘Yes’ side. On reading this thread, I have to agree. If the cap fits……..

Different situation now. We hadn't voted on it then. We have chosen not to be a nation now.

So what are we never going to try and be independent ever again? One No vote and we all suddenly don't feel Scottish and never want to be a Country (As the UK is considered a country that is made up of 4 nations). Absolute JOKE! Scotland will have another vote in 15-20 years.

Instead of having such a deafest attitude, we should look on it as 2 years ago only 20% wanted independence now it's at 45% with a large portion only voting No for financial security... Imagine what that percentage could be in 10-15 years.

So what are we never going to try and be independent ever again? One No vote and we all suddenly don't feel Scottish and never want to be a Country (As the UK is considered a country that is made up of 4 nations). Absolute JOKE! Scotland will have another vote in 15-20 years.

Instead of having such a deafest attitude, we should look on it as 2 years ago only 20% wanted independence now it's at 45% with a large portion only voting No for financial security... Imagine what that percentage could be in 10-15 years.

was that not realistically our only crack at it

the more time passes the more insurmountable the oil running out fables get

was that not realistically our only crack at it

the more time passes the more insurmountable the oil running out fables get

If anything in 20-30 years we would have more access to the oil as the techniques improve which could gives us more financially viable sites... especially on the west coast of Scotland, where a lot of refineries are barred from extracting due to trident

Spot on Blantyre. If the referendum had taken place two years ago the vote for yes was 20% so why sing Flower of Scotland two years ago?

Besides if you are really, truly for Independence then why would you stop singing it now? I would say it should be sung now with far more belief as it is nearer than it ever has been in this old 's lifetime.

That is not what I was saying at all if you read my posts!

In my opinion its up to the individual if you want to sing Flower of Scotland or not.

Not to ram it down somebody throat either way.

Its a personal choice for many reasons you may sing or not.

I truly see the reasons for both arguments here.

Can also see that a muted response will be bad for the side against our next opponents.

Sadly the genie is out of the bottle and feelings are running high and I cant see things going back to the way they were before.

I for one will NOT be signing Flower of Scotland but would not blame anybody for belting it out its a personal thing imo.

That is not what I was saying at all if you read my posts!

You are talking about not singing our national anthem due to 55% of our populous voting no, when you consider 2/3 years ago many thought it would be 65-80% would vote no that is quite an astonishing turn around. So rather than trying to galvanise our nation and say we will be a nation again. Many on here would rather we changed the anthem, which to me and most neutrals is basically like waving the white flag and saying we give up, instead we should be trying to bring more people to the yes camp by saying while we lost this one by small margin we will unite, continue to grow and we will be independent!

Taking away a powerful anthem like FOS sends the wrong message, if anything due to the turn around in people wanting independence, it should be even more poignant and profound.

I saw The Corries sing Flower of Scotland in a half filled Albert Hall early 70's , I was a serving soldier and I knew that this song was special to me and always will be , something that gstq was not although during 30 years in the Army during many ceremonial functions , gstq and toasts to HM were raised , I mimed , saved me being on charges , Flower of Scotland has and will always be my Anthem , whether you sing it , is a personal choice , we have so many other anthems , called folk tunes we could use , we are a talented nation , I will belt out Flower Of Scotland at Ibrox