Crossrail 2 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Alan said:

When I travel the transportation system is a big factor in my impression of the place. Central Scotland is linked well but the frequency and speed of services is lagging. The changes being made were "rolled" back from original plans. Won't be enough to make people move from cars.

The fact that the last train between our two biggest cities is at 11:30pm is utterly pathetic. 

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

By the way, if trains are your thing (and since it's you, I have no reason to believe otherwise ;-) ) and you are in Yorkshire, I recommend a visit to the National Railway Museum in York.  You'll be in your element.  :)

The kids are already super excited for it!  Well, they're not, but by Corbyn they will be!

4 hours ago, Scunnered said:

I love trains.  I wanted to be a train driver when I was a lad.  I play Train Simulator :D.  I regularly visit railways...  Hell I'm going to Yorkshire in the summer and have a whole rail itinerary planned out!

Got your anorak and note book ready? :rollsmile:

Enjoy.

8 hours ago, Alan said:

Nope

HM Treasury Funding Statement for 15-16 shows both Crossrail and HS2 qualify for 100% Barnett consequentials so every £1 spent then Barnett gets roughly 10p extra for the Scottish Government to spend as it wishes. If you were to compare transport upgrades Crossrail is a brilliant idea and will deliver real change. The Edinburgh Glasgow investment was downgraded so journey times are only going to be about 12 mins shorter which is really disappointing as I travel every day. Glasgow and Edinburgh should be classed as 1 economic hub to attract and promote business and cooperation.

I was always under the impression that HS2 was classed as a 'national' infrastructure build so therefore not open to Barnett consequences.

I also believe that the further your'e away from HS2 your local economy will be worse off. Aberdeen is reported as missing out to the tune of £220 million.

http://stv.tv/news/north/244438-aberdeen-could-lose-220-million-from-economy-because-of-hs2/

8 hours ago, Alan said:

Can't wait to go down and try it out. Bonus already is Heathrow Express note offering cheap advance fares due to upcoming competition.

aaid - post a review when it goes live please.

I can't wait until you go down either...:wave:

10 hours ago, Scunnered said:

"In summary, while Scotland has received a Barnett share of consequentials
from the Crossrail project, it is not possible to identify the specific
amount received."

That's just stupid.

Stupid incompetent or dishonest?

Maybe I should try that line with my tax......in summary I have received a salary for my labour this year but it is not possible to identify the specific amount received, sorry. 

So let me get this right , instead of building affordable homes for Nurses , ambulance drivers, Firemen, and other public servants they are going to build a railway which will only help the rich City Types get to London more quickly form their comfy suburban homes to make even more money ???   

On 15/03/2016 at 6:08 PM, hunchy said:

I just want to say how much I hate the London underground/rail system its just far too busy for me with too many folk who barge through you

Not keen on London per se , but the Underground is a nightmare  intense people with their iPhones / iPads stuck to their heads and their heads up their arses . ! But unless you want to get ripped off by you're cheery chappie  London taxi driver it's the only way to get anywhere. 

1 hour ago, MacTaz said:

So let me get this right , instead of building affordable homes for Nurses , ambulance drivers, Firemen, and other public servants they are going to build a railway which will only help the rich City Types get to London more quickly form their comfy suburban homes to make even more money ???   

How do you think Nurses, ambulance drivers, Firemen, other public servants and aaid get to work?

Transport infrastructure in the UK is generally absolutely shit compared with mainland Europe....due mainly to decades of government mismanagement, short-sightedness and unwillingness to invest.

That said, the Edinburgh - Glasgow train link compares favourably with other 'close city' transport links on the continent. A train every 15 minutes beats the Amsterdam - Rotterdam or Brussels - Antwerp routes for instance. 

A few less stops would be nice but if you think you can get from the centre of Glasgow to the centre of Edinburgh quicker by car then I'd say you were wrong.

Parkie is correct though. The 1950's timetabling that means there's barely a train out of our major cities after 23.00 is ridiculous.

I trust though that the Scottish taxpayer will get value for money from West Ham's new stadium next season.

17 hours ago, Alan said:

How do you think Nurses, ambulance drivers, Firemen, other public servants and aaid get to work?

17 hours ago, Alan said:

I would imagine they use overpriced public transport because they can't afford to live in the city itself.  It's batanlty obvious that this rail link is for the benefit of businesses not joe public. 

17 hours ago, Rossy said:

Not many on the HS2 from Birmingham to London I'd wager.

Precisely , it's for the benefit of big business. Stand by for a price hike in housing along the route. 

On 3/15/2016 at 4:41 PM, Parklife said:

The fact that the last train between our two biggest cities is at 11:30pm is utterly pathetic. 

Spot on. I can't speak for Edinburgh, but the transport in and around Glasgow is embarrassing. 

Edited by Mox

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Been in London today, train, underground and DLR, all with an Oyster card, great infrastructure compared to the rest of the country. 

Time to spread the wealth around a bit. 

The infrastructure in London is geared towards ensuring that those who use it, are able to do so quickly and easily. Ok, it gets really busy but it's a small price to pay. 

I stayed in London for 5 and a half years until last june when I moved back to Glasgow and it is the complete opposite. The infrastructure is so bad that it's actually geared towards those with cars, which is utterly ludicrous.

20 hours ago, Mox said:

Spot on. I can't speak for Edinburgh, but the transport in and around Glasgow is embarrassing. 

I've never had a problem with transport in Glasgow. There's a train every 20 mins or so from my local station takes about 50 mins into the city. In  a year of commuting it was late once. Buses go past my house at about the same frequency.  When my partner comes up from New Forest she thinks its great. We quite often travel through to Edinburgh and it's cheap as chips compared to say Southampton to London. An as for London underground ...nightmare !