Messi penalty - clever or disrespectful? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Messi penalty - clever or disrespectful?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Surely hes got more to lose by passing it and it not resulting in a goal than by missing a penalty under normal circumstances?

What would he lose in both situations? the chance to go 4-1 up would be the loss, in one situation it's his shot that fails, with a pass it's someone else's failure.

What is it you're thinking is the extra thing he would lose by passing it?

Yeah in some opta site maybe, you think after Messi passes the ball he's thinking damn i missed that pen? No he passed it.

just reading an article from last september, Messi is 78% from the penalty spot. Why is he taking them in the first place?

4 minutes ago, phart said:

Yeah in some opta site maybe, you think after Messi passes the ball he's thinking damn i missed that pen? No he passed it.

just reading an article from last september, Messi is 78% from the penalty spot. Why is he taking them in the first place?

Because he's Messi. 

4 minutes ago, phart said:

Actually surprised it's as high as that. I know Neymar has missed a couple recently. I could be wrong but from memory he tends to score the important ones.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

But Messi is a shit penalty taker so being Messi should mean he is not allowed near any penalties.

I don't disagree with you. I was just highlighting why he still gets to take them. 

8 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He's missed more than he should but calling him shit is harsh 

his percentage is 78%, top penalty takers make 95% of them. Missing one out of 4 penalties when you should be missing 1 out of 20 makes you shit. In the context of sporting excellence.

Parkie being messi isn't that great a reason though, as Messi is a bad taker, so being messi means being a bad taker of penalties, so why would that be the reason he takes them. Unless it's he's Messi and he wants to take them even though he is shit, but we can't gainsay him so he takes them.

I'll inform WADA HGH doesn't help with penalty ability. I wonder if he just chokes under the pressure. considering his technical skill level.

14 minutes ago, phart said:

his percentage is 78%, top penalty takers make 95% of them. Missing one out of 4 penalties when you should be missing 1 out of 20 makes you shit. In the context of sporting excellence.

Parkie being messi isn't that great a reason though, as Messi is a bad taker, so being messi means being a bad taker of penalties, so why would that be the reason he takes them. Unless it's he's Messi and he wants to take them even though he is shit, but we can't gainsay him so he takes them.

I'll inform WADA HGH doesn't help with penalty ability. I wonder if he just chokes under the pressure. considering his technical skill level.

Like I said earlier I'm sure he rarely misses the important ones, world cups, champions league and el Classico etc so I very much doubt he's chocking when he does miss. 

He'll never be remembered for even being a good penalty taker that's correct. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Like I said earlier I'm sure he rarely misses the important ones, world cups, champions league and el Classico etc so I very much doubt he's chocking when he does miss. 

He'll never be remembered for even being a good penalty taker that's correct. 

Just went and checked.

Missed three in the champions league,One against Chelsea in the semi-finals and they crashed out. One a missed 93rd minute one against Citeh Missed against Brazil and missed in a Spanish super/cup game.

Also he is getting worse as he's now missed something like 6 of the last 12 (correct sept 2015). Suggesting again a mental aspect to it. Also explains why he is passing penalties instead of hitting them.

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, phart said:

I wasn't saying it was a good reason or that it was right. I'm assuming that Messi wants to take them though and that Luis Enrique has told him that he can. 

I'd imagine that both Neymar and Suarez have better penalty records than him. 

25 minutes ago, phart said:

Just went and checked.

Missed three in the champions league,One against Chelsea in the semi-finals and they crashed out. One a missed 93rd minute one against Citeh Missed against Brazil and missed in a Spanish super/cup game.

Also he is getting worse as he's now missed something like 6 of the last 12 (correct sept 2015). Suggesting again a mental aspect to it. Also explains why he is passing penalties instead of hitting them.

Forgot about the Chelsea one. Without doubt a crucial penalty. And the man city one to a lesser extent. 

Not sure his relatively poor record is why he passed last night. Just let Suarez take the pen, like Neymar has (and missed) recently. He's also not did this before, and with Cruyff recently saying he's winning his battle against cancer makes me think this was a tribute to his pen in the 80's.  

Edited by ParisInAKilt

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He's also not did this before, and with Cruff recently saying he's winning his battle against cancer leads me to think this was a tribute to his pen in the 80's.  

Ah right and Surez forgot to pass it back to Messi like the Cruff penalty? That was a one-two pass was it not?