Top 5 Best Cities In The World - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Top 5 Best Cities In The World

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worldwide :

Cape Town

Washington DC

San Francisco

Charleston (South Carolina)

Vegas baby

San Diego

OK, that's 6, but it was hard to choose only 5...

I see where Donny's coming from with Cape Town. However...it's hard to disagree that it's the most scenically amazing city in the world (OK, I'll give you Rio), and the infrastructure and development has come on leaps and bounds from when I first visited. Anywhere in the world, it's hard to beat sitting at sunset in Camps Bay with a £3 cocktail watching the sun go down.

DC is a surprising city. You think it's the capital of the world and will reflect this, but it's actually quite small-town and is the most historically interesting city I've ever visited. Fascinating.

Europe :

Lisbon

Berlin

The Hague

Rome

Helsinki

UK :

Norwich

Bath

Bristol

Glasgow

Manchester

I didn't choose Edinburgh because it's a traffic-ridden disaster full of cheap, tacky tourist shite.

Edited by Rossy

Pleased to see Rome getting a few mentions, going there for the first time next month...

UK :

Norwich

Bath

Bristol

Glasgow

Manchester

I'd definitely put Bristol in my UK top 5 too. A great wee city.

I think I'd have to put Liverpool in mine though, but then again I'm a Beatles nut.

Also it's been a few years since I've been in Belfast but i was surprised by how much i enjoyed it there.

Edited by Toepoke

Pleased to see Rome getting a few mentions, going there for the first time next month...

I'd definitely put Bristol in my UK top 5 too. A great wee city.

I think I'd have to put Liverpool in mine though, but then again I'm a Beatles nut.

Also it's been a few years since I've been in Belfast but i was surprised by how much i enjoyed it there.

I take it you're going for the rugby ? Me an' aw... :wink2:

Rome makes my list because I can't think of any other major city where you literally trip over thousands of years worth of history at every turn. It's got plenty of downsides....tourists, rip-off restaurants, tacky shops etc etc....but the positives well outweigh the negatives. :ok:

I haven't been to Liverpool since the 80's...that's the 1980's, not the 1880's that it looked like Liverpool was stuck in. I'm sure it's improved vastly now though.

If nothing else this thread shows me how relatively poorly travelled I am. I've never been to Rome (or Bristol or Liverpool for that matter) and I don't suppose one can really judge a city from a brief visit, though then again that's how most of us experience them so maybe that's the fairest measure. I tend to enjoy cities more the longer I spend in them; Luanda is an exception. Over the years I've visited London loads of times and keep discovering more of the 'villages', but still don't feel I know it at all. Cities change swiftly too, maybe Amsterdam's improved in the decades since it was the dog-shit ridden hole that I knew.

Worldwide :

Cape Town

Washington DC

San Francisco

Charleston (South Carolina)

Vegas baby

San Diego

OK, that's 6, but it was hard to choose only 5...

I see where Donny's coming from with Cape Town. However...it's hard to disagree that it's the most scenically amazing city in the world (OK, I'll give you Rio), and the infrastructure and development has come on leaps and bounds from when I first visited. Anywhere in the world, it's hard to beat sitting at sunset in Camps Bay with a £3 cocktail watching the sun go down.

DC is a surprising city. You think it's the capital of the world and will reflect this, but it's actually quite small-town and is the most historically interesting city I've ever visited. Fascinating.

Europe :

Lisbon

Berlin

The Hague

Rome

Helsinki

UK :

Norwich

Bath

Bristol

Glasgow

Manchester

I didn't choose Edinburgh because it's a traffic-ridden disaster full of cheap, tacky tourist shite.

But you put in Bristol (traffic ridden not cheap,tacky tourist shit)

been a few times, its the Wife's fav City..... prob the guid looking Italians that did it.

last time was With Colin for the Scotland Game in Bari, he isnt very cultural, so quick underground to see Colosseum, a quick pic then pack to Hotel..

Its an amazing place....

The Vatican is also worth a look,

Enjoy

Have never been to Bristol, driven bye many times, one of the few UK cities I have never seen

Edited by stocky

But you put in Bristol (traffic ridden not cheap,tacky tourist shit)

All about opinions and experiences bro..

I've only visited Bristol once and my experience was enjoyable. Clifton Village is surely one of the nicest parts of any city in the UK.

Probably I know Edinburgh too well, and after a lifetime of visiting it the undoubted historical beauty that it has starts to wear off....now when I go I despair at seeing the streets clogged with traffic, the St James centre, the horrific Waverley Centre, the cheap shops on Princes Street and on the Royal Mile, the awful choices made by planning commitees over the years...all of that.

No doubt if I visited Edinburgh for the very first time as a tourist I might see it differently, I've no doubt about that.

All about opinions and experiences bro..

I've only visited Bristol once and my experience was enjoyable. Clifton Village is surely one of the nicest parts of any city in the UK.

Probably I know Edinburgh too well, and after a lifetime of visiting it the undoubted historical beauty that it has starts to wear off....now when I go I despair at seeing the streets clogged with traffic, the St James centre, the horrific Waverley Centre, the cheap shops on Princes Street and on the Royal Mile, the awful choices made by planning commitees over the years...all of that.

No doubt if I visited Edinburgh for the very first time as a tourist I might see it differently, I've no doubt about that.

I've been through Bristol twice after flying into it and the thing I noticed was how bad the traffic was. I sat on the train to Aberdeen last week with a boy who works in Reading Mon-Thu and he fly's into Bristol and he said the traffic was a nightmare around Bristol, the worst he's seen anywhere in the UK.

In no real order,

Paris

Rome

Berlin

Helsinki

Kyiv

Tokyo would make my list, but it was so massive that in 5 days never even scratched the surface and have wanted to go back ever since.

Small cities that have impressed me are Bratislava, Riga, Lviv and Yerevan (really wish I had spent more time there on route to Tbilisi)

In absolutely no particular order:

New York

Amsterdam

Las Vegas

Barcelona

Warsaw

I'm not sure if they're the "best" cities but they're certainly the ones I've had the most enjoyment in, whether that's due to the cities themselves or the people I was with, I have no idea.

Hong Kong

Rome

Las Vegas

New York

Barcelona

Seen a lot of mentions for Sydney, I thought it was a bit disappointing. Did go in their winter though, which maybe didn't help my opinion, and for a lot of folk it's about the "way of life" which you don't really see in a short visit.

In the UK I do like Liverpool, mostly for the nightlife. Had a few bad experiences with the people in Manchester that have put me off. I've felt quite comfortable any time I've been in London, I quite like the no fannying about approach (although Hong Kong is on a different level for that!).

I've been to quite a few cities as part of cruises so don't think you get a real feel for them; trying to do it all in the one day. As far as the list goes this is it.

St. Petersburg (going back to the Baltic in September)

Dubrovnik

Venice ( I know it sucks in some ways but still it's a city built on water)

Pisa

Stockholm

as for British cities, does Brechin count because I have great memories of going to Glebe Park during the Partick Thistle wilderness years of the 80's.