Forth Road Bridge Closed - Page 23 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forth Road Bridge Closed

You can't remember quite a lot as for the recommendation I'd suggest that the initial design of the bridge would give the best indication of where the areas highest stress are and you would start from there with the Pareto principle almost certainly being at play.

:lol: Aye, at my age you often feel that you have forgotten more than you ever knew. or something like that. :blink:

The point I was getting round to making is that you and I probably know as much about welded joints than most politicians or government ministers. With the exception of Nicola maybe, as we have already established that she is a fully qualified coded welder. But there is no need for them to know anything about welding or welding inspection plans, That is why they employ experience qualified engineers.

I think the only way the SNP are going to get any major fallout from this, is if somebody manages to find a paper trail which links a government minister's decision on funding directly to a change in the inspection regime which meant that that particular welded joint recieved a different level of inspection before and after the decision.

That may well happen but I think it is unlikely. Well, not before May anyway.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only way the SNP are going to get any major fallout from this, is if somebody manages to find a paper trail which links a government minister's decision on funding directly to a change in the inspection regime which meant that that particular welded joint recieved a different level of inspection before and after the decision.

That may well happen but I think it is unlikely. Well, not before May anyway.

And that's what I'll be interested in.

I apologise that my standards have slipped.

You have no need to apologise, it's Evilscotsman for jumping in before me.

(Keep an eye out, my eye sights getting worse so between that, my fat fingers and predictive text you'll soon have a field day with my posts!) my

Anyway back to "Fourth Road Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down." So on and so forth.

Edited by G-Man

Every cloud has a silver lining. Lesley Riddoch in "The National" comic writes "The temporary bridge closure represents the ideal chance to make a permanent shift in the way many folk travel into Edinburgh. For planning for life after oil to begin."

Agreed. I normally get the bus from Ferrytoll as I work in the city centre and it is a good service but has been taking longer and longer to get home since they started changing the road layouts for the new bridge. Huge queues to get over and I bet half of the folk in cars could get the bus if they could be arsed and we could all be home in 20 minutes. Have been getting train this month and getting home much quicker at night so might just stick with that even though it is a bit more expensive.