The Final Humiliation Is Complete - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Final Humiliation Is Complete

Doric

I am gutted at no qualifying and all i have heard all day is ireland this northern ireland that.Its gonna get worse in the coming months especially when the draw for the group stages is made next month.The sfa better no try to rip us off again or they will lose a lot more fans than happened at the last campaign.All the best to ireland,wales and northern ireland next summer as for england i hope its miserable and they come home early. :angry:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may well be right my friend, but I wasn't speaking for the "majority of Scotland fans", I was speaking for myself. The clue was in the first line of my post. And I can assure you, I am not kidding myself.

:ok:

You are most definitely kidding yourself , Scotland , like ourselves , do not have the infrastructure , population to produce a truly great team.

Yes , both countries can and have produced truly great players but our respective population densities mitigate against us producing 11 such players at the same time.

If , unlike ourselves , you continue to believe in the fallacy that you can out football the bigger football nations then you are doomed to watch a team playing pretty ineffective football while Ireland continue to seek the most effective manner of qualifying for major tournaments - once again !

Now where's my passport ?

Scotland should be better than Ireland because we have relatively strong and well supported clubs. Ireland, as far as I can see, rely on England developing young players for them, or at least giving them competitive football. Likewise Wales.

In fact, how come Ireland are as strong as they are? Are they doing something with youth development that we're not?

From my experience, stereotypes aside, the Irish are healthier, more confident, better educated and have a more collective sense of nationhood than us. The fact that they play rugby, Gaelic football and hurling is probably more of a help than a hindrance.

You are most definitely kidding yourself , Scotland , like ourselves , do not have the infrastructure , population to produce a truly great team.

Yes , both countries can and have produced truly great players but our respective population densities mitigate against us producing 11 such players at the same time.

If , unlike ourselves , you continue to believe in the fallacy that you can out football the bigger football nations then you are doomed to watch a team playing pretty ineffective football while Ireland continue to seek the most effective manner of qualifying for major tournaments - once again !

Thank you for correcting me on what I'm actually thinking.

You clearly haven't understood my post. I said I have zero interest in watching a Scotland team play the way Ireland do. It is shite and not in the least bit entertaining to me. That is my personally held view and I made it clear in my post that it was such. Please desist from trying to control my thoughts.

As for your wee "our population is too wee to play decent football' theory, we're just going to have to disagree on that one. That's the politest response I can muster to such nonsense.

From my experience, stereotypes aside, the Irish are healthier, more confident, better educated and have a more collective sense of nationhood than us. The fact that they play rugby, Gaelic football and hurling is probably more of a help than a hindrance.

Every boy and most girls in Ireland get shoved into gaelic football or hurling, anyone with a smidge of talent and coordination will be spotted very early.

As for your wee "our population is too wee to play decent football' theory, we're just going to have to disagree on that one. That's the politest response I can muster to such nonsense.

No no, he's right. Case in point - Iceland. They are tiny (population 320k), but qualified by their FA putting their players through a 1970's 'total immersion' training programme, right down to the players wearing flares and sporting mullets. They booted every ball long, ran around the pitch and smashed their way to France.

Apparently the SFA have invited the Icelandic FA over to learn their secrets.

No no, he's right. Case in point - Iceland. They are tiny (population 320k), but qualified by their FA putting their players through a 1970's 'total immersion' training programme, right down to the players wearing flares and sporting mullets. They booted every ball long, ran around the pitch and smashed their way to France.

Apparently the SFA have invited the Icelandic FA over to learn their secrets.

Sorry how does that make him right? Surely that disproves his point not proves it?

I personally didn't use that example to make my point though as I can't claim to be an expert on the quality of football that was played by Iceland during the campaign.

Sorry how does that make him right? Surely that disproves his point not proves it?

I personally didn't use that example to make my point though as I can't claim to be an expert on the quality of football that was played by Iceland during the campaign.

Oops just read your post properly. I can see you were being sarcastic.

Scotland should be better than Ireland because we have relatively strong and well supported clubs. Ireland, as far as I can see, rely on England developing young players for them, or at least giving them competitive football. Likewise Wales.

In fact, how come Ireland are as strong as they are? Are they doing something with youth development that we're not?

Why? Because half of their players are actually English, brought up thru the English academy system and then realise their grandad once had a pint of Guiness and elect to play for them, they are years ahead of us when it comes to getting the best out of the parent/grandparent rule, which many Scots don't like to use.

Thanks for the support guys :cheers3:

Regarding Scotland the only thing you need to improve is your defence. If you sort that out you'll push for a WC spot. You guys have a good attacking system, were very impressive early on in the campaign and are very capable of scoring goals.

Best of luck in the WC campaign :)

Why? Because half of their players are actually English, brought up thru the English academy system and then realise their grandad once had a pint of Guiness and elect to play for them, they are years ahead of us when it comes to getting the best out of the parent/grandparent rule, which many Scots don't like to use.

It would be curious to know how Jack Grealish is viewed in Ireland these days since declaring his allegiance to England

Oops just read your post properly. I can see you were being sarcastic.

Hilarious , such a rush to be aggrieved without thinking !

Of course any side can attempt to play " decent " football - the fact that getting the ball down & attempting to play expansive football is commendable if you have the players to do so is admirable but Scotland don't have such players , the fact that you wish Scotland to persist in this ultimately doomed endeavour is of course your right.

You must however accept that the other side of the coin is that Scotland will fail to qualify for major tournaments for the foreseeable future.

Football ultimately at International level is about progress - points garnered & qualification gained - anything else is secondary.

Pragmatism is the name of the game , the FAI stand to generate €12,000,000 for qualifying - that should help to progress our game !

Roll on the draw on the 12th December - I quite fancy Bordeaux , good wine & food !

Of course any side can attempt to play " decent " football - the fact that getting the ball down & attempting to play expansive football is commendable if you have the players to do so is admirable but Scotland don't have such players , the fact that you wish Scotland to persist in this ultimately doomed endeavour is of course your right.

You must however accept that the other side of the coin is that Scotland will fail to qualify for major tournaments for the foreseeable future.

Football ultimately at International level is about progress - points garnered & qualification gained - anything else is secondary.

Pragmatism is the name of the game , the FAI stand to generate €12,000,000 for qualifying - that should help to progress our game !

Roll on the draw on the 12th December - I quite fancy Bordeaux , good wine & food !

Thought you were happy with your current style of play? No need for progress.

Now , now - I never said that .

I merely stated that given our current panel we have no option but to adopt a pragmatic attitude & play to our strengths which is basically the reason the country is in a state of delirium at the moment - we have qualified.

The alternative is of course to play a more expansive game thereby playing into the hands of technically superior teams thus ensuring that we watch the Euros on our TV's as opposed to being there !

It would be curious to know how Jack Grealish is viewed in Ireland these days since declaring his allegiance to England

This should give you an idea.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/12000566/Jack-Grealish-trolled-over-nation-switch-by-Irish-fans-after-Euro-2016-qualification.html

Now , now - I never said that .

I merely stated that given our current panel we have no option but to adopt a pragmatic attitude & play to our strengths which is basically the reason the country is in a state of delirium at the moment - we have qualified.

The alternative is of course to play a more expansive game thereby playing into the hands of technically superior teams thus ensuring that we watch the Euros on our TV's as opposed to being there !

No way do we have the players to play the Irish way.Thank God no offence intended.Imo we weren't expansive enough,better to give it a real try instead of doubling up at the back non stop.I'm convinced two strikers would have been better.Just my way of thinking,as you can see wee Barry is my type of player and most of the posters hate him.Enjoy your time in France.

They're not healthier or better educated. They're only slightly less of a 'fat c#nt' nation that us. But that's due to the sport bit. Their education system is pretty mediocre but I'm not sure what that's got to do with anything anyway. Roy keane certainly didn't experience much of it.

I think confidence and a sense of nationhood is the biggest difference. Scotland doesn't have either of those.

As much as it hurts as being the only 'Home' nation being left at home, you can't take away what Ireland have achieved. I'll be honest in that if Ireland were playing in my back garden I'd draw the curtains and I'll bet deep down even the most ardent Irishman would yearn for their side to play good football. But let's not split hairs, any team that is unbeaten against the world champions and can negotiate a play-off with relative ease deserves to make France. It's a results business. When the opportunity presented itself in Georgia we made a of it. And with the benefit of hindsight, we should have finished Ireland off in Dublin and started with an attacking line up instead of worrying about their long ball tactics. Its our own fault we didn't make it, pure and simple. Hope the Irish fans have a ball next summer as I experienced nothing but kindness from their fans and the locals in general when I was over in June. Was a brilliant trip. Simply wish it was us that made it but c'est la vie.

Anybody know of a remote Hebridean island with no TV, tinternet which I can hire for the month of June......................

Your passport is in the bin along with your manners.

Massive good luck to all your opponents :ok:

Anyone but England and Ireland, if you play each other i'll just cheer the mistakes.

Just because you qualified playing clatty long-ball garbage doesn't mean we can't qualify playing decent passing football :-))

Have you seen Iceland recently? with 1/20th of our population?

You just keep going along with your settling for second best attitude though, for all the jibes and trolls from you guys over the last 2 years the one thing I've never seen from you is the slightest hint of ambition.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

Who are the 24 teams at Euro 2016?

Albania, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Northern Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales.

:(