Class Of '92 - Out Of Their League - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Class Of '92 - Out Of Their League

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed the programme & thought they all came across well.

If i was a supporter of Salford i would have been raging though at the fact they changed the strip colours & also the badge so soon after becoming owners!!

That was one of the alarm bells I got on the potential downside of their involvement too.

Not good.

Really enjoyed the programme & thought they all came across well.

If i was a supporter of Salford i would have been raging though at the fact they changed the strip colours & also the badge so soon after becoming owners!!

Yep the strip thing is what I mentioned, didmt know about the badge, really wouldn't be happy if it was my club at any level

Really enjoyed that.

It started off being about the ex-Man United players, but developed into a story about the team and the people who have given their free time to the club for years.

It's hard to shake the feeling that Salford City has just become a plaything for bored ex-footballers with money....'we'll just buy a catering van'... and I can imagine everyone else in non-league football hating them, but the programme was really well done.

Really enjoyed that.

It started off being about the ex-Man United players, but developed into a story about the team and the people who have given their free time to the club for years.

It's hard to shake the feeling that Salford City has just become a plaything for bored ex-footballers with money....'we'll just buy a catering van'... and I can imagine everyone else in non-league football hating them, but the programme was really well done.

Agree with that.

Will be interesting to see how far they are prepared to go with the club.

Thought a few other sides seemed to have better grounds though - can imagine another 2 or 3 promotions and they'll really start spending big on the ground and players.

Really enjoyed that.

Aye, now Match of the Day are covering Salford V Notts county in the FA cup live tomorrow night. They will be the media darlings until it all goes tits up.

Fair play to Neville for admitting the food van would have been tight and instead got a proper kitchen built. Don't know about the managers though think if I was playing for them I would probably have swung for one of them by now.

Fair play to Neville for admitting the food van would have been tight and instead got a proper kitchen built. Don't know about the managers though think if I was playing for them I would probably have swung for one of them by now.

I don't see what the problem was with the managers. What are they supposed to be like if they think guys are swinging the lead? I would expect them to be in the face and telling a few home truths, that is what they are getting paid for after all, they would be the ones out the door if it went wrong.

I really like Gary Neville these days.

Used to hate the guy as a player.

There are very few players in football that have done what Gary Neville's done.

400 appearances for Man United, 85 England caps, Champions League winner, countless league and cup wins. I seem to remember Alex Ferguson saying that despite having the likes of Beckham, Giggs, Cantona et al, Gary Neville was always the first name down on the teamsheet and the player that he trusted most.

Wiki's really good here...he also holds UEFA A and B coaching licences. He (part) owns 2 hotels in Manchester and now has a succesful career in media.

He seems to be a guy that if he does something, he does it right.

If he was good looking, he would be a feckin billionaire.

I really like Gary Neville these days.

Used to hate the guy as a player.

I never had any problem with Gary Neville as a player, a very good example of a player who made absolutely everything out of the ability he had. An attitude that a lot of our players could aspire to.

Phil Neville on the other hand I had an absolute irrational hatred of as a player, couldn't stand the sight of him.

The worrying thing is that since he's retired I find myself liking him more and more.

The pair of them are clearly both very driven - they wouldn't have achieved what they have done if they weren't - but they both come across as very grounded.

I never had any problem with Gary Neville as a player, a very good example of a player who made absolutely everything out of the ability he had. An attitude that a lot of our players could aspire to.

Phil Neville on the other hand I had an absolute irrational hatred of as a player, couldn't stand the sight of him.

The worrying thing is that since he's retired I find myself liking him more and more.

The pair of them are clearly both very driven - they wouldn't have achieved what they have done if they weren't - but they both come across as very grounded.

Agree with all of that, think Gary is very very honest which i like.

There is nothing at all unusual in what is happening at Salford City in English non-league football.

There are numerous examples of wealthy individuals buying clubs, pumping in money and clubs moving fairly rapidly up through the leagues.

The only difference with Salford City is the fame and celebrity of the owners.

Generally they all end up badly when the "wealthy" owner stops investing for whatever reason. What then happens next in the short term is usually the same. The budget is slashed, the better paid - and usually better - players leave, the team starts to lose heavily and is relegated. What happens in the long term is largely dependent on the level of debt the owners have placed on the club. This usually leaves the club bankrupt and they go out of business.

I'd say that Salford City have a few things going for them.

Firstly, its pretty clear where the owners money is coming from - there have definitely been cases of dodgy money being used to fund non-league football teams, essentially a money laundering operation.

Secondly, the owners actually know something about football and so should be able to generally make the right sort of decisions as regards player and manager recruitment. They'll also have unparalleled contacts and connections.

Finally, unlike Gretna, at least in Salford there is potential to build a heartland support. Salford must be the largest city in the UK without a senior football team. Obviously they have two of the biggest clubs in the country on their immediate doorstep and numerous lower league teams in the immediate vicinity however I would have thought that a combination of local pride, a winning and successful team and also the Manchester United connection could easily see them have average attendances in the low 1000s, their current average attendance is 478.

Could they make it to the Football League and establish themselves there - I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

Personally, I have a lot less issue with what is happening at Salford City than I do with FC United of Manchester.

I can fully understand why Man Utd fans became disillusioned post the Glazer take over however a much better course of action would be for those fans who wanted to watch grassroots football and have some real connection with the club to support their local non-league sides - this would almost inevitably have meant that Salford's support would have gone up and maybe they could have started to go up the leagues without the need for wealthy owners. All they've done is to reconstitute Man Utd in Non-League, a club that dominates by its relatively large support.

For people that are concerned about Non-League sides being taken over by outside "agents" who are bent on changing their character then you should look at Dulwich Hamlet and Clapton FC. That to me is a lot more insidious.

I can fully understand why Man Utd fans became disillusioned post the Glazer take over however a much better course of action would be for those fans who wanted to watch grassroots football and have some real connection with the club to support their local non-league sides - this would almost inevitably have meant that Salford's support would have gone up and maybe they could have started to go up the leagues without the need for wealthy owners. All they've done is to reconstitute Man Utd in Non-League, a club that dominates by its relatively large support.

And don't even let them kid you on that most of them don't still go to see MUFC.