Squad For Next Campaign - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad For Next Campaign

g@un

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you don't want him to fail but many will. McKay will play for Scotland, not many of the current Rangers first team will, although Wallace has a chance. The other somewhat further down the line is Ryan Hardie. Good luck to them, I say. :-)

The general consensus from people who know McKay is that he is nowhere near good enough to play for Scotland now or in the future.

An opinion not shared by Mark Warburton who knows more about him than any of you lot. Agree about Fleck though; the last similar hype I recollect was Marinello!

And yet, has absolutely no reason to play up the quality of one of his players.

He's not exactly going to tell the media he's gash is he?

Yes but that is a damning indictment where we stand now - talent-wise.

Perhaps, but how many of the current squad can control a football? Russell Martin, Bannan, Steven Fletcher, Maloney and Snodgrass. The rest can control a ball about 50% of the time. McKay has good ability and plays with his head up and is faster than the proverbial butcher's dug.

Personally I don't get enthusiastic about the international chances of any young player* until they've played about 50-60 first team games. I've seen far too many players getting hyped up after a couple of good performances - generally in live televised games - who never come anywhere near living up to that hype.

A big part of the problem is that we haven't had any genuine world class players since the 1980s and so everyone - fans and media - jump on to any promising young player and if they play for one of the bigger clubs, it's even worse.

*someone under the age of 21, not someone who's 25 and gets described as "he's only young, he can still improve"

Personally I don't get enthusiastic about the international chances of any young player* until they've played about 50-60 first team games. I've seen far too many players getting hyped up after a couple of good performances - generally in live televised games - who never come anywhere near living up to that hype.

A big part of the problem is that we haven't had any genuine world class players since the 1980s and so everyone - fans and media - jump on to any promising young player and if they play for one of the bigger clubs, it's even worse.

*someone under the age of 21, not someone who's 25 and gets described as "he's only young, he can still improve"

I would generally agree with that. That said, barring injury, McKay will play for Scotland. He won't win us the World Cup, well not single handed anyway...

Nail on the head. :ok:

I don't get enthusiastic until they have proven themselves at international level.

Need to try 3 centre halves particularly against the bigger teams such as England and slovakia.

Keeping Martin & Hanley, but adding a Mulgrew, berra or Liam Cooper.

We have conceded too many soft goals and with 2 attack minded full backs in hutton & Robertson, plus no real defensive midfielder I think it really suits us.

I can't imagine who these people are, but they're wrong. If you can run as fast as him, and can control a ball and pass it, you'll get a game for Scotland.

People that have grown up with him and see him day in day out. But what do they know

I saw Barrie McKay multiple times for Scotland youths a few years back and thought he was excellent. I then saw him a few times against us (Falkirk) when he played with Raith and thought he'd regressed. The pace was still there, but the intelligence, skill and game awareness that I saw before seemed to have deserted him.

I'm sure I read posts on P&B from Raith fans giving him stick. I'd be interested to hear their opinion of him on this thread.

I saw Barrie McKay multiple times for Scotland youths a few years back and thought he was excellent. I then saw him a few times against us (Falkirk) when he played with Raith and thought he'd regressed. The pace was still there, but the intelligence, skill and game awareness that I saw before seemed to have deserted him.

I'm sure I read posts on P&B from Raith fans giving him stick. I'd be interested to hear their opinion of him on this thread.

He's a young player and his form will fluctuate. A Rangers loan player would need to play like Messi to impress his temporary fans.

Danny Wilson won't be excelling. Rangers fans for the most part unimpressed; looked a good player when he he had David Weir to nanny him.

Saw Danny Wilson as 17/18 year old playing (and scoring) against Hearts at Tynecastle and thought that I'd witnessed Scotland's centre half for years to come. Unfortunately having seen him last year and hearing the opinions of the people who are watching him now I don't think there is any doubt that he's not progressed in the way that most people thought he would, he's still young though and may come on but I think he's got a long way to go, would love to see it though as Scotland badly need a dominant centre back who can lead a new back line who have genuine pace and ability.