Let The Right One In - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I assumed it would be pish however a burd in the work totally loves the original and thought the remake was alright.

The remake was on the other week and i Tivo'd it

Ive only watched the first 30 minutes or so and they seem to have wasted it by

1 - Making the girl look as if she could be a boy.

2 - Special Vampire effects

The National Theatre of Scotland do a stage version, which is excellent. Saw it in London last year and was really impressed. I believe they've taken it to New York now (not Broadway) and it seems to be getting good reviews.

I've also read the book and watched the Swedish film but haven't seen the US remake yet.

Eli

picture-13.png

Abby

LetMeINChloeGraceMoretz3.jpg

Maybe the US version got closer to the book in which it tells that Eli was a boy 200 years ago who was castrated when he turned into a vampire and now dresses as a girl

Thats not revealed in the original till later on but in the US version you wonder whether Abby is a boy or a girl from the first few scenes

Edited by Ally Bongo

Na, pish as usual.

Not always 'as usual'.

The Swedish version of 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' is awful. Doesn't even come close to doing justice to a superb book.

The US/UK version with Daniel Craig isn't much better. But it's better.

The original is brilliant, the book is even better, the remake, Meh. It was OK, if I hadn’t read the book or seen the original It would have been pretty good. The kids in the US one are brilliant actors and put in very good performances.

Not always 'as usual'.

The Swedish version of 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' is awful. Doesn't even come close to doing justice to a superb book.

Haven't seen the Daniel Craig version, but I thought the Swedish one was good. Can't be easy to condense a book of that length into a film.

I loved Let the Right One In as well, btw,. Haven't seen the US remake, but may give it a go.

Not always 'as usual'.

Lot of sh!te. The Swedish versions of the Larsson books are brilliant.

Not seen the remake but the original was fantastic.

Totally agree. Original movie was excellent and looked fantastic. Not seen the remake but having just made the horrific mistake of watching the remake of Salems Lot, I think I'll skip it.

Nor mine rossy - the Swedish films were decent.

The books are superb. I just felt that the original film (I've only seen the first one) was a major let down after how complex and gripping the book was.

The storyline was flimsy and the main characters were miscast (IMHO). I appreciate that others may feel differently.

I get the impression that there's often a willingness to laud foreign language films as always being brilliant and better than the US/UK versions, because it seems to be an urge to get your 'inner film snob' out......I've rarely seen a post stating that an original language film was in fact, just a pile o'dovers.

The books are superb. I just felt that the original film (I've only seen the first one) was a major let down after how complex and gripping the book was.

The storyline was flimsy and the main characters were miscast (IMHO). I appreciate that others may feel differently.

I get the impression that there's often a willingness to laud foreign language films as always being brilliant and better than the US/UK versions, because it seems to be an urge to get your 'inner film snob' out......I've rarely seen a post stating that an original language film was in fact, just a pile o'dovers.

Ah well, when you say that, I agree, compared to the books they don't come close .enjoyed the books very much. But I did enjoy the films regardless.

Now there's another theme - any films that have really done a great book justice?

Ah well, when you say that, I agree, compared to the books they don't come close .enjoyed the books very much. But I did enjoy the films regardless.

Now there's another theme - any films that have really done a great book justice?

There's only one film I've enjoyed more than the book and that was Blade Runner. I think I wasn't that keen on the Authors style and there was too much about the fake animals that added nothing to the actual story. Phillip K Dick has however had dozens of movies made of his books so there maybe others the same for me that I haven't read yet!

To be fair there are very few films that do justice to the books that they came from

That's probably a thread in itself!

lol totally

The only solution i can see is stop reading good books

Edited by Ally Bongo

Thought the original Swedish film of The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo was much more powerful and superior to the remake, reflected the original title (Men Who Hate Women) in some ways. Enjoyed the books very much, though have to say that huge great chunks of the third (The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest) was dry, turgid stuff - page, after page, after page of Swedish legal and bureaucratic details. There are various rumours and theories as to who actually wrote the books (mostly nonsense I'm sure) but the middle part of that book did make me wonder a bit.