3Rd Place - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3Rd Place

scotsgary1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bollocks

last 20 mins of Ireland Poland game Ireland realised they were ####ed and started battering the ball into the polish box from the half way line, fluking a knock down in the last minute

That is utter rubbish. ....we created loads of chances and we're on top of them for most of that half

We had them on the rack for that half.

You were watching a completely different game if you actually believe your post....or are just talking through your arse

Draw was fair...as Poland dominated the first half as we never got going

And yes Scotland need to do exactly what we did in the second half ...don't sit back. Go for it and cracks can be found in their defence

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

That is utter rubbish. ....we created loads of chances and we're on top of them for most of that half

We had them on the rack for that half.

You were watching a completely different game if you actually believe your post....or are just talking through your arse

Draw was fair...as Poland dominated the first half as we never got going

total crap

long latched into a knock down last minute

you tried to to play football for first hour and it went nowhere

total crap

long latched into a knock down last minute

you tried to to play football for first hour and it went nowhere

Longs goal came from a knock down from a corner....it wasn't some punt from the half way line.

We didn't try anything in the first half....we just sat back and let them attack us and Poland dominated us...we completely up the tempo in the second half and created chances from it.

I was at the game....and I am recalling a very different game to you

Longs goal came from a knock down from a corner....it wasn't some punt from the half way line.

We didn't try anything in the first half....we just sat back and let them attack us and Poland dominated us...we completely up the tempo in the second half and created chances from it.

agreed.

Yeah I'll agree with that

At half time I could only see one winner but combination of Ireland upping their game and Poland sitting on a lead changed the game.

True that.

And i`m sure we learned the lesson in Dublin and won`t let another second half vs Ireland to happen.

Game in Frankfurt was a good example. Germany took the lead, added a second quickly but we started higher pressing, get the contact goal and almost an equaliser just before HT. And we could totally colapse after that two quick lockdowns.

From what i remember there were tactical changes at halftime, no?

If there's one thing to be said about O'Neill, he makes good subs and knows how to change the balance of a game.

i can't see any effect that O'Neill has had on Irelands play

Made some effective subs to give them the win against Georgia last week. Plus did the same against Poland (moved Hoolahan's position i think, plus sent McLean on, who certainly got stuck in (though prob should have been sent off, along with McCarthy)).

Made some effective subs to give them the win against Georgia last week. Plus did the same against Poland (moved Hoolahan's position i think, plus sent McLean on, who certainly got stuck in (though prob should have been sent off, along with McCarthy)).

You are correct on tactical changes.

Against Poland:

First half we played 4-5-1 with Hoolahan playing in the hole behind Keane ..... half time o'neill changed to a more 4-4-2 .....allowing walters play more as a striker alongside Keane. But it also allowed Hoolahan to go deeper and get a better grip on midfield. We hit the post twice in the 2nd half....and finished the game with near 60% possession. ...a complete turnaround from the first half

Mcleans introduction in the second half was great. He caused a lot of problems for Poland.

With regards to his tackle. ..I genuinely believe it was a good tackle(but that's another days argument ). McCarthy shud have seen red....he barely touched the polish player (who went down like he had been shot ) but he did raise his hand and that does mean a red card.

Similar against georgia. ...got Keane off at half time....replaced him with long. Walters pushed more forward, allowing Hendrick to be more centre mid and mclean coming on also provided attacking support out wide

As I see it Germany are not guaranteed automatic qualification just yet so under those circumstances I would be gobsmacked if the super-efficient Germans don't get the desired result next month especially if they display the quality they did the other night.

As for us against Poland I look at it this way. Poland impress in attack but their defence is susceptible as we saw in Warsaw and Germany prized them open three times and Ireland as well made them look vulnerable when under the cosh. Also look at their away form in this group and it hardly dazzles. Also Poland come into the match in a stick or twist sort of situation. A draw would guarantee them at least a play-off spot so the longer the game goes and they are at parity the more I'd expect them to defend what they have which must be good for us. We weren't dazzling the other night and have played better 9a lot better) under Strachan yet we still scored twice against the world champions.

In short this is far from over. :ok:

Correct as I said we have ####ed up once in this group with the rest being decent results. Hopefully we can beat the poles and the Germans do the business against ireland. Far from impossible. Let's not build up the poles too much.

Edited by 1ANDYP

My main concern going into the Poland match is our form and momentum. It is far from ideal we go into such a crunch match on the back of back-to-back defeats.

Is yere form that bad though? Excluding the georgia result. .... no shame in losing by 1 goal to germany....not really sure I'd put that result in the bad form category. ...if you know what I mean ?

My worry is with ireland. ....that we tend to start games poorly. ...takes us awhile to get going. Can't be doing that against germany

My main concern going into the Poland match is our form and momentum. It is far from ideal we go into such a crunch match on the back of back-to-back defeats.

You need to look at the whole campaign.

Every team has had a bed spell.

We have had ours as Gordon says this is far from over.