Scottish Airshow - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Airshow

Anybody else down in Ayr today?

Absolutely glorious day for it, hard to believe after this summer.

Good to forget about the fitba for a bit, until errr Monday...

Brilliant display and the weather is glorious

I'm having to head back to Glasgow because I'm booked for dinner at 6 so I'll miss the Red Arrows

I'll be back next year and might stay the night in some local joint

The Eurofighter Typhoon was great, incredible to watch. Problem was it was first up so the aircraft after it were a bit tame.

Quite emotional watching the Vulcan fly for the last time.

Have to say the Red Arrows were excellent though. Hadn't seen them for years and they seem to have a lot more inventive manoeuvres now...

Edited by Toepoke

Was there too. ..marvellous stuff. ..lovely seeing the Vulcan one last time...brought back many childhood memories of seeing them daily.

Red Arrows were clearly doing a far longer display than normal...a Flying Fortress at the end and a very old 1930s flying boat. Great (as a maritime nation how come we don't still have flying boats...a tad mote useful than trident?!!).

And great seeing such a huge crowd. I want to move to Ayrshire !!!

I dont want to sound negative or ungrateful - cos it was still a great (free) day out - but, compared to previous shows at Leuchars the show today was somewhat lacking in the wow factor. The sensation of speed seemed to be lessened and the planes weren't as noisy.

The change in location cause that or caused by the display being pushed further offshore due to the recent Shoreham incident?

Yes I thought the same...the Vulcan DID seem slower than previously. Others too.

In fact the Vulcan was probably running at 20% speed.

I do know Civil Aviation Authority limit it anyway to around half max speed which is a shame.

In its final year it ought to be allowed to show itself in full glory and let everyone here thst awesome roar one last time

good, it wasn't just me getting old and senile.

I remember airshows at Leuchars where the fast jets made you jump as they sped past. You could feel the Vulcans engines through your body. The noise made young kids cry.

My mates 10 month old slept through the Vulcan display today....

Was there too. ..marvellous stuff. ..lovely seeing the Vulcan one last time...brought back many childhood memories of seeing them daily.

Red Arrows were clearly doing a far longer display than normal...a Flying Fortress at the end and a very old 1930s flying boat. Great (as a maritime nation how come we don't still have flying boats...a tad mote useful than trident?!!).

And great seeing such a huge crowd. I want to move to Ayrshire !!!

Good to see Indy politics dragged into every topic

Good to see Indy politics dragged into every topic

Trident? Plenty of Unionists want rid of it too.

I dont want to sound negative or ungrateful - cos it was still a great (free) day out - but, compared to previous shows at Leuchars the show today was somewhat lacking in the wow factor. The sensation of speed seemed to be lessened and the planes weren't as noisy.

The change in location cause that or caused by the display being pushed further offshore due to the recent Shoreham incident?

I don't think Shoreham had any affect. Was actually surprised to see the Red Arrows fly over the town as much.

I agree thinking back to the old Prestwick airshows in the 70s and 80s they seemed a bit more noisy and exciting but then there was a steady stream of American Cold War jets (I guess it was political then too) plus amazing aircraft like the Harrier and Concorde that don't fly anymore.

Off down to the static display today for some close up photos :)

Trident? Plenty of Unionists want rid of it too.

I don't think Shoreham had any affect. Was actually surprised to see the Red Arrows fly over the town as much.

I agree thinking back to the old Prestwick airshows in the 70s and 80s they seemed a bit more noisy and exciting but then there was a steady stream of American Cold War jets (I guess it was political then too) plus amazing aircraft like the Harrier and Concorde that don't fly anymore.

Off down to the static display today for some close up photos :)

Can I request a photo of a b1 or an a10 if they are there

Can I request a photo of a b1 or an a10 if they are there

Neither there I'm afraid.

Goes back to my previous post, saw the A10 doing an incredible display at Prestwick back in the 80s. Must have been absolutely terrifying being on the ground with one of of those beasts stalking you...

the Eurofighter is overrated The Indian Aiforce's SU-30MKI handed the RAF's Eurofighters Tranche 3a (the latest version) a new a-rsehole in recent air combat trials with the SU-30MKIs winning 12-0 the new SU-35s are even better and more advanced than the SU-30MK/I

for me the French Rafale is the best looking 4.5 gen. fighter jet

Neither there I'm afraid.

Goes back to my previous post, saw the A10 doing an incredible display at Prestwick back in the 80s. Must have been absolutely terrifying being on the ground with one of of those beasts stalking you...

Only seen the warthog and the bone on the ground when at the airshow in leuchars back in the 90s. Went there to see the tomcat but it had been called up to head to the gulf. This was the summer before the first gulf war.

One of these years I'll get to an airshow at Duxford as that is my closest major show