Writing On The Wall? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Writing On The Wall?

weekevie04

Last 10-12 months we've not been very good.

I was shot down by some friends for saying we haven't been that good this whole campaign a while back, for saying we don't create enough chances. It's all about opinions and so on, but it's so true.

Name a game we've been good in? I can't. Georgia at Ibrox - lucky, Ireland - both games fortunate, Germany - we dug in, Gibraltar - nope 6-1 was a slug. The only one I can think of is Warsaw away.

We don't create enough chances. Our midfield is static, we have one creative player in that team in Maloney - who is clever, quick, albeit slight on the ball, but has a great brain.

Brown and Morrison - check their passes. 70% of the time they undercook their pass, instantly breaking down the move.

We constantly are looking to take to the wing backs.

We rely too much on Anya - not down to skill, but because he has pace.

Hutton too. He should be binned.

Steven Fletcher is ideal for playing a top ranked team like Germany, for his excellent ability to hold the ball up, but now these games.

Naismith hasn't been good for those 10-12 months - goes to ground, shouting/moaning at the slightest touch.

Strachan - I like, and has done well for us, but he has his favourites. Fletcher and Hutton shouldn't have started this game. And if I was there, (which I'm not, just an idiot fan), but maybe Naismith too. We can't just pick the big names or our favourites. We have a squad of 20 odd players - let's use them.

McArthur should have started as well.

Just another pointless rant.

Let's see what Monday brings.

Edited by weekevie04

I have to disagree. The players you rant about are the best we have available in those positions and are the players that got the results to get us into contention in this group. As I have said elsewhere we need to look to our tactics/game plan (or lack of) rather than calling for players to be axed. The players looked lost tonight as if they never knew what they should be doing. Tonight I'd reluctantly say the blame lies at the management for not adopting a more pro-active attacking display.

I have to disagree. The players you rant about are the best we have available in those positions and are the players that got the results to get us into contention in this group. As I have said elsewhere we need to look to our tactics/game plan (or lack of) rather than calling for players to be axed. The players looked lost tonight as if they never knew what they should be doing. Tonight I'd reluctantly say the blame lies at the management for not adopting a more pro-active attacking display.

Fair dues.

I just don't think we have been that great at all this whole campaign baring the Germany and Poland games.

Agree that we can't ditch the players and we need to look at other tactics, but there are some players we can ditch e.g Hutton, Morrison.

Last 10-12 months we've not been very good.

I was shot down by some friends for saying we haven't been that good this whole campaign a while back, for saying we don't create enough chances. It's all about opinions and so on, but it's so true.

Name a game we've been good in? I can't. Georgia at Ibrox - lucky, Ireland - both games fortunate, Germany - we dug in, Gibraltar - nope 6-1 was a slug. The only one I can think of is Warsaw away.

We don't create enough chances. Our midfield is static, we have one creative player in that team in Maloney - who is clever, quick, albeit slight on the ball, but has a great brain.

Brown and Morrison - check their passes. 70% of the time they undercook their pass, instantly breaking down the move.

We constantly are looking to take to the wing backs.

We rely too much on Anya - not down to skill, but because he has pace.

Hutton too. He should be binned.

Steven Fletcher is ideal for playing a top ranked team like Germany, for his excellent ability to hold the ball up, but now these games.

Naismith hasn't been good for those 10-12 months - goes to ground, shouting/moaning at the slightest touch.

Strachan - I like, and has done well for us, but he has his favourites. Fletcher and Hutton shouldn't have started this game. And if I was there, (which I'm not, just an idiot fan), but maybe Naismith too. We can't just pick the big names or our favourites. We have a squad of 20 odd players - let's use them.

McArthur should have started as well.

Just another pointless rant.

Let's see what Monday brings.

I agree with many of the sentiments here, although not necessarily the opinions on some of the players. I think Scotland fans have placed unrealistic expectations on a team that have overachieved and are of moderate ability. Wales have shown what can be done if you produce genuine world class players. The problem is that Scotland haven't done this for the best part of 20 years and don't look like doing it at any stage in the near future.

I said in 2007 that I didn't think that we would qualify for a major tournament for a long, long time as we weren't producing the players and had no obvious talent coming through. Unfortunately we're still in the same situation now, and the young players coming through aren't of the ability required to change things.

Agree we are average and although I like WGS his football isn't all that jazzy. Had the same problem is final year at Celtic. Picked his favourites and the football was turgid.

What team would you have had playing out of interest? Not too many surprises IMO. Sometimes the players need to take a look at themselves. Not saying strachan is blameless btw, but apart from our striker I probably would have picked the same team.

What team would you have had playing out of interest? Not too many surprises IMO. Sometimes the players need to take a look at themselves. Not saying strachan is blameless btw, but apart from our striker I probably would have picked the same team.

Fletcher Naismith Maloney Hutton & Mulgrew all have not been playing football and it showed

I got slated on my Facebook for being embarrassed at some Scotland fans celebrating the fact we drew in Dublin. Two reasons behind this statement were Ireland were there for the taking and victory would've ended their playoff chances and I feared this game last night.

We always come unstuck when we go to places like Georgia (twice), Lithuania (2003 & draw in 2010), Macedonia, Moldova etc and part of the reason is we tend to say "I'd take a point now". That mentality is why we haven't qualified for a major finals since 1998. Yes there are no easy games in international football but you need to win these games if you're going to qualify, simple.

All is not lost yet, we still have a chance but need to beat Poland now and at least draw on Monday with other results going our way. Going to be bloody hard though.

No harm Kev but it's easy to post this in hindsight. If you had posted it before a ball was kicked then perhaps it would have been fair to say the warning signs were there.

I think pre match, we had a lot of reasons to be optimistic and I certainly didn't hear anyone rushing to make the points you've made there before kick off

No harm Kev but it's easy to post this in hindsight. If you had posted it before a ball was kicked then perhaps it would have been fair to say the warning signs were there.

I think pre match, we had a lot of reasons to be optimistic and I certainly didn't hear anyone rushing to make the points you've made there before kick off

Yes.

It was our one very poor performance and whilst I agree we've not been brilliant this campaign we've been fairly solid and ground out a couple of decent results too. That's what good teams do and how many teams qualify. Until yesterday.

This was our only real dreadful performance in the campaign and I think we have many reasons to be cautiously optimistic for the next two home games coming up. We can't be as bad again and we've generally performed better at home and against better teams. We can beat anyone at Gampden on our day and are the only side in the group with a 100% home record intact.

No doubt we've made it much harder for ourselves than we ought to have but it's not over yet.

Until we can't qualify we MUST get behind the lads (whoever is picked) 100% more than ever before.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

Lucky against Georgia at Ibrox? We deserved to win by more we just didn't take our chances and they had one good chance and missed.

Lucky in BOTH games against Ireland? The one at Celtic Park was very even and very physical but we won out thanks to a quality goal which we rehearsed in training, something the top teams do.

Gibraltar? We were expected to thrash them and we did. Conceded the goal largely due to WGS' freaky defensive starting line-up. Probably wouldn't have happened with a regular defence in place.

Lucky against Georgia at Ibrox? We deserved to win by more we just didn't take our chances and they had one good chance and missed.

Lucky in BOTH games against Ireland? The one at Celtic Park was very even and very physical but we won out thanks to a quality goal which we rehearsed in training, something the top teams do.

Gibraltar? We were expected to thrash them and we did. Conceded the goal largely due to WGS' freaky defensive starting line-up. Probably wouldn't have happened with a regular defence in place.

This.

The only result we had where we didn't deserve the final score was the 2-1 defeat in Germany. Every other point we earned we fully deserved - arguably deserved a couple more.

Some people seem to think unless we play like Barcelona we deserve all. That's not how it works.

Do you ever stop licking arse?

Hahahaha. .......no arse licking.

I've seen scotland be sh.ite plenty of times as I have with ireland

I'm a realist. Neither teams are up to much in the greater scheme of things internationally and unfortunately that will be the way for quite some time.

Ye still deserved to beat us in celtic park...thats just a fact.

Now stop being such a miserable ignorant pr#ck like a good lad.

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising