Allan Mcgregor - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Allan Mcgregor

northernscum

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still waiting for the smoking gun that says he'd rather play for the UK than Scotland though - as per the OP's assertion.

I'm guessing you mean me and don't know what OP actually means.

Like I've said plenty of times now, 'educated guess,' 'not hard to work out.'

I never said there was a direct quote but if someone is so proud to be North British (Since he likes and shares things from 'North British view') then surely you would desire to represent your country. And for McGregor his country is clearly the UK and his nationality British.

Edited by iainmac1

I never said there was a direct quote but if someone is so proud to be North British (Since he likes and shares things from 'North British view') then surely you would desire to represent your country. And for McGregor his country is clearly the UK and his nationality British.

Some leap.

Not really. If anyone views their nationality as (Insert any country) and is proud to be (Insert same country) then it would be odd that they wouldn't want to represent them at international football. It is pretty straightforward really.

In your wee world maybe. Perhaps he thinks that the argument is flawed at this moment in time and that some things have to change before independence is the right thing for the Scottish people.

Who knows. Apart from you apparently.

Now that is some leap!

No. I have no idea how to read people's minds I am just putting forward an alternative point of view.

You have no idea what he thinks but have decided he does and then use that as a fact to say he would rather play for TeamGB.

That is the leap.

Now that is some leap!

No. I have no idea how to read people's minds I am just putting forward an alternative point of view.

You have no idea what he thinks but have decided he does and then use that as a fact to say he would rather play for TeamGB.

That is the leap.

It really is straightforward.

There are three groups of people as far as Scottish/British nationality is concerned. For the sake of the argument I'm talking about a "natural born Scot", i.e. someone born in Scotland who doesn't have any other national allegiences, i.e. someone like Allan McGregor. I'll also shoot anyone who says define Scottish or define British.

Scottish and not Briitish - in the main, these people would have voted Yes, probably a lot of these but not as many as people would like to think.

British and not Scottish - I'd be amazed if they voted anything but No, but in reality there are very few of these, probably less than 5% of the population.

Scottish and British - this will be the vast majority of the population and everyone will have their place on a sliding scale which will vary depending on circumstances, some people will feel a big bit British, some will feel a big bit Scottish, some will feel more Scottish when we're playing England, some will feel a wee bit British when the Olympics is on.

That third category is an entirely given the current constitutional arrangements and the fact there is 300 years of shared history, good and bad.

Back in September, the question was "Should Scotland be an independent country?". It wasn't "Should Scotland be an independent country or should we remove all traces of the word Scotland from history and all be part of the UK as if it never happened".

People weren't asked to choose between Scotland or the UK, they were asked to choose between Scotland as an independent country or Scotland as part of the UK as it is today*

Maybe you should get your head around the idea that for the majority of the electorate there is no contradiction between feeling both Scottish and British no matter how ridiculous that seems to you.

Then perhaps you can develop arguments to counter that or to at least lessen peoples concerns that they would have to give up something they don't feel comfortable with.

The only way to win the next referendum is to convince those who voted No to vote Yes.

*Until the Westminster parties shat it with the Vow.

Edited by aaid

Dont think there can be any doubt that he is a Billy Brit

No, I would say there is little doubt that he was a supporter of the "No" campaign. There's quite a leap to then assume that he's therefore a Billy Brit with all the imagery that that title evokes. Sounds again like there's perhaps a confusion between the differentiation of voting No (if indeed he even had the opportunity to do so) and 'not feeling Scottish'.

Yes we know he's a dependent but that's not really the topic. The vast majority of the Scotland squad wouldn't have been eligible to vote in the referendum anyway.

If anyone watching Soccer AM on Saturday, the Hull fans were saying that they need a decent keeper to get promoted back into the Premier League. It was brief but clear.

<p>I'm a bit confused as to why we're discussing Allan McGregor's political views... His form/ability seems to have gone through a pretty dramatic slump. 18 months ago he was our first choice and a key player, now i think he's fortunate to be in the squad. I'd say that's more important than whatever his politics is. Especially since he seems like a thicko, whos opinion i doubt anyone takes much notice of. </p>

Some right hand ringers on here at times.

Who cares what his political views are. He's Scottish, he plays for scotland. Independence supporters don't have a monopoly over the national side. More than half the population decided to stay in the Union, obviously plenty of our players are of that persuasion.

Keep the political stuff outside of football.

Who cares what his political views are. He's Scottish, he plays for scotland. Independence supporters don't have a monopoly over the national side. More than half the population decided to stay in the Union, obviously plenty of our players are of that persuasion.

Reminds me of this.

http://youtu.be/wCE389PRNyU

Some of the most committed Scotland supporters I know were No voters. I don't mean No voters as in might have voted Yes if the economic argument had been more robust, or if funding for cross border pensions had been made clearer, or if Scotland's position in the EU in the event of a Yes voted had been clarified - I mean ardent, cast iron, die hard No voters. They'd vote No today, tomorrow and the next day, just as a lot of us would vote Yes.

Now, quite how they manage to reconcile their belief that Scotland should not, under any circumstances, be an independent country while at the same time spending hundreds of pounds travelling around the world to watch a team that represents what is technically an administrative province play football against teams representing fully-fledged independent nations I do not know. But they can. And none of them are anywhere near as good in goals as Allan McGregor.

Politics and football do mix. The way it should be. Imagine rugby was played all around the world.

He is no longer good enough and a unionist tosser.

Some of the most committed Scotland supporters I know were No voters. I don't mean No voters as in might have voted Yes if the economic argument had been more robust, or if funding for cross border pensions had been made clearer, or if Scotland's position in the EU in the event of a Yes voted had been clarified - I mean ardent, cast iron, die hard No voters. They'd vote No today, tomorrow and the next day, just as a lot of us would vote Yes.

Now, quite how they manage to reconcile their belief that Scotland should not, under any circumstances, be an independent country while at the same time spending hundreds of pounds travelling around the world to watch a team that represents what is technically an administrative province play football against teams representing fully-fledged independent nations I do not know. But they can. And none of them are anywhere near as good in goals as Allan McGregor.

If they love being British so much lets get together and have a team GB. Maybe they will start the campaign off?