Scotland's History - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'm a proud and passionate Scot, but recently I've had a real hankering to learn more of the detail of our history, which I'm ashamed to say I don't know a great deal about. Can anyone recommend a decent book to start with? Something that encompasses our entire history, from Columba to present day (ish)? I think a broad brush to start with and then get into individual periods or events in more detail is a good way to start?

I would stay well clear of Michael lynch's book, it's not an easy read and will put you right off! I remember reading it years ago when I did my history degree and found it awful. In a drunken student moment I emailed him to tell him his book was shit. Got a good reply though.

I'm doing masters in Scottish history just now but remember a few good books that are exactly what your after, going through all eras throughout history. One in particular was good for giving you an insight into all times and events, going into decent enough detail. Can't remember the name of it but will have a Google search and should recognise it.

Edited by iainmac1

I would stay well clear of Michael lynch's book, it's not an easy read and will put you right off! I remember reading it years ago when I did my history degree and found it awful. In a drunken student moment I emailed him to tell him his book was shit. Got a good reply though.

I'm doing masters in Scottish history just now but remember a few good books that are exactly what your after, going through all eras throughout history. One in particular was good for giving you an insight into all times and events, going into decent enough detail. Can't remember the name of it but will have a Google search and should recognise it.

Cheers :ok:

Just had a look at Michael Lynch's book but didn't buy as it had really mixed reviews and seems very academic (which I suppose most history books are). Might have a closer look and see.

Edited by redstevie007

What about the one written by yon long haired chap? I have but have never read it.

I've read that and it is pretty decent especially if you want to avoid the heavier more academic stuff.

Good read, goes into enough depth to understand what is behind a lot of the events in our history but not so much that you lose sight of the overall story.

I think it's meant to supplement the DVD series he did which is quite a good watch.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

Same here thick as fcuk with scottish history, my daughter gets married next week and my future son in law has just gained a masters in history, i was gutted when he told me kilts were not invented in Bannockburn days, i told him he must be reading the wrong books.Though he is patriotic englishman he does like Wallace and what he stood for.

Same here thick as fcuk with scottish history, my daughter gets married next week and my future son in law has just gained a masters in history, i was gutted when he told me kilts were not invented in Bannockburn days, i told him he must be reading the wrong books.Though he is patriotic englishman he does like Wallace and what he stood for.

But, from memory, most modern tartans were "created" in Bannockburn by immigrant polish designer. As far as I recall..

Story is on web somewhere.

Nigel Tranter's novels are my favourite books.

Each one covers a particular period such as one king'reign.

All are meticulously researched. He studied everything to ensure historical accuracy and visited every location, walked every hill and glen.

The dialogue etc is then created as fiction but all very readable and entertaining and engrossing.

Tranter was an interesting person too.

He launched a legal case to have the Queen called Elizabeth 1st in Scotland as quite obviously Scotland has never had any other Queen Elizabeth.

He was also involved in the temporary repatriation of the Stone of Destiny.

Anyway, his Robert The Bruce trilogy would be a brilliant start.

Also love the earliest period novel, Druid Sacrifice which covers the life of Saint Mungo.

Nigel Tranter's novels are my favourite books.

Each one covers a particular period such as one king'reign.

All are meticulously researched. He studied everything to ensure historical accuracy and visited every location, walked every hill and glen.

The dialogue etc is then created as fiction but all very readable and entertaining and engrossing.

Tranter was an interesting person too.

He launched a legal case to have the Queen called Elizabeth 1st in Scotland as quite obviously Scotland has never had any other Queen Elizabeth.

He was also involved in the temporary repatriation of the Stone of Destiny.

Anyway, his Robert The Bruce trilogy would be a brilliant start.

Also love the earliest period novel, Druid Sacrifice which covers the life of Saint Mungo.

I agree 100% with all that.

his Macbeth book is also brill as is the Kenneth macAlpine one.

Want to get into Scottish History get some Tranters.....