Suggestions For Posh Hotel Overnight Stay - Birthday Treat - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Suggestions For Posh Hotel Overnight Stay - Birthday Treat

Hello,

need the collective knowledge of the TAMB to help me out.

Its my mums birthday next month (64) and I was going to get her a dinner/ b&b type stay at somewhere posh. One obvious location near her is Marr Hall but its only about 25 miles from her house so it might not feel like a proper night away.

Can anybody recommend somewhere a bit further a field, say the east coast that would do a similar gift voucher type overnight stay, somewhere posh?

cheers

Peebles Hydro's good for those kind of deals.

Some swanky hotels in Edinburgh might be worth a look too?...

That would be my suggestion. My old dear is a similar age to the OP's (slightly older) and loves Peebles Hydro. Lovely part of the country.

Edit: However, I've just had a look on Trip Advisor and recent reviews aren't great... The manager says that it's undergoing "huge change" at the moment, so now may not be the time to visit.

Edited by Charlie Endell

We love Crieff but if you're not going with kids it's maybe not ideal during the school hols.

That would be my suggestion. My old dear is a similar age to the OP's (slightly older) and loves Peebles Hydro. Lovely part of the country.

Edit: However, I've just had a look on Trip Advisor and recent reviews aren't great... The manager says that it's undergoing "huge change" at the moment, so now may not be the time to visit.

I think the owners of Crieff Hydro have bought it over recently so it could be under renovation. As nice as it was some parts were getting a bit dated...

Edited by Toepoke

Not on the east coast but Andy Murray's Hotel - Cromlix House - near Dunblane is amazing. I hear the afternoon teas are fab but we had dinner which was excellent and surprisingly reasonable - starters around £10 and mains around £20. Room cost is high though. Outstanding range of whisky too if that's of interest - a whole room set aside to display the whisky available.

Edited by jenblueeyes

Not on the east coast but Andy Murray's Hotel - Cromlix House - near Dunblane is amazing. I hear the afternoon teas are fab but we had dinner which was excellent and surprisingly reasonable - starters around £10 and mains around £20. Room cost is high though. Outstanding range of whisky too if that's of interest - a whole room set aside to display the whisky available.

Just realised that my profile pic is one that was taken at dinner in Cromlix House!

We had to cancel a dbb at Malmaison Dundee as our 2 yr old got sick last minute. No refund so sent my Mum and her pal who had arrived from Ayrshire to babysit for us in Broughty Ferry. They loved it. Thought it might be a bit modern for them but no. Loved the waterfront Tay views, even woth the works on progress, vosited

Oops on bus. Visited Discovery 100 mtrs away and Overgate shopping centre 50 mtrs. Old bitches couldn 't stop laughing at their luck. Kids can really pick their times to get ill. I was on a phuking major promise as well !

Anyway might be an option in a city centre as opposed to country house stylee, depends what your Mum ptefers.

Gleneagles ?

I was incredibly unimpressed with Gleneagles.

The spa's good, and Andrew Fairlie's restaurant is excellent, but the rest is an over-priced rip off. The standard rooms are like a 2 star B&B.

Avoid.

I was incredibly unimpressed with Gleneagles.

The spa's good, and Andrew Fairlie's restaurant is excellent, but the rest is an over-priced rip off. The standard rooms are like a 2 star B&B.

Avoid.

I've not been myself but know others who have and liked it - albeit at a price.

They sometimes do good deals though I think.