Suggestions For Posh Hotel Overnight Stay - Birthday Treat - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Suggestions For Posh Hotel Overnight Stay - Birthday Treat

We had to cancel a dbb at Malmaison Dundee as our 2 yr old got sick last minute. No refund so sent my Mum and her pal who had arrived from Ayrshire to babysit for us in Broughty Ferry. They loved it. Thought it might be a bit modern for them but no. Loved the waterfront Tay views, even woth the works on progress, vosited

Malmaison often do terrific weekend deals

Bloody hell ! People recommending Dundee for a visit!

Long may it continue. :ok:

Coincidentally I'm meeting up with some pals who are scattered all over Scotland for the first time in ages later today and we've chosen Dundee as the venue and the Malmaison as the place to stay for the overnighter. Will post my thoughts on the hotel and city after - looking forward to it anyway.

Just had a laugh on the phone with my Mum about her and her mate getting my night at Malmaison Dundee when the wee one was sick. She said the thing they really liked was sitting in a trendy/old fashioned cocktail bar sipping a mojito. Apparently made them feel like girls again ! I stopped her there so she couldn't tell me they went on the pull and got rattled off a couple of students. Septugenarians are fuking mental. :cheers3:

Not on the east coast but Andy Murray's Hotel - Cromlix House - near Dunblane is amazing. I hear the afternoon teas are fab but we had dinner which was excellent and surprisingly reasonable - starters around £10 and mains around £20. Room cost is high though. Outstanding range of whisky too if that's of interest - a whole room set aside to display the whisky available.

Another vote for here.

Went for a meal there recently. It was £90 for two. That was without wine. In fact think we both had tap water. They do a set menu for £30 a head but we liked the look of stuff on the full menu.

Exceptional though and worth every penny. Love the fact the meal is cooked in full view of everyone.

Agree with you about the afternoon teas. They looked excellent.

Coincidentally I'm meeting up with some pals who are scattered all over Scotland for the first time in ages later today and we've chosen Dundee as the venue and the Malmaison as the place to stay for the overnighter. Will post my thoughts on the hotel and city after - looking forward to it anyway.

Great night in Dundee - excellent lunch at Malmaison followed by a walk along the Perth Road, visits to several pubs and a top notch curry. Genuinely surprised at how good it was - some great old pubs and a really good breakfast at the Malmaison this morning.

Great night in Dundee - excellent lunch at Malmaison followed by a walk along the Perth Road, visits to several pubs and a top notch curry. Genuinely surprised at how good it was - some great old pubs and a really good breakfast at the Malmaison this morning.

I really like Dundee, could do with some better shopping but other than that .....

:ok:

I really like Dundee, could do with some better shopping but other than that .....

:ok: Who needs shopping ? :D

What sort of shops or brands would you be after ? There's not a huge amount of 'designer' shops but most of the main chains have a presence ?

Ach, I don't know. As I said, I probably wouldn't be going for the shopping anyway. Not much of a shopper in any case, go when I need something, don't understand people who 'go shopping' and wander aimlessly looking at and buying stuff they didn't really intend to.

Ok. Just think the shopping in Dundee is pretty decent for a small city, and wondered what 'better shopping' it needed. My favourite shop in Dundee is The Cheesery. It sells lots of cheese. There is also a new 'boutique' opened in the city centre (they started in Broughty Ferry) - M Boutique. Lots of really nice gear from labels I'd never heard of, but my Mrs is spending a fortune there, and reluctantly I have to agree it's really nice stuff.

Ok. Just think the shopping in Dundee is pretty decent for a small city, and wondered what 'better shopping' it needed. My favourite shop in Dundee is The Cheesery. It sells lots of cheese. There is also a new 'boutique' opened in the city centre (they started in Broughty Ferry) - M Boutique. Lots of really nice gear from labels I'd never heard of, but my Mrs is spending a fortune there, and reluctantly I have to agree it's really nice stuff.

I'll put them on my list next time I'm in Dundee not shopping :D