How Are Our Chances? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Are Our Chances?

Tartan_Wolf

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we win, we'll be pot 2. If we don't, we'll be in pot 3.

If Ireland win, they'll be pot 3. If they don't, we'll be in pot 4.

A win, for both teams is a massive boost to both their Euro 2016 and their World Cup 2018 chances.

Make no mistake; this is our biggest match since Italy at Hampden is November 2007.

There's the two team talks right there. Rather than formation and tactics, FIFA's ranking algorithm will be on whiteboards in the changing rooms.

One trait Gordon has instilled into us are that we are difficult to beat in competitive games. We also have more momentum behind us at present than Ireland do and more of a feelgood factor around the side than Ireland. Now that may not count for much in some people's eyes but I'd sooner have them than not. Also if you turn the clock back say two years Ireland were losing in a play-off whilst we had a real poor campaign. That tells me we are on the up whilst Ireland are on their way down. The fact that O'Neill is putting a lot of stock in 34-year-old Robbie Keane being the man for them - well I'd be worried if I were Irish to be depending on one so old - I'd sooner be looking to the future. That tells me their ain't a lot coming through for them. Sorry if the post offends our Irish visitors but that is how I see it.

One trait Gordon has instilled into us are that we are difficult to beat in competitive games. We also have more momentum behind us at present than Ireland do and more of a feelgood factor around the side than Ireland. Now that may not count for much in some people's eyes but I'd sooner have them than not. Also if you turn the clock back say two years Ireland were losing in a play-off whilst we had a real poor campaign. That tells me we are on the up whilst Ireland are on their way down. The fact that O'Neill is putting a lot of stock in 34-year-old Robbie Keane being the man for them - well I'd be worried if I were Irish to be depending on one so old - I'd sooner be looking to the future. That tells me their ain't a lot coming through for them. Sorry if the post offends our Irish visitors but that is how I see it.

Oxo?

Poor Robbie, sounds painful but hopefully puts him off his game on Saturday.

No offence taken mate. Now is Most definitely not our best era in international football....can't argue with that

Just a few things though:

The last playoff we were in.....we won , which was for euro 2012

the Last playoff we lost against France. ...6 years ago for WC2010

Not sure regarding your point on Keane as their is every chance MoN won't start him. Cud well be Murphy , long and hooligan providing the attacking threat....very hard to call what o neill will go with

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Cheers for correction Green_Tide_Rising.

Point regarding O'Neill was all the talk of Keane flying in from the States to bolster the attack. He is 34 now and if I were Irish I'd be wanting the re-inforcements to be a youngster knowing that he is one for the future being my point. I think we (Scotland) are now well-drilled in the system Strachan wants and it shows as we are tough now to beat in competitive matches. I am not sure I get that same sense from Ireland taking what some Irish posters here have posted such as pleading for your side to play the ball on the deck more - says a bit of unease/unrest among fans that isn't really there among Scots.

Good post. :ok:

I agree with you with regards to keepers but I think Marshall will get the nod.

I agree with you on left-back as well and depends how confident Gorden is feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if Whittaker gets the nod.

On centre-backs Berra or Greer well they are much of a muchness but may just opt for Berra's experience.

I'd go for Mulgrew. He's never let us down. Fletcher I feel has seen better days, McArthur I really don't rate and Morrison offers more going forward so again it depends on how confident Gordon is feelin.

As for the right wing it is a no-brainer. It has to be Maloney. Ritchie is not ready for a game of this scale yet and Forrest's final ball is poor. May be a good option to call on late on though to run at tired legs.

Agree with all except I'd like to see Robertson play but Whittaker's experiance may well sway it.

Marshall has done not wrong so far and can't see any reason to change it.

Seen Berra a few times this season for Ipswich and has looked solid everytime.

Think centre mid will depend on how WGS sees Ireland approaching the game Mulgrew would be the better option if he expects Ireland to play more attack minded.

Agree with all except I'd like to see Robertson play but Whittaker's experiance may well sway it.

Marshall has done not wrong so far and can't see any reason to change it.

Seen Berra a few times this season for Ipswich and has looked solid everytime.

Think centre mid will depend on how WGS sees Ireland approaching the game Mulgrew would be the better option if he expects Ireland to play more attack minded.

I cannot see both Hutton and Robertson playing. Both are far too attack-minded and would leave us short at the back which we cannot afford to do. In a match away to Ireland we can't go too expansive with selection.

Point regarding O'Neill was all the talk of Keane flying in from the States to bolster the attack. He is 34 now and if I were Irish I'd be wanting the re-inforcements to be a youngster knowing that he is one for the future being my point. I think we (Scotland) are now well-drilled in the system Strachan wants and it shows as we are tough now to beat in competitive matches. I am not sure I get that same sense from Ireland taking what some Irish posters here have posted such as pleading for your side to play the ball on the deck more - says a bit of unease/unrest among fans that isn't really there among Scots.

Aye ye are more settled alright for sure.

TBH we will never have another goal scorer like Keane ....65 goals for us.....unreal...never going to be matched...well not in my lifetime. He is getting on and the legs are slowing down but he still knows how to find the net for us....so he still has an important role for us.

Long/Murphy/Mcgoldrick are probably the realistic replacements but while they have many years ahead they ain't that young.

For sure..we all want the ball played on the grounde more....we haven't been pretty and thata disappointing.

However 2nd half against Poland in Dublin. ...we put the ball down and played sone lovely stuff and absolutely battered Poland. Hopefully MoN has learned from this and applies this style of play against Scotland.

No argument about it....Huge game for him....if we don't win on Saturday then the knives will be out.

What about the Czech game in 2011? A win there and we were in the play-offs...

.....and we'd have got that win but for that penalty.....and Avril would have been a hero ?

It's a measure of the mood in the Levein days that the build up to that game, and the atmosphere in the ground, was nothing like the other big occasions already mentioned

Am I right in thinking that Ireland have not beaten a team ranked higher than them in the FIFA rankings in any competitive match since 2001?

Correct. ....although we beat France 1-0 in Paris in 2009, WC Playoff 2nd leg. ....we lost the playoff in extra time.

Lots of draws against higher ranked teams.

Correct. ....although we beat France 1-0 in Paris in 2009, WC Playoff 2nd leg. ....we lost the playoff in extra time.

Lots of draws against higher ranked teams.

That is a shitey record but it's a record that typically Scotland are there for when it comes to an end.

That is a shitey record but it's a record that typically Scotland are there for when it comes to an end.

Yeah its a monkey on the back alright - no denying it

It will come to an end sometime for sure but I would be lying to you if I said i thought it will against ye guys on Saturday.

Hoping for a repeat performance of our second half against Poland in Dublin against ye.....but god knows which Ireland are going to turn up :mellow:

Were in for a very tough game either way

Yeah its a monkey on the back alright - no denying it

It will come to an end sometime for sure but I would be lying to you if I said i though it will against ye guys on Saturday.

Hoping for a repeat performance of our second half against Poland in Dublin against ye.....but god knows which Ireland are going to turn up :mellow:

Were in for a very tough game either way

I will say right here and now that we will struggle to come out of the game on Saturday if your lot turn in a performance to match second half of Polish game. I was very impressed with that. Also shows, as do our two recent games in Poland, that they can be got at in games too.

flying in from the States to bolster the attack

I'd be wanting the re-inforcements to be a youngster

one for the future

now well-drilled in the system

it shows as we are tough now to beat

pleading for your side

play the ball on the deck more

unrest among fans

Anyone else finding this weeks no half draggin....

My mind keeps changing re the result. A win and we are pretty much assured of 3rd which would be a dream with 4 games to go. Can't help feeling Ireland might dig somethin out for this one so if someone was to offer a 1-1 draw right now if bite their hand off as it would still be well with in our hands.