Heysel Disaster - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

It must of been your fault ; somehow though ?

Maybe Everton fans dressed up; or mistook you as undercover coppers etc

They seemed to have an inherent high pitched whine as part of that accent

Ay ; ay ?

might be my memory but I'm sure I've encountered Everton fans as well on my travels with the dandies and they were most certainly not the scouse scum Id previously encountered,as I've said C**ts of the highest order ....wouldn't trust then with their own grannies

might be my memory but I'm sure I've encountered Everton fans as well on my travels with the dandies and they were most certainly not the scouse scum Id previously encountered,as I've said C**ts of the highest order ....wouldn't trust then with their own grannies

Aye I know ; was an attempt at sarcasm

Was watching the highlights of that game this week ; for some reason

McGhee had a decent breakaway at 0-0 but bit of a pass back

What was the Dons support like there : few hundred ?

I recall the Classic Jarvie line from half time ; 3 quick goals and we're back in it

Didn't realise Andy Dornan was at left back

He showed us round pittodrie with BB few years earlier ; never quite made it did he

Dornan was the same age as me ,as a product of the Aberdeen Grammer school he was unique a football player from a rugby school,after a couple of years at the dandies I think he went to motherwell and then onto walsall, he used to run the sports bar in the now gt western hotel in neep city,he still drinks there as i often see him in there.the lassie called Alison (from cults) writes a column for some sunday paper may have had some "contact" with him at some time, dont quote me on this as I have been drinking since 16:00 and I was in the bridge of dee bar,..now that is the bar from star wars....

Dornan was the same age as me ,as a product of the Aberdeen Grammer school he was unique a football player from a rugby school,after a couple of years at the dandies I think he went to motherwell and then onto walsall, he used to run the sports bar in the now gt western hotel in neep city,he still drinks there as i often see him in there.the lassie called Alison (from cults) writes a column for some sunday paper may have had some "contact" with him at some time, dont quote me on this as I have been drinking since 16:00 and I was in the bridge of dee bar,..now that is the bar from star wars....

Used to go to Bertie's sports bar for a while

Part of egg & dart ; AMatola circuit

Was back in ABZ in March so took wife to brig of dee for a pint after an asda visit

Dee motel was popular ; only been in a few times

Ditto the park hotel ; abergeldie still there tho

GArtrhdee was pi$h for boozers tho

Copper beech and caley not great

Horrible, horrible night. Think this was the culmination of the disease that was hooliganism that was associated with the English game. Liverpool had to, and did, accept their part in what happened. But as mentioned above, and there is no whataboutery here, there were numerous factors which led to what happened:

-Lunatic decision to allocate Block Z to 'neutrals' when it was well known ticketless Liverpool and Juve fans would be desperate to get their hands on the tickets

- Crumbling shithole of a stadium that was not fit for purpose and, as mentioned above, was highlighted by LFC chief exec Peter Robinson as being so. Complaints fell on deaf ears

- Bars right next to the ground were opened all day and ignored by the police despite the fixture being classified as a potential powderkeg

Absolute tragedy. The other sad things about this was that a good man in Joe Fagan was absolutely broken in two by this, and an occasion that should have been his crowning glory before retirement ended in appalling tragedy. And the other sad thing is that it was used as point scoring after the events four years later at Hillsborough. Some people saw it as a comeuppance for what happened in Belgium. Very sad. Regardless of your viewpoints, it should never be forgotten that 135 people in total went to two massive footballing occasions. And never came home.

What was the Dons support like there : few hundred ?

I was there an' aw. Was in 6th year at school and skived a day off.

Dons support was about 2K. Nae problem with the Scousers.....a cracking night.

I've been to Anfield a few times and always enjoyed the experience.

I remember watching heysel on tv, shocking images and to think they played the game after those deaths.

Wouldn't happen now a days the game would be abandoned as a mark of respect and rightly so.

On a more personal note I was in Milan, travelling back from slovenia away with the TA. The kilt was in the bag and we were seconds way from getting a doing when they heard us speak in english.

Once they found out we were scottish they became more friendly, but they made it very clear they did not like english an in particular liverpool fans because of heysel.

Robroysboy - must have been a horrible experience but I've got to laugh at the self righteousness of Italian fans when it comes to hating English fansbecause of what happened. A lot of people didn't know of the fact that a Juve fan sneaked in a replica handgun into the stadium (found out to be a starting pistol but hey ho) and pictures show that they weren't angels themselves. Scores of their fans were acting like absolute scum even before it became known of the scores of deaths that occurred. .

Not to mention the Catania fans that were stabbed to death a couple of years ago.

Before I get jumped on, this is not whataboutery by any means but when it comes to hoolignaism even Stevie Wonder can see the Italians are up there with the worst elements in European footballl. Not forgetting the bampottery that those of us saw in the lower tier of the San Siro in 2005.

Robroysboy - must have been a horrible experience but I've got to laugh at the self righteousness of Italian fans when it comes to hating English fansbecause of what happened. A lot of people didn't know of the fact that a Juve fan sneaked in a replica handgun into the stadium (found out to be a starting pistol but hey ho) and pictures show that they weren't angels themselves. Scores of their fans were acting like absolute scum even before it became known of the scores of deaths that occurred. .

Not to mention the Catania fans that were stabbed to death a couple of years ago.

Before I get jumped on, this is not whataboutery by any means but when it comes to hoolignaism even Stevie Wonder can see the Italians are up there with the worst elements in European footballl. Not forgetting the bampottery that those of us saw in the lower tier of the San Siro in 2005.

know what your saying with italians ; been lot of incidents in past years of them bravely mobbing up ; scarves over faces and turning over bars etc sometimes with families involved etc ; roma v man utd some 7/8 years back , and was another incident in past few seasons

- but incident below us in san siro was pretty much hand bags wasn't it ? maybe a few flares thrown in, but lots of guys basically squaring up

As a teenage football obsessive 1985 was a real loss of innocence year, with the events at Kenilworth Road, Valley Parade, Heysel and Ninian Park. A dreadful year for the game...

St. Andrews also when a young boy was killed at a Birmingham v Leeds match when a wall was knocked down (happened same day as Valley Parade, yet only recently found out about this)

The footage of the riot at St Andrews was something else. Some of the worst violence I have ever seen.

Going to the football in the eighties was running the gauntlet. I started going to Saints games on my own in 84/85 and remember some terrible bother involving Hibs fans trying to storm the old North Bank. Nasty bastards.

Going to the football in the eighties was running the gauntlet.

Yup. Things kicked off most games on terraces even in the English 4th division - no effective segregation. And you didn't need to be at games. The worst I was involved in was in a train carriage when a bunch of Cambridge Utd twats kicked off. Carnage.

The same season (I think) as the wall collapse at St Andrews I was a few yards from a wall that collapsed at Millmoor at a Rotherham v Rovers game. Broken bones but no deaths.

Despite it all, Heysel was something else. As others, watched it on TV and something changed for me that night. It was ing bad.

Edited by DonnyTJS

Going to the football in the eighties was running the gauntlet.

That is what is felt like to me as a teenager. I would not class the typical football day out as enjoyable in the 80's. It was only enjoyable from what i could work out in that you somehow avoided getting your head kicked in, a big phew. Was never into gangs of any kind so football never worked for me, always some behind you, chaos.

St. Andrews also when a young boy was killed at a Birmingham v Leeds match when a wall was knocked down (happened same day as Valley Parade, yet only recently found out about this)

That's right, on any other day it would've been headline news, it was a bit of a side story unfortunately.

Not taking sides. I think both sets of fans share the blame for heysel.

The Italians have a hooligan element and are famous for stabing people in the bum, just glad it wasn't me.

As a teenage football obsessive 1985 was a real loss of innocence year, with the events at Kenilworth Road, Valley Parade, Heysel and Ninian Park. A dreadful year for the game...

This one really irks me - NO-ONE died at Kenilworth Rd, not even close - Yet this is continually lumped in with "Hysel" when the subject comes up and Millwall fans, then, as now, totally vilified..whereas Liverpool fans ? Well, they're just lovable rogues aren't they ? Not their fault 39 people died in Brussels, no Sir...

This one really irks me - NO-ONE died at Kenilworth Rd, not even close - Yet this is continually lumped in with "Hysel" when the subject comes up and Millwall fans, then, as now, totally vilified..whereas Liverpool fans ? Well, they're just lovable rogues aren't they ? Not their fault 39 people died in Brussels, no Sir...

yeah, same views, but can't be arced with the flak - terry, jerry etc ayh ayh ; they do don't they tho